The big change in the passing game | Syracusefan.com

The big change in the passing game

upperdeck

Living Legend
The biggest thing I saw other than good use of check down by design to the flats was the QB actually throwing to guys before they came out of the break. A huge number of passes were thrown to guys who caught balls as they came open instead of after they were open.. The windows are small and balls that were late the last couple of years were thrown several beats earlier . Some of the easier catches were the ones that were dropped.

The deep balls hopefully will come, but we didnt throw many.. The one down the sideline was really close but it also was PI that went uncalled the DB too the kid from the has to OB with contact before the ball every got there.

One thing that was interesting was how often the motion or RB guy was open on 15-20 yr routes that we didnt throw to them.. Some of that because blocking broke down and SHrader did a good job of going someplace else. But there were guys open almost every time we threw the ball. We still struggle on getting a good release with press man but the use of motion really has freed up some guys.

The screen game the Oline was a little sloppy on the release of pressure and a couple of those were set up for big gains had we handled the one DE/LB who was actually in the area.

more throws in the 10-15 yd range is a good thing.. At some point UL needed to back up to cover that but they continued to press the Running game D and just left those plays open.. Just needed 1 of those runs to squeak thru and in the 2nd half 2-3 almost did.

The biggest thing I saw other than good use of check down by design to the flats was the QB actually throwing to guys before they came out of the break. A huge number of passes were thrown to guys who caught balls as they came open instead of after they were open.. The windows are small and balls that were late the last couple of years were thrown several beats earlier . Some of the easier catches were the ones that were dropped.

The deep balls hopefully will come, but we didnt throw many.. The one down the sideline was really close but it also was PI that went uncalled the DB too the kid from the has to OB with contact before the ball every got there.

One thing that was interesting was how often the motion or RB guy was open on 15-20 yr routes that we didnt throw to them.. Some of that because blocking broke down and SHrader did a good job of going someplace else. But there were guys open almost every time we threw the ball. We still struggle on getting a good release with press man but the use of motion really has freed up some guys.

The screen game the Oline was a little sloppy on the release of pressure and a couple of those were set up for big gains had we handled the one DE/LB who was actually in the area.

more throws in the 10-15 yd range is a good thing.. At some point UL needed to back up to cover that but they continued to press the Running game D and just left those plays open.. Just needed 1 of those runs to squeak thru and in the 2nd half 2-3 almost did.
The passing game was simple and effective. Simple reads. Thats what weve been lacking. A lot of stick concepts where the QB just has to read the apex defender

I also saw some schematic things they did based on Louisville’s secondary alignment.

The passing game was simple and effective. Simple reads. Thats what weve been lacking. A lot of stick concepts where the QB just has to read the apex defender

I also saw some schematic things they did based on Louisville’s secondary alignment.
Money, I don't have the coach's eye for this, but it looked to me like part of the early passing success was also due to playing up tempo right away. Didn't look to me like Louisville expected that and it caught them off guard a bit.

Money, I don't have the coach's eye for this, but it looked to me like part of the early passing success was also due to playing up tempo right away. Didn't look to me like Louisville expected that and it caught them off guard a bit.
No, you are right on.

Wideouts are beginning to step up. Coopers good after the catch and Oronde can make the difficult grabs

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom