The best thing about UK and Duke | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The best thing about UK and Duke

really liked Cal's comment at start of half...Duke flops alot...there were 5 flots in the first half...

UK could be a top notch team if Harrow comes back. Right now they are a team without a point guard. Wonder if we're top 6 in next weeks poll.

I thought both teams looked very good for an early season game. Duke, with 3 Seniors and Coach K running the show will be a formidable team this year. Plumlee was sensational as was Curry. I know that it's pretty much standard cuisine to say negative things about Kentucky but they have a tremendous assemblage of talent albeit young and inexperienced. They showed flashes of brilliance and athleticism that was frankly, stunning to see with a group of kids who have only been playing together for about a month.
I've seen some comments on the board which have been to the effect that having seen Noel it's not such a big deal that we didn't land him. He made some mistakes but the talent he possesses both offensively and defensively is undeniable. The kid is ready to play big minutes on the big stage right out of the box. Anyone who says that they wouldn't like to have him on their team is being disingenuous at best.
Is Kentucky as good as they were last year? No is the answer to that but they are going to be a pretty tough out by the time the end of the season rolls around. There is nothing dishonorable about respecting and extolling the virtues of one's adversaries.

I thought both teams looked very good for an early season game. Duke, with 3 Seniors and Coach K running the show will be a formidable team this year. Plumlee was sensational as was Curry. I know that it's pretty much standard cuisine to say negative things about Kentucky but they have a tremendous assemblage of talent albeit young and inexperienced. They showed flashes of brilliance and athleticism that was frankly, stunning to see with a group of kids who have only been playing together for about a month.
I've seen some comments on the board which have been to the effect that having seen Noel it's not such a big deal that we didn't land him. He made some mistakes but the talent he possesses both offensively and defensively is undeniable. The kid is ready to play big minutes on the big stage right out of the box. Anyone who says that they wouldn't like to have him on their team is being disingenuous at best.
Is Kentucky as good as they were last year? No is the answer to that but they are going to be a pretty tough out by the time the end of the season rolls around. There is nothing dishonorable about respecting and extolling the virtues of one's adversaries.
UK will struggle this year, 7-8 losses pre tourneys.

The stat that got me was a good ways along in the game the 3 freshman from UK had better shooting numbers than the 3 seniors on coach K's team. That says something to me especially in only their 2nd game together. As others have said they aren't as good as last year, but with some more experience could make a good run come tournament time. Glad to see them get an early loss, but they showed they were already quite capable of winning this game and that worries me as far as what they are packing for potential.

Kentucky's class next year is great and could be even greater depending on who else jumps on board, but that's not the only component for a championship. Even for the team that won last year with the best recruiting class ever, would not have won without guys like Terrance Jones, Doron Lamb and Darius Miller. Maybe the question on success next year is found in who is staying from this year's team, if any?

Couldn't agree more. Last night was the first I had seen Noel in real game action and I was impressed. He wasn't an offensive juggernaut, but contrary to popular belief he did have offensive moves including a nice drive to the basket and flip with the left hand and if he can do it once or twice, he will become more adept at it as the season rolls along. I also saw him beat Plumlee to a rebound that I thought was amazing. They were in the lane and Plumlee tried to tap the ball out to keep it away from KY, only there was noone where he tapped. Noel hustled his a$$ off and tracked it down nearly to mid court. He also blocked or altered a boat load of shots and hit free throws.

Even for those who who make their judgments based only on the stat line, this was a darn good game for him 16 pts., 8 rbs., 2 ast, 4 stls and 3 blks. in his second game against a top 10 opponent with a matchup against a guy who some believe will be an All American. And did anyone notice that Plumlee had a real nice first half, but then was in foul trouble and couldn't do jack in the second half.

It would be ridiculous to compare this kid to Anthony Davis because he was a once in a decade kind of player...but after watching Noel last night and seeing the meteoric development of AD last year, I am not willing to say that Noel can't be the same kind of player for KY this year that AD was last year.

nope already have 3 of the top 9 in next years class with at least 2 or 3 to add

Well of course, their salary cap increased.

The key guy for UK is Wiltjer. Last night, the few times UK had a good half court set was when the ball went through Wiltjer. Goodwin is a heckuva a talent but doesn't really make plays for teammates. Poythress is just scratching the surface - he will definitely replace Jones' production. Noel tried to work the post last night - and did ok but he doesnt have that touch near the hoop like AD. I think UK is a sweet 16 team this year and then again a FF contender next year.

One big thing with Noel I see is that when he is beat, he is beat. AD blocked everything a many times while trailing. NN doesn't really hustle on the floor much.

The key guy for UK is Wiltjer. Last night, the few times UK had a good half court set was when the ball went through Wiltjer. Goodwin is a heckuva a talent but doesn't really make plays for teammates. Poythress is just scratching the surface - he will definitely replace Jones' production. Noel tried to work the post last night - and did ok but he doesnt have that touch near the hoop like AD. I think UK is a sweet 16 team this year and then again a FF contender next year.

As for the good sets, I expect that will change when they have their point guard available. Goodwin has been pressed into a slightly different role than they envisioned because of Ryan Harrow's illness the first two games. He only played sparingly against Maryland and not at all last night against Duke.

One big thing with Noel I see is that when he is beat, he is beat. AD blocked everything a many times while trailing. NN doesn't really hustle on the floor much.

That is not what I saw last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom