The beat goes on | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The beat goes on

They have more unaffiliated, front-running fans than maybe any sports program - college or pro. I know several people that are Duke fans who have no connection to Duke, geographically or educationally. They only follow Duke MBB and they all seem to like to trash talk me when Duke beats SU (What?).

I don't get it. I don't think anyone has the right to gloat if they chose their team(s) based on who was the most successful team when you started following sports. It's lame and reflects poorly on their self-esteem.
I feel the same about Yankees fans.

I have one friend who's grandad got a cup of coffee with the Yankees, every one else who follows them is a frontrunning a-hole. :)

They shoulda hired outside the program
You're not so subtly hinting that we're operating at Duke's level?

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

You honestly think Barnes recruits on the level that Duke does, year in and year out?

There are only two schools that consistently recruit at this level. Duke and Kentucky. Kansas is a very distant third.
Nope, I said there was coaches (such as Barnes) that get top recruits and repeatedly don't do anything with them. I throw out some others USC this year, Alabama the last couple year had all those big names (no final 4), Arkansas another.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas def get more chances for sure. But they usually get the bang for their buck and I dont think it takes anything away from their coaches necessarily.

Would be so nice to have a walk on like Rony again.
And a friend like Dave Bing who got DC here. Football staff that got a high school all American football player Michael Owens and his brother Billy came here.
JB had a lot of good things happen early in his career.

Nope, I said there was coaches (such as Barnes) that get top recruits and repeatedly don't do anything with them. I throw out some others USC this year, Alabama the last couple year had all those big names (no final 4), Arkansas another.

Duke, Kentucky, Kansas def get more chances for sure. But they usually get the bang for their buck and I dont think it takes anything away from their coaches necessarily.
They're good coaches with elite resources. Barnes is a good coach with meh resources. And one of those places was Texas. That shows how elite the support at UK and Duke are. Getting 4-5 top-10 guys every year is not even in the same ballpark as someone getting a couple of top-20 guys every other year. And this is pre-NIL too. The only thing keeping them from winning everything every year is the kids are going to the NBA at the end of the season and they have to start over with another all-star team.

They're good coaches with elite resources. Barnes is a good coach with meh resources. And one of those places was Texas. That shows how elite the support at UK and Duke are. Getting 4-5 top-10 guys every year is not even in the same ballpark as someone getting a couple of top-20 guys every other year. And this is pre-NIL too. The only thing keeping them from winning everything every year is the kids are going to the NBA at the end of the season and they have to start over with another all-star team.
Yeah, I agree, thats not what the posts are suggesting above.

"If you gave me five of the top20 eighteen year olds every year to coach, it's highly likely I would have a similar record"

I don't believe that to suggest they are good coaches.

Yeah, I agree, thats not what the posts are suggesting above.

"If you gave me five of the top20 eighteen year olds every year to coach, it's highly likely I would have a similar record"

I don't believe that to suggest they are good coaches.
You're quoting me, but taking the wrong intent.

I was referring to the record of dollar amounts of NBA contracts from kids that happened to go to Duke or Kentucky... It is often used to support those top recruits going to those schools, which is a complete fallacy.

The fact those players went to that school had nothing to do with their income in the future. Williamson (to use the same example as upthread) was getting drafted number 1 whether he went to Duke or Syracuse or North Dakota State. And he was going to be a max contract player a few years later as well. Duke shouldn't get a hint of credit for him being born a spectacular basketball player.

I have no illusions that I would have the same win loss record, even with elite talent. I haven't coached at any professional level. But if you give me classes with 5 top20 recruits every year, I'll definitely get you to .500.

I'd have highly paid assistants to run practice for me. ;)

Kentucky last won a natty in 2012, Duke in 2015. Since then: Villanova, North Carolina, Villanova, Virginia, Baylor, Kansas and Connecticut.

Meh, Tony Dorsett was my fav player growing up, first at Pitt and then with Cowboys.
Since the Giants weren't that good back then, it was easy to root for the enemy because of the one guy.
The fact that they also were good was IMO, a byproduct of having my favorite player on their team. I would've still rooted for the Cowboys even if they were losing.
There are lots of fans like you who began rooting for a team for their own personal, quirky reasons.

There are many more who are bandwagon fans.

Yeah not sure how we, or anyone else in conference, is suppose to compete with this……
Evans may be the most offensively talented of that group. Dropped 50 in the state playoffs last night versus: arguably the best defensive team in the country including Sadiq White who has a Cuse offer (he had 10 pts), a ND recruit and a TN recruit

Absolutely. Unless you went there, or grew up in South Bend, you have no business being an ND fan.
Who is anyone to say whose business it is to be a fan of a team?
Lots of folks are ND fans because they are Catholic.
Cowboys gained a lot of fans with Thanksgiving games, which always seem to be very exciting. I can remember my uncles teasing me when Clint Longley had to play, until the legend of the “mad bomber” played out on national tv.
That stuff is easy to root for. The Giants at that time were boring and bad.

There are lots of fans like you who began rooting for a team for their own personal, quirky reasons.

Many people root for or against teams based simply upon their fathers’ fandom. What’s quirkier than that?

Many people root for or against teams based simply upon their fathers’ fandom. What’s quirkier than that?
What's quirky about that? The team is on tv in your home as you are growing up. Most times, it is the local team.

Fair enough.
But I typically find "bandwagon fans" to be those who don't follow the sport regularly- like a friend who only watches the Super Bowl or playoff games. Maybe that's a stereotype, but those are the ones most likely to cling to whoever is winning, ie; Jordan and the Bulls, rather than having any emotional attachment.
ND, the Cowboys, Yankees, they get the exposure that allows a casual fan to latch on to them. Nothing wrong with that.

Who is anyone to say whose business it is to be a fan of a team?
Lots of folks are ND fans because they are Catholic.
Cowboys gained a lot of fans with Thanksgiving games, which always seem to be very exciting. I can remember my uncles teasing me when Clint Longley had to play, until the legend of the “mad bomber” played out on national tv.
That stuff is easy to root for. The Giants at that time were boring and bad.
I was doing a little lame trolling. It's not usually my thing so I'm not so good at it.

I tend to root for teams with former SU stars and against teams when I don't like the coach.

Kentucky last won a natty in 2012, Duke in 2015. Since then: Villanova, North Carolina, Villanova, Virginia, Baylor, Kansas and Connecticut.
That’s the gamble and it’s the right one if someone thinks that the tourney is a giant crapshoot and the only thing that matters is being in it as a top 4 seed. Cal & Scheyer get a really good All-Star recruit team of probable NBA kids but they have to re-tool every season because those kids then go to the NBA OR move on because the next batch of all stars are coming in. Hence my last sentence in the post you quoted. Imagine an NBA team getting 4-5 of the top 10-15 picks every season.