The beat goes on | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The beat goes on

Couple of takeaways, SU needs to search high and low for a big man, portal, juco, Canada, Europe, Africa, Algiers wherever to find the next neon boudreaux.
2nd, this is how you stack talent on top of talent. We had posters 2 years ago saying, "no, we can't take any transfers, it might hurt the feelings of JBs best recruiting class. Do you think Duke cares that they are recruiting over a couple of their young reserves? Nope. For those scared to bring in guys for competition, why? We have plenty of room to improve.

Couple of takeaways, SU needs to search high and low for a big man, portal, juco, Canada, Europe, Africa, Algiers wherever to find the next neon boudreaux.
2nd, this is how you stack talent on top of talent. We had posters 2 years ago saying, "no, we can't take any transfers, it might hurt the feelings of JBs best recruiting class. Do you think Duke cares that they are recruiting over a couple of their young reserves? Nope. For those scared to bring in guys for competition, why? We have plenty of room to improve.

The scholarship limit is 13.

Yeah, Tuesday pretty much laid bare our need for a P5 caliber center.

McLeod isn't it... he's a 7 to10 min a game center sub for your # 1.

No more beanpole projects either.

Coaching matters dude
So you're saying Zion Williamson got "coached up" by Duke to being a max salary player in the NBA?

Cam Reddish would have been working at New York Life selling insurance instead of playing in the NBA if he hadn't chosen to play for Duke?

Your comment was an incredibly stupid thing to say.

I agree coaching matters, which is why Duke lost 6 games in Williamson's year there. Duke had a rotation featuring 6 future NBA players, including the number one overall draft pick and another player drafted 10th.

Coaching cost them wins.

So you're saying Zion Williamson got "coached up" by Duke to being a max salary player in the NBA?

Cam Reddish would have been working at New York Life selling insurance instead of playing in the NBA if he hadn't chosen to play for Duke?

I agree coaching matters, which is why Duke lost 6 games in Williamson's year there. Duke had a rotation featuring 6 future NBA players, including the number one overall draft pick and another player drafted 10th.

Coaching cost them wins.

Coaching cost them wins.
Yeah individual talent is one thing. Having them play together through a whole season is another. That Duke team lost by 1 pt in the elite 8 and was a 1 seed.
You probably cant draw up on freaking play or know how to break a press. But you are out here thinking you could do better than coach K.

Yeah individual talent is one thing. Having them play together through a whole season is another. That Duke team lost by 1 pt in the elite 8 and was a 1 seed.
You probably cant draw up on freaking play or know how to break a press. But you are out here thinking you could do better than coach K.
So, Coach K is the reason Williamson is a max contract player in the NBA?

Every time Duke recruits a one and done lottery pick, they deserve all the credit for their future earnings?

I disagree. Coach K throwing money at a kid who would be a lottery pick out of high school if not for the one and done rule win hima lot of games. He was clearly a good coach, but how can you be sure when his players were almost always better than the other coach's players?

In fact, I think a guy like Buddy Boeheim making even a minute on an NBA floor is more impressive than Coach K recruiting lottery picks and sending them to the lottery a year later.

People have the same arguments for Kentucky, and it's the same chicken or the egg fallacy.

If I was a coach who hired recruited five McDonald's All American players every year, I would have three to five guys going in the first round in the NBA draft every year. Just like Coach K did.

And you're right, I
cant draw up on freaking play or know how to break a press

Yeah not sure how we, or anyone else in conference, is suppose to compete with this……

Attachments

• IMG_2811.jpeg
    IMG_2811.jpeg
    226.8 KB · Views: 36
Honestly, I'd be more concerned if it was Coach K still on the bench. Scheyer is a great recruiter obviously, but haven't been overly impressed with his coaching. JMHO
He is 51-15 in two years as head coach. Including an ACC tournament championship in his first year and worst case scenario a 2 seed going into ACC tourney this year.

He is 51-15 in two years as head coach. Including an ACC tournament championship in his first year and worst case scenario a 2 seed going into ACC tourney this year.
The fact of the matter is that recruiting for your college team is college coaching. You can be a terrible in game coach, but if you can recruit a team of five stars every recruiting cycle, you will have big win numbers, possibly including conference titles and eben NCAA titles.

