the buddy question from citrus tv | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the buddy question from citrus tv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Or the coach who knows more basketball than anyone could describe what Baylor did to shut down Buddy and why he continued to play him so many minutes while struggling.
I don't think they shut him down. He got some good looks he has been making but missed them. That happens. Jalen Carey has struggled all year and is not an improvement on offense or defense. What is the point of saying that?

I think some of you guys are thin skinned. JB just got done talking about how the inexperience at the guard spot really hurt us. It was a redundant and lazy question. The kid didn’t even properly slate like every reporter before him. It’s like he couldn’t wait to get his question in and didn’t bother listening to anything up to that point. A lot like some here.

He had already talked about inexperience, freshman issues related to defensive rotations etc. He had answered his thoughts on Buddy. It was a leading question made to get a reaction - he got it. No questions regarding Battle and the possible toll on his performance again being the point guard, Brissett’s 6 turnovers, Elijah’s drop off in the second half , if he thought Frank let the team down, Dolezaj’s difficulty corralling rebounds in his 21 minutes (1 rebound) etc ? I didn’t have a problem with his press conference. We shot 41.4% from 3, we didn’t dominate the inside like we should have (Buddy’s fault? ) but it was our defense that failed us and I thought JB was pretty clear about that too.

Do people really think that there was confusion about JB’s comments regarding freshman, inexperience that it needed clarification? People here only don’t like him criticizing player’s performance that doesn’t fit their agenda - otherwise blast away at who they themselves want to blame. :rolleyes:
VIDEO: Syracuse post-game press conference after Baylor loss

If it wasn't his son, his response would be:

"He played terribly, and has struggled much of the season, aside from a few good games. But, I don't have anybody else to play, so that's why he's played so much. I just don't have any better options."

If it wasn’t the coach’s son would anyone other than a 20 year old kid ask?

Or the coach who knows more basketball than anyone could describe what Baylor did to shut down Buddy and why he continued to play him so many minutes while struggling.

They could’ve asked him why he struggled, or what did Baylor do to stop Buddy, or something specific, if they actually wanted to get a basketball discussion going.

If it wasn't his son, his response would be:

"He played terribly, and has struggled much of the season, aside from a few good games. But, I don't have anybody else to play, so that's why he's played so much. I just don't have any better options."

False.

He would only possibly say a kid had played terribly all season if it was true. And even then, I don’t recall him ever saying that about anybody. He said about particular games.

And Buddy hasn’t played terribly all season aside from a few games.

Your post makes no sense.

I don't think they shut him down. He got some good looks he has been making but missed them. That happens. Jalen Carey has struggled all year and is not an improvement on offense or defense. What is the point of saying that?
He was completely shut down because he had a defender living inside his jock. The one or two times he had a millisecond of daylight he rushed his shot.

"I didn't criticize him," Boeheim said. "I said he wouldn't be playing. If he's going to get one point and four rebounds two games in a row he would not be playing. That's all. The comment was he shouldn't be playing. What should I say?"

"I don't think it's wrong," Boeheim added. "I think if somebody doesn't play well, then it's up to the coach to get him to play better, or to play somebody else.

Again, Roberson, not Buddy

Seemed like an innocent question. Buddy had a terrible game. 0-6 from field including 0-4 from 3. Scored 2 FT. But he played 39 minutes. Why?

If Oshae went 0-6, don't you think the CitrisTV kid would ask, "Thoughts on Oshae's performance"?

Hughes had a very good game. Brissett played well. Battle played well until the end. Rest of the team had bad games. I think JB got way too defensive with his response to the question, and being overprotective of his son made a scene of what could've been nothing. Going after the 20 year old reporter, and indirectly criticizing Syracuse reporters and media, is pretty surprising from a 70+ year old HOF coach with a national title, don't you think?

He didn't need to personally make the kid reporter feel like crap. Buddy had a terrible game and it's a perfectly fine question to ask.
You have to understand, the student athletes don't have to have refined skills but the student reporters do.

Seemed like an innocent question. Buddy had a terrible game. 0-6 from field including 0-4 from 3. Scored 2 FT. But he played 39 minutes. Why?

If Oshae went 0-6, don't you think the CitrisTV kid would ask, "Thoughts on Oshae's performance"?

Hughes had a very good game. Brissett played well. Battle played well until the end. Rest of the team had bad games. I think JB got way too defensive with his response to the question, and being overprotective of his son made a scene of what could've been nothing. Going after the 20 year old reporter, and indirectly criticizing Syracuse reporters and media, is pretty surprising from a 70+ year old HOF coach with a national title, don't you think?

Tend to agree. His reaction is what makes this a "story". The reporter was probably trying to poke the bear but on the surface his question asking about the true freshman reserve who had to step in and replace the starting senior point guard that was suspended for the NCAAT game is a legit storyline. Just answer the question as briefly as you want to and be a professional about it and move on.

Yeah, but you know what, part of the job is answering questions from reporters, be they good or
bad. He doesn't have to be a jerk about it. There are very few coaches in all the sports who
can pull off being jerks to the media due to their overwhelming success, those being guys
who've all won five or more titles in their sports. You want to be an azz like Belichick, go out
and win 6 (head) and 2 (assist) titles first. And honestly, if he's going to rip, oh, let's see, Paul
Harris for a 29/22 game, he can put up with someone asking questions about his son
disappearing over 39 mins in a loss. He's got three more years of that too, whether he likes it
or not, for every blech game Buddy puts up.

Kev

I think he was peeved at the firs question when I think they asked Tyus if he was coming back and then that question just set him off. I always think he comes off poorly in these situations and think he is very tough for going after a student reporter. If Andy Katz asked the question the reaction would have been totally different. People do because they can, and JB can do what he wants here whether we like it or not.

Tend to agree. His reaction is what makes this a "story". The reporter was probably trying to poke the bear but on the surface his question asking about the true freshman reserve who had to step in and replace the starting senior point guard that was suspended for the NCAAT game is a legit storyline. Just answer the question as briefly as you want to and be a professional about it and move on.
People talk about cutting student athletes a break because they aren't being paid. I believe the millionaire coach could do the same for the unpaid student reporter that is probably paying hefty tuition to be there.

It's a crap question from a local reporter, trying to place the blame on the coaches kid.
Why not focus on the defense, Brissett, the end of game by Tyus. Heck, why not ask how much Frank's absence hurt the team, if at all
Syracuse mindset is to eat it's own at times

It's a crap question from a local reporter, trying to place the blame on the coaches kid.
Why not focus on the defense, Brissett, the end of game by Tyus. Heck, why not ask how much Frank's absence hurt the team, if at all
Syracuse mindset is to eat it's own at times

"Buddy did his best to fill in for Frank. He's not used to playing that many minutes so he got tired down the stretch unfortunately."

Or you can get mad and call the reporter names. Same thing.

It's a standard question to ask if a player played bad that everyone knows did? No it's lazy and pointless. You don't even need to ask it. You can just write your Buddy struggled article and be done with it.
Not hitting shots is not playing bad. It happens.

Some of the student reporters are just trying to get a rise out of JB. They can be s. JB knows the ones who are doing their jobs compared to the ones with an agenda.

So he shows them up by...getting a rise?

Status
Not open for further replies.