The APR comes out next week | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The APR comes out next week

according to espn, alabama and lville have good enough apr scores to warrant an article. it appears the apr is something that can substitute for toilet paper when using the bathroom. i never had a doubt the sec football schools would find their way around it.

MCW came back to school after the FF and finished the semester earning good grades. His mother wrote a blog for WEEI in Boston and had this to say:

Michael chose to stay at Syracuse and finish school. A lot of draft prospects leave school to train as soon as their NCAA tournament is over. When this happens, the team can suffer academically if the player does not finish the semester. It sounds strange that a player would choose to leave early and not finish school, but it is common. The rational is that after the tournament, college basketball coaches spend a lot of their time recruiting so they are not around to train the players and prepare them for the NBA draft workouts.
There are also NCAA rules about how much time a coach can spend with a player out of season. There is also the fact that some players value leaving school more than their education. Michael carried five classes and he finished with the highest GPA on the team. It was not easy considering the amount of time his team spent on the road second semester. Syracuse did an amazing job staying on him to keep up with his work when he was on the road. The academic advisor and tutors worked hard to make sure Michael made up all his work. The tough part for Michael was missing class. It is hard to miss the lectures and the actual teaching in the classroom and still do well. It was also up to Michael to take advantage of the tutoring and writing workshops. It was his responsibility to communicate with his teachers. His last three weeks at school were exhausting for him with him attending classes and finishing the makeup work.

I am all for SU's student athlete's being successful in life, both during their time at SU, and after they leave.

I will also be the first to admit that I truly believe that MCW would greatly benefit from another year in the program, though I understand the economics of things makes staying a bad financial move.

I understand when some fans get upset when a player like MCW leaves, but when you hear a story like the above quote, I just can't see how any true SU fan wouldn't be a lifelong fan and supporter of MCW.

Everything with the APR is a year behind, so 09 won't be off the books yet. The score for last year is the one coming out next week. The score for next year will be 09, 10, 11, and 12.

That being said; I've looked into this a number of times, even with the 09 score still involved we should be fine.

2008-09 - 912 (immediate penalty of 2 schollies)
2009-10 - 928
2010-11 - 936

According to this from the NCAA, teams must have a 4 year average of 900 and at least 930 in the two most recent years to be eligible. We have the 4 year score in the bank; we need 924 or better for 2011-12 to be secure; I am sure we have it.

Next year, it gets tougher: you need a 4 year average of 930 with 940 in the two most recent years. Unless the NCAA re-investigates Southerland and disallows his grades (not gonna happen), SU will have an excellent 2012-13 score and will be OK under those standards.

Those are the rolling scores you posted, correct? I believe the 2009 score was something awful like 865, and 2010 was close to perfect.

So yeah, we should be fine, especially with the 865 rolling off next year

Those are the rolling scores you posted, correct? I believe the 2009 score was something awful like 865, and 2010 was close to perfect.

So yeah, we should be fine, especially with the 865 rolling off next year
yah, it's what the NCAA calls the "multi year rate"
662013124316pm.jpg

Small word change from post above, but possibly a big change for some schools. It is 900 multiyear or 930 two year average and 930 multiyear or 940 two year average.

See quoted NCAA language below. When SU loses the bad 09 score the Orange should be in the clear unless there is a another bad or worse that 09 year.

"The new postseason eligibility structure will take effect in the 2012-13 academic year, with a two-year implementation window before the benchmark moves from 900 to 930. For access to postseason competition in 2012-13 and 2013-14, teams must achieve a 900 multi-year APR or a 930 average over the most recent two years to be eligible.
In 2014-15, teams that don’t achieve the 930 benchmark for their four-year APR or at least a 940 average for the most recent two years will be ineligible for postseason competition."

APR is one of the most awesomely convoluted things I've ever beheld.

here is the deal folks, dion left in good standing, even though he left 2 days after the ohio state loss, does not matter, he did what he had to do. he completed term papers, did what he had to do. did he leave with a 4.0 GPA, no, but he passed, meaning he left in good standing. plus as i was talking to a poster tonight(an insider), in 09 apr was bad, in 10 and 11 we had a 1.000, meaning a perfect score. mookie left in good standing, he was eligible in 1=jan of 12, the only one who hurt was was fab, so look at our scores, the last 4 years, we will be fine.

In that recent thread about Devo being on the radio, I thought someone posted an interview with him where he said he graduated. Am I mistaken there?
graduated. good student.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom