The bottom line | Syracusefan.com

The bottom line

cuseguy

Living Legend
Many avoid posting here after a loss. But this wasn't just a loss. This was a loss that tells me we've reached a crossroads with the program. You can throw out the "we've made two Final 4s in the last four years," but there's an issue with the program that suggests something of greater concern.

I'll leave it at that.

Many avoid posting here after a loss. But this wasn't just a loss. This was a loss that tells me we've reached a crossroads with the program. You can throw out the "we've made two Final 4s in the last four years," but there's an issue with the program that suggests something of greater concern.

I'll leave it at that.
The offense has been broken for a LONG time. Now that we have a lot of decent players but no NBA level player who can create his own shot and now that the zone isnt as dominant as usual, the flaws of JB's offensive strategy (or lack thereof) are exposed for all to see. Our guards have no idea how to feed the post, we are terrible at breaking down a zone D, this year we can't even run a simple pick and roll game, we have zero back door action... these issue have been systemic for years but the zone and the ineptitude of college hoops masked them. Basically JB has become a one trick pony and it's caught up to us. This is in addition to the extremely flawed recruiting strategy we took this year. It looks like JB is leaving the cupboard bare when he leaves.

The offense has been broken for a LONG time. Now that we have a lot of decent players but no NBA level player who can create his own shot and now that the zone isnt as dominant as usual, the flaws of JB's offensive strategy (or lack thereof) are exposed for all to see. Our guards have no idea how to feed the post, we are terrible at breaking down a zone D, this year we can't even run a simple pick and roll game, we have zero back door action... these issue have been systemic for years but the zone and the ineptitude of college hoops masked them. Basically JB has become a one trick pony and it's caught up to us. This is in addition to the extremely flawed recruiting strategy we took this year. It looks like JB is leaving the cupboard bare when he leaves.

I'm a proud JB apologist but ... well ... it's not a great place to be these days.

No more argument for implementing 'new pieces' or whatever. We just are incapable of running any sort of cohesive offense. It should not look discombobulated like this constantly. Teams integrating more youth are doing just fine. It's assembling of the 'talent' or coaching or both. We were saved from extra scrutiny with the F4 berth last season but the offense has been atrocious the past few years and that is putting in kindly.

I'm a proud JB apologist but ... well ... it's not a great place to be these days.

I am too. But these games, even when we win, are boring. I wouldn't have felt that much better if we gutted a win last because that UConn team just so, so bad. That was a terrible basketball game.

Not an elite program anymore. Should be a third consecutive season not making tourney. Got lucky to make it last year. Worst recruiting class in probably my lifetime coming in. Ton of potential loss. I mean your 2 best players on this bad team are 5th year seniors. cuse is an nc state or an ole miss or something now. just another yearly bubble team, not includng this year cus the bubble burst iin early December for the 2nd time in 3 years.

Honored to say my childhood and early yong adulthood coincided with tte golden era of cuse bball. Sad to say its just over. This is not a unc, ku or uk blue blood program that is just going to be ok cus they are who they are and eventually will bounce back. This is reality. The genious of JB was that he brought the program to levels of overachievement. We all forgot that cuse was not historyically a powerhouse or blue blood. The golden era has been over a few years. How long til it goes the way of football and we are all member berries Over the hoops program too?

Last edited:
Honored to say my childhood and early yong adulthood coincided with tte golden era of cuse bball. Sad to say its just over. This is not a unc, ku or uk blue blood program that is just going to be ok cus they are who they are and eventually will bounce back. This is reality. The genious and JB was that be brought the program to levels of overachievement. We all forgot that cuse was not historyically a powerhouse or blue blood. The golden era has been over a few years. How long til it goes the way of football and we are all member berries Over the hoops program too?
We'll never fall off like the football program and there's many reasons for that.

However, I'm not seeing a team that can get back to typically being Top 10-15. Not with this squad or the recruits we've been getting under JB and his philosophy.

Even schools like LSU eventually had to move off from a legend like Les Miles. It happens everywhere.

This is what that looks like.

This year is atrocious -- right now I can't even imagine how bad next year seems like it will be.
I get this sentiment from the perspective of the talent being far below what we expected, but really, how much worse could it be? This current team cant score vs any team of recognition. I'm horrified to play ACC teams. We might not score 40 vs Virginia, and thats not hyperbole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom