The Athletic article on Girard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Athletic article on Girard

For what it's worth, which is probably very little, I think Girard actually has quite a bit of room to grow as a player. It's a little unusual b/c I feel like we tend to get more excited about guys like Guerrier where you can see they have impressive athletic attributes to go along with some basketball skill.

Girard is kind of the other way around: heavy on skill with a little bit more limited athleticism (or, if you'd prefer, physical attributes -- he's not getting taller and unlikely to ever be a blow-by guy). But having said that, I think we're looking at a kid who could be a really good passer. Not sure he's on an MCW/Rautins level there but he's already more creative, IMO, than a guy like Buddy and probably a more effective passer than Triche or Frank Howard, who despite all the criticism of the latter, both ended up in the top 10 for career assists (though Triche never averaged more than 3.6/game -- Girard already averaged 3.5 apg last season).

The way Girard moves the ball creates opportunities. He looks to push tempo and has that skill of seeing passes many other guys don't. I only expect this to improve.

I also think he can be a more effective shooter. Not sure he'll be a 40%+ 3-pt guy any time soon since we don't run an offense that creates the types of looks for him that guys like JJ Reddick and Trajon Langdon feasted on at Duke and because he's handling the ball most of the game. But that doesn't mean he can't increase his efficiency (he shot .324 from deep last season) and I think he'll start to potentially make a few more of those deep bombs, which can really open things up for the interior guys.

I'm also intrigued by how he'll develop as a scorer inside the 3-point line. We saw buddy add that little turnaround jumper last season and while it doesn't make him the most dangerous offensive player we've seen, it's certainly something allowed him to add a little variety to his game and up his scoring output. Girard, IMO, is quicker and perhaps a little craftier in there. Not sure he'll ever do much at the rim, but I could see him come back with a little floater and some other deliveries in there to increase his output. Think that could be very interesting.

Anyway, think those factors plus improving a bit defensively could make him a much better player even if the general output is somewhat similar.
Buddy added a pull-up jumper to his arsenal last season.

LOL did you forget Carey?
Yes, Carey was def hyped but still seen as a backup to Frank and Tyus as a freshman. But he was also a top 50 kid (Kadary is a more under the radar nationally). And as Cuse fans, we’re used to having instant-impact freshman coming in almost every year.

A few quotes...

“I’ve always wanted to play the point and make plays for others. I’m best with the ball in my hands.”

"The question becomes how a second ballhandler would change what Girard does."

“Joe is our point guard,” associate head coach Adrian Autry says. “At the same time, Kadary is a really good point guard himself.”

"This summer the coaches have said Girard improved his game, and not all of those leaps had anything to do with scoring."

"if the coaches had to choose, they said they’ll happily take his higher assists numbers over points. "

“Joe has had the most days (this summer) where he was the best player in the gym,” one person close to the team says. “There are several days now where he was the clear-cut best player, hands down. I think between him and Kadary, we’re going to have some options at point to keep defenses on their toes.”

I also hear that he has grown to 6-7, 210 lbs.

More Richmond hype...hes riding the pine though.

I certainly hope not. If he doesn't play close to 20 minutes a game this year, we're going to be a bubble team again.

Uh... Girard shot .324 from 3.

He was doing very well in the first half of the season. He and Buddy both fell off badly after the New Year.

Edit: You know what? I'm wrong about that. While Buddy did have a tough time late in the season, Girard actually had several very good games down the stretch. They both went through slumps, but it wasn't so symmetrical as I remembered it being.

I certainly hope not. If he doesn't play close to 20 minutes a game this year, we're going to be a bubble team again.
images (3).jpeg