The AD's charge | Syracusefan.com

The AD's charge

PoppyHart

All American
Q1. What are the 3 largest responsibilities of an AD at an FBS institution, and how would you allocate them to reach 100%? (I know there are many responsibilities, but assume only 3).

Q2. What grade would you give the current SU AD?

In my mind, it's

1. Raise revenues (Fundraising, increasing attendance, merchandising, etc...) (45%) (7)
2. Hire the right individuals, especially coaches (40%) (5)
3. Use athletics as platform for raising school's overall reputation (15%) (not sure)

1. Field successful programs (ie. winning records, conference championships, graduate players etc.)
2, Hire the coaches necessary to accomplish #1
3. Generate revenue from the revenue genrating sports based upon #2 and #1

I would give TGD a B. He hit a home run getting us into the ACC and is trying to upgrade the facilities and overall profile of our olympic sports. Hiring FB coaches, not so good...

1. Fundraising
2. Hiring and Firing
3. Run a clean department/avoid NCAA sanctions

I give Gross a B+. If football was stronger, I would give him an A-. He has done an admirable job in fundraising and upgrading the facilities in a difficult economy. He has hired some very good coaches in the non-revenue sports with several of those achieving very high national rankings and unprecedented success for SU. I think overall, SUs student athletes have performed well outside of sports, with solid academic rankings (hoops aside) while still achieving a lot of success.