Coaching is easier when you have the best 5 players on the court, and 6 of the best 8.

We saw how just having Carmelo Anthony elevated just another Syracuse team to a champion. Anthony was a generational talent, but every year Duke gets three guys one step down from Carmelo.

Duke will win a lot no matter who is coaching, so long as their recruiting machine (which includes ESPN, a propaganda arm even Putin would admire) continues to get the best players in every single class.

Yeah not sure how we, or anyone else in conference, is suppose to compete with this……
Good luck to anyone (including us) trying to get at the rim vs Cooper Flagg and Maluach

yeah it's not surprising that dook continues to stockpile ridic talent but really makes you wonder about the sources of their seemingly limitle$$ NIL bank
They have more unaffiliated, front-running fans than maybe any sports program - college or pro. I know several people that are Duke fans who have no connection to Duke, geographically or educationally. They only follow Duke MBB and they all seem to like to trash talk me when Duke beats SU (What?).

I don't get it. I don't think anyone has the right to gloat if they chose their team(s) based on who was the most successful team when you started following sports. It's lame and reflects poorly on their self-esteem.

I'm sure he is a capable coach and recruiter, but he stepped into a bonafide machine with ridiculous resources and tremendous corporate support. It's silly to think that getting an All-Star team of the very best global recruits every year doesn't help that 51-15 record. For example, see all of the other former Dukies coaching basketball programs ...

I'm sure he is a capable coach and recruiter, but he stepped into a bonafide machine with ridiculous resources and tremendous corporate support. It's silly to think that getting an All-Star team of the very best global recruits every year doesn't help that 51-15 record. For example, see all of the other former Dukies coaching basketball programs ...
Nike pays their players. Remember when Zion was going to Clemson?

It’s not that impressive for the talent he has. Cal went 29-9, 38-1, 37-2, 32-6 and 35-3 recruiting the same way.

It's the Coach Cal Syndrome.
Great record, conference titles, all well and good. But it's Duke, and much like UK, his success will be measured by national championships.
Granted he's just starting out, but that squad he put together for next season is a monster. Let's see how that turns out. JMHO

And yet their arena could fit in ours.

They have more unaffiliated, front-running fans than maybe any sports program - college or pro. I know several people that are Duke fans who have no connection to Duke, geographically or educationally. They only follow Duke MBB and they all seem to like to trash talk me when Duke beats SU (What?).

I don't get it. I don't think anyone has the right to gloat if they chose their team(s) based on who was the most successful team when you started following sports. It's lame and reflects poorly on their self-esteem.
Nonsense. Lots of reasons to choose teams. Style of play, frequency of being able to see them. SU has/had lots of west coast fans back in the 80s. Most had never been to Syracuse.
I became a GSW fan because I loved the way they play (still a Knicks fan at the core, but they have been a bad product for decades.)
Why are people in Syracuse Jets or Giants fan? They are New Jersey teams.

Last edited:

Meh, Tony Dorsett was my fav player growing up, first at Pitt and then with Cowboys.
Since the Giants weren't that good back then, it was easy to root for the enemy because of the one guy.
The fact that they also were good was IMO, a byproduct of having my favorite player on their team. I would've still rooted for the Cowboys even if they were losing.

So is Phil Jackson a bad coach because he had Jordan/Pippen and Shaq/Kobe?

Not sure I understand the logic. We've seen guys like Rick Barnes get top recruits and repeatedly eat it. If Duke wins with theirs, that seems to be a positive to me, no?

Sobering thoughts at the end of a frustrating mediocre season. One of the hardest things to accept is how far we've fallen since our glory days in the big east. When we went to the ACC I thought our program would continue to achieve at a high level but in reality we have become a middle of the pack team--never thought that would happen in my lifetime but it has. We are a good (not great) program historically but currently we are an afterthought in the college basketball world. We can discuss all day how we ended up where we currently are (JB stayed too long, Hop left, etc) but that is wasted energy. Can we improve? Sure, but there are no guarantees. It happened once, can it happen again given the current college sports landscape??? Stay tuned...