The Big Ten adding Rutgers and Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies | Syracusefan.com

The Big Ten adding Rutgers and Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies

Alsacs

Living Legend
The Big Ten adding Rutgers and Maryland could be a major problem when cable dies

Interesting article. Atleast Maryland brought a top 25 basketball program.
Rutgers is going to be a drag on the Big Ten. As with the ACC being in bed with ESPN they will have more help once the linear ACC channel is started in 2019.

Big Ten Network can't afford cord cutters as much as it won't have the Disney muscle behind it.

That could easily be written about us and Pitt.
The ACC has a long term contract with ESPN thru 2037.

The Big Ten took a short term deal thru 2022 because they wanted to get back on the market. That is a problem if cable boxes are going down.

Also the BTN isn't aligned with ESPN.

Also Syracuse brought a top notch basketball program. So atleast the ACC gets ratings when Su-Duke, Louisville, North Carolina play.

When the ACC network happens the SU basketball brand will get the deal on NY and all those cable boxes.

That could easily be written about us and Pitt.

Cuse and Pitt at least have a solid history in both football and basketball. People also watch our games on tv instead of just being located in an area with lots of cable subscribers.

On a side note I saw 2 people wearing Rutgers gear at my gym in Raleigh last week. I can't say I've ever seen 2 people wearing gear at the same time before, and I've been to Rutgers games.

Cuse and Pitt at least have a solid history in both football and basketball. People also watch our games on tv instead of just being located in an area with lots of cable subscribers.

On a side note I saw 2 people wearing Rutgers gear at my gym in Raleigh last week. I can't say I've ever seen 2 people wearing gear at the same time before, and I've been to Rutgers games.
Did it actually say "Rutgers"? Raleigh begins with "R" too.

The article has a good point (we all knew the B1G adds were weak, especially #14). However, the cable cord cutting counter-revolution isn't going to happen overnight. Too many people are happy with 200 channels of whatever (even if they watch only 10 or so channels). Cable will die a long slow death, like over the air broadcasts (which are still available everywhere for free).

I agree that the streaming options are the wave of the future, but ESPN and FOX will get a slice of that pie, too, it will not be controlled by Amazon and Apple. The BTN being tied to Fox will probably help stem some losses. Still, the loss of people who pay $1/mo and never watch the BTN will hurt in the long run.

The real kick in the pants to the B1G/BTN is that they are stuck with Rutgers' Athletic Department. So long as Rutgers does nothing, they will never garner respect of NYC viewers. Rutgers would essentially have to be a top perennial competitor for decades in at least football and basketball to build a real fan base in NYC, even in NJ. "The B1G, we are so proud of who we are we neglected NYC for 100 years and when we finally decided NYC was important, we took Rutgers because they have a football team nearby. Impressive!" Not many people in NYC (or anywhere else) will be impressed.

Did it actually say "Rutgers"? Raleigh begins with "R" too.

That is true. They both were wearing red shirts with Silver Rs. Maybe a local high school stole their logo and colors. If that is the case I feel sorry for the students

Cable's slow death may be coming but Spectrum apparently isn't aware or concerned as they hiked their prices post TW purchase.

cable may die, but people are still watching sports.. it wont be long until the costs get recooped in different ways.. all the illegal viewing via other means can be slowed for most people pretty easily and if they want to go thru legislation that could have the ISPs shut it down completely.

cable may die, but people are still watching sports.. it wont be long until the costs get recooped in different ways.. all the illegal viewing via other means can be slowed for most people pretty easily and if they want to go thru legislation that could have the ISPs shut it down completely.

Yeah they've had great success doing this in the past...

Cable's slow death may be coming but Spectrum apparently isn't aware or concerned as they hiked their prices post TW purchase.

Yeah not offering the promotional packages that TW offered really sucks. I used to call TW up every 12 months when my deal was about to expire and sign up again.

they have shut stuff down because the model isnt as broken as people think