The APR comes out next week | Syracusefan.com

The APR comes out next week

Alsacs

Living Legend
Does anybody know when our bad APR year from Devo, Flynn, Harris will finally be wiped off the books, and what does our current APR situation look like as it relates to the NCAA Tournament.

The APR is a four-year, rolling number. The last season for those guys was 08-09, so it should be off the books.

the 09 APR is gone. in 10, andy, AO and wes left in good standing, in 11, rick did, 12 kris and scoop and dion did, not sure on fab, think we will be fine

the 09 APR is gone. in 10, andy, AO and wes left in good standing, in 11, rick did, 12 kris and scoop and dion did, not sure on fab, think we will be fine

fab will hurt as will waiters probably. dont see how waiters finished up since he left campus right after the ncaa's and didn't come back. the '10 class definitely helps. cqant remember about ricky, kris or jardine.

Yeah Fab is going to hurt what was our APR from last year? I can't find it we should be fine this year as Triche, Southerland graduated I believe, and the two walkons on scholarship had to help.

So leaving early to go to the NBA because you're good enough to (obviously some players aren't "ready" but still jump) hurts that colleges APR?

Joke.

So leaving early to go to the NBA because you're good enough to (obviously some players aren't "ready" but still jump) hurts that colleges APR?

Joke.
Its not leaving early its not finishing your semester of classes after the NCAA tournament. Wes Johnson finished the semester and left in good shape.
The reason Kentucky doesn't get hammered is because whoever Cal pays to take of the UK 1 and done players course work gets them adequate grades.
Fab Melo F'ed SU over because he didn't finish his classes and didn't care for college. I think Dion finished his course so we should be fine, and MCW did the same thing he posted on twitter how he was finishing his classes, and Triche, Joseph, Southerland, Scoop all graduated.

Joke.

Yeah, the APR is far from intuitive. It punishes the program for something that is mostly out of its control (other that not recruiting a$$holes) and punishes current and future athletes for something they certainly couldn't control. Punishing schools for athletes who don't pass their classes is one thing. Punishing them for athletes who don't finish the semester because they decided to drop out for whatever reason is idiotic.

Joke.

If they stop going to class it does

MCW came back to school after the FF and finished the semester earning good grades. His mother wrote a blog for WEEI in Boston and had this to say:

Michael chose to stay at Syracuse and finish school. A lot of draft prospects leave school to train as soon as their NCAA tournament is over. When this happens, the team can suffer academically if the player does not finish the semester. It sounds strange that a player would choose to leave early and not finish school, but it is common. The rational is that after the tournament, college basketball coaches spend a lot of their time recruiting so they are not around to train the players and prepare them for the NBA draft workouts.
There are also NCAA rules about how much time a coach can spend with a player out of season. There is also the fact that some players value leaving school more than their education. Michael carried five classes and he finished with the highest GPA on the team. It was not easy considering the amount of time his team spent on the road second semester. Syracuse did an amazing job staying on him to keep up with his work when he was on the road. The academic advisor and tutors worked hard to make sure Michael made up all his work. The tough part for Michael was missing class. It is hard to miss the lectures and the actual teaching in the classroom and still do well. It was also up to Michael to take advantage of the tutoring and writing workshops. It was his responsibility to communicate with his teachers. His last three weeks at school were exhausting for him with him attending classes and finishing the makeup work.

MCW came back to school after the FF and finished the semester earning good grades. His mother wrote a blog for WEEI in Boston and had this to say:

Michael chose to stay at Syracuse and finish school. A lot of draft prospects leave school to train as soon as their NCAA tournament is over. When this happens, the team can suffer academically if the player does not finish the semester. It sounds strange that a player would choose to leave early and not finish school, but it is common. The rational is that after the tournament, college basketball coaches spend a lot of their time recruiting so they are not around to train the players and prepare them for the NBA draft workouts.
There are also NCAA rules about how much time a coach can spend with a player out of season. There is also the fact that some players value leaving school more than their education. Michael carried five classes and he finished with the highest GPA on the team. It was not easy considering the amount of time his team spent on the road second semester. Syracuse did an amazing job staying on him to keep up with his work when he was on the road. The academic advisor and tutors worked hard to make sure Michael made up all his work. The tough part for Michael was missing class. It is hard to miss the lectures and the actual teaching in the classroom and still do well. It was also up to Michael to take advantage of the tutoring and writing workshops. It was his responsibility to communicate with his teachers. His last three weeks at school were exhausting for him with him attending classes and finishing the makeup work.

Good for him (and us). It's the way it should be.

Sent using my Commodore 64

really?
I'll try to find later, but I remember reading posts (articles?) about Dion leaving in good standing. Obv, a post is not definitive, but I believe there were several.

I'll try to find later, but I remember reading posts (articles?) about Dion leaving in good standing. Obv, a post is not definitive, but I believe there were several.

I remember those posts and I made the same comments then. Waiters was a big tweeter and it was easy to follow his travels. I think it was Las Vegas where he went to train right after the Ncaa's.

I remember those posts and I made the same comments then. Waiters was a big tweeter and it was easy to follow his travels. I think it was Las Vegas where he went to train right after the Ncaa's.

A pretty reliable poster indicated Dion finished in good standing...

The Straight Scoop from Cto

If they stop going to class it does

So it's not technically about "graduating", it's about going to class consistently?

For instance, a player stays for one year, leaves for the NBA, but got good grades in the classes he had in his only year at school. He obviously didn't graduate but had good academic standing. That is better than if a player stays for four years and bombs a large portion of his classes senior year?

Basically, it's not about how long you stay but how you do while you're there?

A pretty reliable poster indicated Dion finished in good standing...

The Straight Scoop from Cto

Ha. She used the word apparently. I guess my question was then and is now...how, when he was not here on campus at all per himself. One poster says online courses.

So it's not technically about "graduating", it's about going to class consistently?

For instance, a player stays for one year, leaves for the NBA, but got good grades in the classes he had in his only year at school. He obviously didn't graduate but had good academic standing. That is better than if a player stays for four years and bombs a large portion of his classes senior year?

Basically, it's not about how long you stay but how you do while you're there?

Yes, you only have to be "on track".

Everything with the APR is a year behind, so 09 won't be off the books yet. The score for last year is the one coming out next week. The score for next year will be 09, 10, 11, and 12.

That being said; I've looked into this a number of times, even with the 09 score still involved we should be fine.

Doesn't mookie count against the apr until he graduates from another school?....

Does anybody know when our bad APR year from Devo, Flynn, Harris will finally be wiped off the books, and what does our current APR situation look like as it relates to the NCAA Tournament.

In that recent thread about Devo being on the radio, I thought someone posted an interview with him where he said he graduated. Am I mistaken there?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom