The blocking foul in the final :07 of regulation.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The blocking foul in the final :07 of regulation..

There was contact tonight on every possession that could have been called a foul. With the game on the line, the foul has to be obvious or blatant and not questionable.

All I ask is consistency for 40 minutes. It was a bad call as it was inconsistent. But your ideology for end of game protocol, is blatantly inconsistent.

Sorry, that was a legit call.

It's just that the refs in the NCAA never call it.

But that was a foul as clear as day. It's just the refs decided to actually enforce some of the rules in that instance.

Yep. And this is what I hate about hoops reffing. We have a board full of folks claiming their interpretion of the rules are more relevant than the written version.

In what was a landslide of bad decisions, Fair did not have to bump that guy.

Survive and advance. We'll really need some O in the big dance, let's hope we can find it.

I thought it was a foul. Cant ride the guy like that.

it was a foul but there were numerous other plays of similar nature throughout the 45 minutes that were not called. that is the problem with college basketball officiating in general. most do not know when to call and when to swallow the whistle. also most are to old to keep up with the game. if it happens with 6:42 lest in the first half it is still a foul. need to call it then if you call it at the end.

All I ask is consistency for 40 minutes. It was a bad call as it was inconsistent. But your ideology for end of game protocol, is blatantly inconsistent.
I see your point. But if you're going to call a foul with 7 secs left with the game on the line, it needs to be an obvious foul and not a questionable/borderline call.

Yep. And this is what I hate about hoops reffing. We have a board full of folks claiming their interpretion of the rules are more relevant than the written version.

In what was a landslide of bad decisions, Fair did not have to bump that guy.

Survive and advance. We'll really need some O in the big dance, let's hope we can find it.

If refs called the written version of the rules there would be 8 minutes left on the 2nd half as I type this at 10:35.

Sucked that they picked that time to enforce but we got a good OT makeup call on Starks 5th, so we're even I guess.

All most fans, players and coaches ask for is consistency. If that is foul, which it is, then they need to call it all the time. You can't let anything and everything go the entire game and then at the end decide to go exactly by the rule book.

That's my major gripe - either call them every time, or don't call them at all.
Don't make that call only 1 out of 10 times, especially when the game is on the line like that.

Its not a legit call when players were sumo wrestling all day.

I like the non-call when CJ grabbed the one rebound and they shoved him out of bounds. He was falling out anyway, but the shove pretty much ensured he couldn't save the ball. The calls were a bit mystifying at times. Glad Bilas, McDonough, etc..pointed them all out - even the one w/ MCW that went in our favor.

always believed that at the end of any game you stand back and let the players decide it.

But that was a foul as clear as day. It's just the refs decided to actually enforce some of the rules in that instance.
Bilas was exactly right when he focused on the "inconsistency" of the reffing - a polite way to say it sucked.

Oh, I agree with your sentiment. Choosing to be Super Ref at that moment is unfair, but that was a foul.

Just part of the issue with the crappy NCAA reffing.
No...that was CLEARLY not a foul. It looked as though Fair was going to block, but he avoided contact (other than a light brush). Then the ballhandler initiated contact. Not only did the circumstance make it a bad call, it was just a bad call.

Humans don't often see what really happened. They regularly see what they want to see. Refs are human.

I like the non-call when CJ grabbed the one rebound and they shoved him out of bounds. He was falling out anyway, but the shove pretty much ensured he couldn't save the ball. The calls were a bit mystifying at times. Glad Bilas, McDonough, etc..pointed them all out - even the one w/ MCW that went in our favor.

Yeah, that one was very odd. Ref was right on top of it. Not sure why that wasn't whistled.

BTW, was that Burr who called that foul?

I ref in a kids league, and I'm the supervisor of officials. The first thing I remind the refs every year, and throughout the year, is to NEVER EVER call a foul in the last minutes of a tight game that you haven't called all game. It's much easier and much more legit to set the tone early so the players understand what to expect. Otherwise, you are making the game about you and not the players.

If the NCAA needs a great ref who puts the game first and me last, please respond to this message. I'm your guy. Thank you very much.

Never been a fan of refs swallowing their whistles at the end but that's just not a foul at any point in the game imo. MCW was bumped worse than that a half dozen times with no calls (hilarious that the one they finally called on Starks' 5th was nothing). Also if what Keita did was traveling then there is a travel on every lay-up ever attempted.
Overall a pretty standard college game ref-wise with terrible calls both ways, which I'm pretty much immune to at this point. They don't always even out but this game I thought they pretty much did.

Here's a recent example from another sport:
Last play of the Superbowl for SF. Kapernick throws a fade route in the back of the endzone. There is unquestionably contact, which by strict definition of the rules, is pass interference. But the foul call was borderline, they've been letting minor contact go the entire game, and the pass was thrown out of bounds, so the contact had no effect on the game outcome. So he correctly swallows his whistle.
IMO the ref should not make themselves part of the game story unless it's unavoidable.

Call the game consistently and you will have no complaints.

They were allowing a TON of contact throughout the game, and then they decide it's a good idea to call a touch foul with us up 2 with time running down.

I don't care if it's a foul. In the context of the game, it wasn't.

Yeah, that one was very odd. Ref was right on top of it. Not sure why that wasn't whistled.

How about the fact that MCW was literally shoved with both hands out of bounds two times and the ref three feet away didn't make the call. The ref at the top had to make a late call on it.

Was the most call of all-time. I feel comfortable in saying this since we won. But holy , talk about bailing out a player who dribbled into a train wreck.

Consistency has always been a gripe of mine in BE games. It always amazes me how officials can call two different games. This is particularly true when we play Pitt and G'town. The refs seem to let them clutch grab, impede, and set moving screens for the entire game. The justification is "that is the way they play." Then, since we "don't play that way" we get called for touch fouls. It is infuriating.

All game I heard about the tough G'town defense. If they called all of the touch fouls the Hoya bench would have been depleted with 10 minutes to go in the second half. I thought the Fair call was a legit foul on CJ but they had not called that foul for the entire game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom