The Ballad of Buddy Scruggs | Syracusefan.com

The Ballad of Buddy Scruggs

His holster wasn't empty in that final stretch.

61eaa23880244c336b9fcfc08a6955fc.jpg

UVA didn't forget how to play D and their gameplan was to slow him down.

Glad he found a way late to get his.

Last edited:
First 37 mins: 1-11, 2 pts.

Final 8 mins: 4-6, 12 of our final 20 pts.

Shooters keep shooting.
Today's results - against the #1 Defense in college hoops! - probably won't stop some folks from making the argument that JB plays our guys too many minutes, and that as a result they simply don't have the legs to make key plays down the stretch.

People are going to primarily focus on the explosion in OT offensively -- and justifiably so.

But lost amidst that is that we had a REALLY STRONG defensive performance today. For a long stretch in the second half, it looked like we wouldn't be able to mount a strong enough scoring performance to pull it off. Then suddenly the rim turned into a hula hoop for our guys.

We are so dangerous when we have three guys hitting from deep. We absolutely buried them in OT.

People are going to primarily focus on the explosion in OT offensively -- and justifiably so.

But lost amidst that is that we had a REALLY STRONG defensive performance today. For a long stretch in the second half, it looked like we wouldn't be able to mount a strong enough scoring performance to pull it off. Then suddenly the rim turned into a hula hoop for our guys.

We are so dangerous when we have three guys hitting from deep. We absolutely buried them in OT.
That is really the big difference today.

Their aggressiveness on both offense and defense and the overall energy they put into the game was terrific.
If they play like this from now on, it could get very interesting.

There won't be too many games where our shooting will be as bad as it was;; Coup[le decent shooting with today's effort on defense and we've got a very competitive team.

To be objective a zone with bad personnel will be much more effective if it is able to sag off the perimeter. It was a gamble and it paid off tonight.

Today's results - against the #1 Defense in college hoops! - probably won't stop some folks from making the argument that JB plays our guys too many minutes, and that as a result they simply don't have the legs to make key plays down the stretch.

Man, if we had lost in regulation can you imagine how sad you would be that the argument would be going the other way?

I don't think anyone has ever posted that the kid's are going to DIE after 40 minutes...they remain capable functioning human beings that can still play basketball better than 99.9% of the population on Earth.

UVA had 4 guys go over 40 minutes as well...I think. Perhaps they got more super tired? lolol

Who cares, we won!! LGO!!

Had we lost in regulation, Buddy would have been the goat. Not only the poor overall performance up to that point, but more specifically the blown play on what looked like a wide open drive to the hoop and the missed wide open trey attempt.

very, very happy to see him pull it together and go from goat to hero in a heartbeat !!!!

Man, if we had lost in regulation can you imagine how sad you would be that the argument would be going the other way?

I don't think anyone has ever posted that the kid's are going to DIE after 40 minutes...they remain capable functioning human beings that can still play basketball better than 99.9% of the population on Earth.

UVA had 4 guys go over 40 minutes as well...I think. Perhaps they got more super tired? lolol

Who cares, we won!! LGO!!
Nah, I just would’ve been sad that we lost.

It’s funny... if I was the head coach, I would absolutely try to get my guys at least a brief rest in each half. I’d try to make substitutions just before a TV timeout, so I could maximize the rest for the subbed-out player.

But I also have exactly zero D-1 coaching victories, so what do I know?

Had we lost in regulation, Buddy would have been the goat. Not only the poor overall performance up to that point, but more specifically the blown play on what looked like a wide open drive to the hoop and the missed wide open trey attempt.

very, very happy to see him pull it together and go from goat to hero in a heartbeat !!!!

I think we pay long term for Buddy ignoring the gift presented by the God of Monster Dunks.

The lane was parted, and Buddy had bestowed upon him an open path to the monster dunk- yet he refuseth the offering.

Instead he taketh upon himself to go for an awkward attempt at some sort of reverse lay-up. :(

I think we pay long term for Buddy ignoring the gift presented by the God of Monster Dunks.

The lane was parted, and Buddy had bestowed upon him an open path to the monster dunk- yet he refuseth the offering.

Instead he taketh upon himself to go for an awkward attempt at some sort of reverse lay-up. :(
Do we know if Buddy can dunk?

If I wasn't on the wagon, I would have spewethed the the drink from my mouth(from laughter)! This post may have been my favorite post of the day nomination today, and the one after it asking if we know if Buddy can dunk was pretty good as well! (wish we had a headbanging emoticon to tribute epic posts like this with!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom