The Battle for NYC | Syracusefan.com

The Battle for NYC

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
Will the ACC also pursue MSG? The Big East might be in trouble. BTW, Delany sounds crazier with every passing quote. What is the root cause? The problems with the B1G network? The PR disasters that are Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State. Or the parasite Rutgerian tick that started the death spiral?

It's nonsense...unless the plan is for all the Big 10 schools to move to the northeast

Well there is a very easy plan to make it happen for the ACC. Just invite Villanova and Georgetown to the league and boom goes the Big East contract with MSG. :p

Obviously the above said with tongue firmly planted in cheek.

Cheers,
Neil

2018 big ten tourney outdrew the big east tourney by over 10,000 fans . . . but they also played more games. on a per game basis, the big east outdrew the b1g by over 2000 per.
both conference tourneys outdrew the acc tourney at barclays, by a lot. it would appear that the acc needs a strong syracuse squad to kick a nyc tournament to the next level

Will the ACC also pursue MSG? The Big East might be in trouble. BTW, Delany sounds crazier with every passing quote. What is the root cause? The problems with the B1G network? The PR disasters that are Ohio State, Michigan State and Penn State. Or the parasite Rutgerian tick that started the death spiral?

Unless the Big 10 pays them off, MSG would never turn down the ACC, with Syracuse, Duke, UNCA and Louisville. Those 4 would far, far outdraw most of the B10 schools.

Last edited:
2018 big ten tourney outdrew the big east tourney by over 10,000 fans . . . but they also played more games. on a per game basis, the big east outdrew the b1g by over 2000 per.
both conference tourneys outdrew the acc tourney at barclays, by a lot. it would appear that the acc needs a strong syracuse squad to kick a nyc tournament to the next level

My understanding is that attendance is on a "per session" basis, and outside of the championship game or the first day play-in round, it's normally two games per session. The per session attendance difference between the Big Ten and the Big East at MSG was 15,165 for the B1G and 18,790 for the BE or a gap of over 3.6K per session which might partially be explained by the B1G tourney being played a week earlier.

The ACC at Barclays was the true anomaly, since each "session" was for the entire day rather than have them split up the 2nd round day and the quarterfinals into two sessions on each day. I suspect this might have been due to the ACC being unsure how well their fans would travel to NYC, unlike let's say DC and the Verizon Center where the usual set-up applied.

With the Verizon Center the Big Ten apparently didn't even report attendance figures for the initial day, but for the remaining 4 days their attendance per session average was a meager 13,240 (again without that first day totals being factored in), while the year previously even with the lower first day session total included, the ACC average 17,800 per session, while not counting the first day total the average attendance per session was 19,550.

Cheers,
Neil

MSG is so accessible for all the folks in Jersey, Westchester, CT, etc. Barclay Center is not. This does not apply to just SU fans ... It also applies to all the Duke, ND, UNC, etc fans ... who live outside the city.

The Twitter guy misquoted Delany. He said, "A powerful promotional plan." That said, I really hate Jim Delany.

I liked it better the other way, I have to admit. I imagine Delany begging the Garden to let them have the tournament there, tears streaming down his face.

The B1G is going to take MSG to the next level? WHat the F are you talking about Delaney?

Yeah, Dolan is going to love that approach.

MSG is so accessible for all the folks in Jersey, Westchester, CT, etc. Barclay Center is not. This does not apply to just SU fans ... It also applies to all the Duke, ND, UNC, etc fans ... who live outside the city.
Accessibility, true. But even more importantly, history.

Yeah, Dolan is going to love that approach.
Agreed...Dolan is in the cat bird seat. Location, Location, Location

I wouldn't be surprised to see him tell the ACC, B1G and BE to bring forth proposals.

I could see him getting premium offers from the B1G and ACC to come in 1-2 years over 5. Maybe even 2 straight years. The BE better have a backup in Philly or DC

Wouldn't surprise me to see either the B1G or ACC to send some $$$ to the BE to grab a week at MSG before their contract expires in 2026.