The Athletic article on Girard | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic article on Girard

A few quotes...

“I’ve always wanted to play the point and make plays for others. I’m best with the ball in my hands.”

"The question becomes how a second ballhandler would change what Girard does."

“Joe is our point guard,” associate head coach Adrian Autry says. “At the same time, Kadary is a really good point guard himself.”

"This summer the coaches have said Girard improved his game, and not all of those leaps had anything to do with scoring."

"if the coaches had to choose, they said they’ll happily take his higher assists numbers over points. "

“Joe has had the most days (this summer) where he was the best player in the gym,” one person close to the team says. “There are several days now where he was the clear-cut best player, hands down. I think between him and Kadary, we’re going to have some options at point to keep defenses on their toes.”

*oh no oh no I feel the unreasonable expectations a’rumbling within**
Is there anything more fearful than when a fan base begins to savor hopeful expectations that might exceed future performance? Don't these people realize that entire civilizations have fallen as a direct result of average folks daring to succumb to joyful optimism, based on encouraging reports? Don't these naive people realize that allowing themselves to entertain optimistic thoughts actually causes bad things to happen?

I actually heard one of these rubes rationalize his optimism by claiming he was aware that the high hopes he was relishing could end up being replaced by disappointment, due to unforeseen events, but he was also equally aware that the bad things that the "sober realists" expected might not happen either. So the way he saw it was, there's no penalty at all to be paid for being optimistic while the reports coming in are still supporting the optimistic POV.

If events end up turning sour, he said, he just adjusts his expectations to the new realities and experiences disappointment, but his disappointment then won't be any greater than the disappointment that the pessimists would also be experiencing at that time. If/when the bad possibilities unfold, the 'sober realists' will not have protected themselves from the disappointment they'll feel by being pessimistic from the start. They'll just have suffered for months while the optimists were enjoying their high hopes for a while.

On the other hand, he said, if things do end up going well, maybe even exceeding the optimists' expectations, then he and all the other optimists will have been able to fully enjoy a wonderful season the whole time, while the pessimists had unfortunately filled their heads with fear of disappointment for months, which deprived them of the enjoyment they would have experienced if they had just allowed themselves to enjoy the expectations that the optimists had been celebrating all along.

So as he saw it, if things go well, the pessimists suffer for nothing for an extended period, and if things go badly, the optimists end up suffering less than the pessimists, since at least for a time, they had good reason to feel good about future prospects. What is the advantage, he asked, to being pessimistic?

Have you ever heard anything so crazy?
I shook my head and smiled a whisper, knowing all about the place...
;)

Is there anything more fearful than when a fan base begins to savor hopeful expectations that might exceed future performance? Don't these people realize that entire civilizations have fallen as a direct result of average folks daring to succumb to joyful optimism, based on encouraging reports? Don't these naive people realize that allowing themselves to entertain optimistic thoughts actually causes bad things to happen?

I actually heard one of these rubes rationalize his optimism by claiming he was aware that the high hopes he was relishing could end up being replaced by disappointment, due to unforeseen events, but he was also equally aware that the bad things that the "sober realists" expected might not happen either. So the way he saw it was, there's no penalty at all to be paid for being optimistic while the reports coming in are still supporting the optimistic POV.

If events end up turning sour, he said, he just adjusts his expectations to the new realities and experiences disappointment, but his disappointment then won't be any greater than the disappointment that the pessimists would also be experiencing at that time. If/when the bad possibilities unfold, the 'sober realists' will not have protected themselves from the disappointment they'll feel by being pessimistic from the start. They'll just have suffered for months while the optimists were enjoying their high hopes for a while.

On the other hand, he said, if things do end up going well, maybe even exceeding the optimists' expectations, then he and all the other optimists will have been able to fully enjoy a wonderful season the whole time, while the pessimists had unfortunately filled their heads with fear of disappointment for months, which deprived them of the enjoyment they would have experienced if they had just allowed themselves to enjoy the expectations that the optimists had been celebrating all along.

So as he saw it, if things go well, the pessimists suffer for nothing for an extended period, and if things go badly, the optimists end up suffering less than the pessimists, since at least for a time, they had good reason to feel good about future prospects. What is the advantage, he asked, to being pessimistic?

;)
I think the issue is people here seem to get excited in very unrealistic ways and then start crushing kids when they don't end up being Carmelo Part II.

I expect Joe to be a better PG this year. I vast majority of good players improve as Sophomores. That said I’m very excited to hear that Richmond is playing well in the PG role. He doesn’t have to be the greatest ever, just having an effective back up point guard and the option of playing two playmakers at the same time would be a vast improvement over last year‘s situation.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, which is probably very little, I think Girard actually has quite a bit of room to grow as a player. It's a little unusual b/c I feel like we tend to get more excited about guys like Guerrier where you can see they have impressive athletic attributes to go along with some basketball skill.

Girard is kind of the other way around: heavy on skill with a little bit more limited athleticism (or, if you'd prefer, physical attributes -- he's not getting taller and unlikely to ever be a blow-by guy). But having said that, I think we're looking at a kid who could be a really good passer. Not sure he's on an MCW/Rautins level there but he's already more creative, IMO, than a guy like Buddy and probably a more effective passer than Triche or Frank Howard, who despite all the criticism of the latter, both ended up in the top 10 for career assists (though Triche never averaged more than 3.6/game -- Girard already averaged 3.5 apg last season).

The way Girard moves the ball creates opportunities. He looks to push tempo and has that skill of seeing passes many other guys don't. I only expect this to improve.

I also think he can be a more effective shooter. Not sure he'll be a 40%+ 3-pt guy any time soon since we don't run an offense that creates the types of looks for him that guys like JJ Reddick and Trajon Langdon feasted on at Duke and because he's handling the ball most of the game. But that doesn't mean he can't increase his efficiency (he shot .324 from deep last season) and I think he'll start to potentially make a few more of those deep bombs, which can really open things up for the interior guys.

I'm also intrigued by how he'll develop as a scorer inside the 3-point line. We saw buddy add that little turnaround jumper last season and while it doesn't make him the most dangerous offensive player we've seen, it's certainly something allowed him to add a little variety to his game and up his scoring output. Girard, IMO, is quicker and perhaps a little craftier in there. Not sure he'll ever do much at the rim, but I could see him come back with a little floater and some other deliveries in there to increase his output. Think that could be very interesting.

Anyway, think those factors plus improving a bit defensively could make him a much better player even if the general output is somewhat similar.

Last edited:
For what it's worth, which is probably very little, I think Girard actually has quite a bit of room to grow as a player. It's a little unusual b/c I feel like we tend to get more excited about guys like Guerrier where you can see they have impressive athletic attributes to go along with some basketball skill.

Girard is kind of the other way around: heavy on skill with a little bit more limited athleticism (or, if you'd prefer, physical attributes -- he's not getting taller and unlikely to ever be a blow-by guy). But having said that, I think we're looking at a kid who could be a really good passer. Not sure he's on an MCW/Rautins level there but he's already more creative, IMO, than a guy like Buddy and probably a more effective passer than Triche or Frank Howard, who despite all the criticism of the latter, both ended up in the top 10 for career assists (though Triche never averaged more than 3.6/game -- Girard already averaged 3.5 apg last season).

The way Girard moves the ball creates opportunities. He looks to push tempo and has that skill of seeing passes many other guys don't. I only expect this to improve.

I also think he can be a more effective shooter. Not sure he'll be a 40%+ 3-pt guy any time soon since we don't run an offense that creates the types of looks for him that guys like JJ Reddick and Trajon Langdon feasted on at Duke and because he's handling the ball most of the game. But that doesn't mean he can't increase his efficiency (he shot .235 from deep last season) and I think he'll start to potentially make a few more of those deep bombs, which can really open things up for the interior guys.

I'm also intrigued by how he'll develop as a scorer inside the 3-point line. We saw buddy add that little turnaround jumper last season and while it doesn't make him the most dangerous offensive player we've seen, it's certainly something allowed him to add a little variety to his game and up his scoring output. Girard, IMO, is quicker and perhaps a little craftier in there. Not sure he'll ever do much at the rim, but I could see him come back with a little floater and some other deliveries in there to increase his output. Think that could be very interesting.

Anyway, think those factors plus improving a bit defensively could make him a much better player even if the general output is somewhat similar.
Uh... Girard shot .324 from 3.

;)
Brilliant! This could apply to other upcoming situations *cough* as well. It is always better to be optimistic! It is better for physical and mental health. People are afraid of looking stupid, so they feign cynicism. It is uncool to be enthusiastic. I don’t know why that is.

Whoever Richmond's hype guy is I should hire him.
Flavor-Flav-MN2S.png