The Big East/ CUSA/ MWC alliance | Syracusefan.com

The Big East/ CUSA/ MWC alliance

raf4488

Starter
might still be on. According to this article from a Las Vegas newspaper, CUSA and the MWC will meet with Marinatto in NY tomorrow to pitch the idea.

It actually would be a VERY smart move by Marinatto.

The ball game is over with WVU leaving. if these 5 teams want to preserve a path to the BCS, they need to eat some humble pie and bite the bullet on this.

The hoops schools should be fine with this... keeps Yukon, UL & Cincy around (for now) without having to necessarily add "undesirable" schools for all sports. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see USF rejoin C-USA.

I could see something like this:

Big East Division

1. UConn
2. Rutgers
3. Temple
4. Louisville
5. Cincinnati
6. Navy
7. USF
8. UCF

CUSA Division

1. East Carolina
2. Memphis
3. Southern Miss
4. Marshall
5. UAB
6. Tulane
7. Toledo
8. Louisiana Tech

MWC Division

1. Boise State
2. Air Force
3. UNLV
4. Fresno State
5. Nevada
6. Hawaii
7. San Diego State
8. San Jose State

Texas Division

1. Houston
2. Tulsa
3. UTEP
4. Rice
5. SMU
6. Wyoming
7. Colorado State
8. New Mexico

Four-team playoff to determine the champion. Could that pick up a BCS bid?

If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see USF rejoin C-USA.

Poor Skip Holtz. Wonder how much he regrets not taking the SU gig...

I could see something like this:

Big East Division

1. UConn
2. Rutgers
3. Temple
4. Louisville
5. Cincinnati
6. Navy
7. USF
8. UCF

CUSA Division

1. East Carolina
2. Memphis
3. Southern Miss
4. Marshall
5. UAB
6. Tulane
7. Toledo
8. Louisiana Tech

MWC Division

1. Boise State
2. Air Force
3. UNLV
4. Fresno State
5. Nevada
6. Hawaii
7. San Diego State
8. San Jose State

Texas Division

1. Houston
2. Tulsa
3. UTEP
4. Rice
5. SMU
6. Wyoming
7. Colorado State
8. New Mexico

Four-team playoff to determine the champion. Could that pick up a BCS bid?

I can't see them adding anyone when they'd already have 28. Four divisions of seven.

might still be on. According to this article from a Las Vegas newspaper, CUSA and the MWC will meet with Marinatto in NY tomorrow to pitch the idea.

I still fail to see how that would work since it would break NCAA rules. You cannot have 4 divisions and then a 4 team playoff.

I guess that you can have 4 divisions and then the two best teams of the 4 divisions meet in the CCG. But that would suck for the two divisions winners who get left out.

Anyway I still fail to see why CUSA would be involved at all. Why doesn't the MWC and BE simply have their own alliance? The 10 team MWC and the 10 team BE? MWC stays as is and the BE adds UCF, SMU, HOU, Memphis, and ECU. That gets the BE to 10/18. Why take on the dregs of CUSA?

not saying it's a good idea but they could use a bcs like system to send a bcs rep

I can't see them adding anyone when they'd already have 28. Four divisions of seven.

That might make more sense. That would mean - six division conference game, then play one team each from each division to make 9. Then 3 additional OOC games.

That would make it pretty unbalanced, though. Would probably have to only include the intra-divisional games to determine the divisional champion.

Anyway I still fail to see why CUSA would be involved at all. Why doesn't the MWC and BE simply have their own alliance? The 10 team MWC and the 10 team BE? MWC stays as is and the BE adds UCF, SMU, HOU, Memphis, and ECU. That gets the BE to 10/18. Why take on the dregs of CUSA?

Because CUSA and MWC have already merged.

That might make more sense. That would mean - six division conference game, then play one team each from each division to make 9. Then 3 additional OOC games.

That would make it pretty unbalanced, though. Would probably have to only include the intra-divisional games to determine the divisional champion.

What a mess though. You're going to need a conference semifinal and final - and all for one BCS berth. Boise State, the Big East champion, and TCU formerly of the MWC received three last year.

The hoops schools should be fine with this... keeps Yukon, UL & Cincy around (for now) without having to necessarily add "undesirable" schools for all sports. If this happens, I wouldn't be surprised to see USF rejoin C-USA.

Couldn't CUSA just raid the BE at this point? If the MWC took Utah St and UTEP they could get to 12. Then CUSA can take Cincy, Louisville, and USF. UConn and RU for FB only in the alliance is a waste. I think they could get USF and Cincy for all sports as this point. Louisville might be difficult because of their love of BBall.

IMO the strongest conf of the three is the MWC. They should decide to either work with the BE to kill off CUSA, or vice versa. No need to water down the product by keeping both CUSA and the BE alive.

Couldn't CUSA just raid the BE at this point? If the MWC took Utah St and UTEP they could get to 12. Then CUSA can take Cincy, Louisville, and USF. UConn and RU for FB only in the alliance is a waste. I think they could get USF and Cincy for all sports as this point. Louisville might be difficult because of their love of BBall.

IMO the strongest conf of the three is the MWC. They should decide to either work with the BE to kill off CUSA, or vice versa. No need to water down the product by keeping both CUSA and the BE alive.

Are you sure ConferenceUSA would even be interested in Rutgers?

Couldn't CUSA just raid the BE at this point? ... UConn and RU for FB only in the alliance is a waste.
And leave Yukon and Rutgers to deliver NYC to the MAC? Are you serious? :D

it would still easier to win that 28-team league than any of the other conferences

What a mess though. You're going to need a conference semifinal and final - and all for one BCS berth. Boise State, the Big East champion, and TCU formerly of the MWC received three last year.
Exactly. And this is why this alliance scenario actually BENEFITS the BCS. You have more slots open to power conferences for at large bids and you eliminate the have vs. have not argument all in one swoop.

Exactly. And this is why this alliance scenario actually BENEFITS the BCS. You have more slots open to power conferences for at large bids and you eliminate the have vs. have not argument all in one swoop.
Bingo

ummmm...and with this alliance...no reason to hold 'Cuse, Pitt, and WVU for 27 months...could be out at end of '12 or sooner

ummmm...and with this alliance...no reason to hold 'Cuse, Pitt, and WVU for 27 months...could be out at end of '12 or sooner

Exactly. We should be rooting for this to happen. WVU might have allowed us to leave early with their move.

I don't know, I believe and actually hope UCONN gets to the ACC soon. We probably lose the Georgetown rivalry (my personal favorite), and I truly hope we can schedule them every year as a non-conference game, but seeing UCONN on the conference slate every year will be good. Renewing our old but short lived foorball rivalry with Miami may be fun. And just think, UCONN and Miami can hold a tournament every year jus tfor the atheletes who get arrested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom