The C in Copeland and other thoughts | Syracusefan.com

The C in Copeland and other thoughts

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
  • Copeland is so Clutch. He's a guy who can theoretically be shooting 20 % from the field and 50% from the line and you know he'll hit them in the clutch. But where he is particularly clutch is on Defense. How many steals/blocks/rebounds has he gotten at the end of games? I'm glad he is Orange
  • I didn't love all the 1-on 1 (or 3, for that matter) from Mintz, but his basket right after NC State took the lead was HUGE
  • I can't believe we didn't find a way to get Bell some more looks in the 2nd half after he hit 8 in a row in the 1st half.
  • I don't know if we got any rebounds in the first 12 minutes of the second half. It seemed every time NC State missed, they'd get the rebound and then get fouled
  • I lost count of how many And 1's we gave up, but it was a lot. Thought the refs let them mug Judah, while calling a ton of touch fouls on us
  • Hima played a decent few minutes
  • Though this game was going to slip away. Kudos to the guys for pulling it off.

Last edited:
Anybody see Coach Autry's reaction when we had a great matchup on Bell in the 2nd half (Their Big Center). I think it was JJ that dribbled 10 times and let them switch. Autry had a went ballistic, but went back to Coaching Mode. It was crazy. The announcers were saying the same thing. They even replayed the entire sequence. TWICE. People (Draymond Greene in particular) talk about how Coach did not run things for Bell, not true, bell does not shuffle to the open spot on the wing and in other cases our ballhandlers do not properly recognize the mismatch.

Bell played 40 minutes by the way. He did well defending the perimeter and I saw him battle for rebounds. This is a sophomore who went off for 26 points in the 1st half. Great Job. How many sophomores have gone off for 26 points in half for Syracuse. I do not recall any in my watching this since 1981.

Not a Mintz fan but he played gritty and helped tremendously in the 2nd half. Copeland was huge. NCSt., coach is a moron for not giving the ball to the big guy every time down the floor in the 2nd half. Every time. He put him on the bench after he torched us for 4 staring points at the 4 minute mark.

Refs were terrible. Begining of the 2nd half, Burns (Big Guy) got the ball down low. He made a few spins then walked right in front of the ref. Made the shot. Next play Taylor got called for a walk down the floor. Right then I knew these refs were terrible and frankly Roger Ayers (he no SU favorite) was great in this game in comparison to the two others.

Only 4 ACC teams have winning records on the road

Exactly. My strong guess is Draymond has never watched us play. Bell isn't Steph (fighting to get open constantly) and Mintz is not trying to get him the ball. I am fairly confident that Red called plays for Bell in the 2nd half. Doesn't mean they happened. Not to mention, NCSU played way more aggressively on Bell which opened up other players.

Anybody see Coach Autry's reaction when we had a great matchup on Bell in the 2nd half (Their Big Center). I think it was JJ that dribbled 10 times and let them switch. Autry had a went ballistic, but went back to Coaching Mode. It was crazy. The announcers were saying the same thing. They even replayed the entire sequence. TWICE. People (Draymond Greene in particular) talk about how Coach did not run things for Bell, not true, bell does not shuffle to the open spot on the wing and in other cases our ballhandlers do not properly recognize the mismatch.

Bell played 40 minutes by the way. He did well defending the perimeter and I saw him battle for rebounds. This is a sophomore who went off for 26 points in the 1st half. Great Job. How many sophomores have gone off for 26 points in half for Syracuse. I do not recall any in my watching this since 1981.

Not a Mintz fan but he played gritty and helped tremendously in the 2nd half. Copeland was huge. NCSt., coach is a moron for not giving the ball to the big guy every time down the floor in the 2nd half. Every time. He put him on the bench after he torched us for 4 staring points at the 4 minute mark.

Refs were terrible. Begining of the 2nd half, Burns (Big Guy) got the ball down low. He made a few spins then walked right in front of the ref. Made the shot. Next play Taylor got called for a walk down the floor. Right then I knew these refs were terrible and frankly Roger Ayers (he no SU favorite) was great in this game in comparison to the two others.

Taylor slid three feet. It would be a crime not to call that.

• Copeland is so Clutch. He's a guy who can theoretically be shooting 20 % from the field and 50% from the line and you know he'll hit them in the clutch. But where he is particularly clutch is on Defense. How many steals/blocks/rebounds has he gotten at the end of games? I'm glad he is Orange
  • I didn't love all the 1-on 1 (or 3, for that matter) from Mintz, but his basket right after NC State took the lead was HUGE
  • I can't believe we didn't find a way to get Bell some more looks in the 2nd half after he hit 8 in a row in the 1st half.
  • I don't know if we got any rebounds in the first 12 minutes of the second half. It seemed every time NC State missed, they'd get the rebound and then get fouled
  • I lost count of how many And 1's we gave up, but it was a lot. Thought the refs let them mug Judah, while calling a ton of touch fouls on us
  • Though this game was going to slip away. Kudos to the guys for pulling it off.
Next step for Q is to transition his C from clutch to consistent. He had a few plays I saw where his man waltzed right to the cup with little challenge from Cope. And a couple of his passes should never have left his hands. I’m much more high on him than I was at the beginning of the year, but he’s got work to do.

I wanted Red to put Cope on Horne for the entire game - I'm sure he wouldn't have shot 55% and gotten 32 pts.

Thought the refs favored NCSt but not as bad as some games and not enough to change the outcome.

i gotta say though, you know when Cope is about to turnover or miss a shot. I was surprised to see he shot 10/12 yesterday - because i could clearly remember his 2 misses and they were both FORCED out of control prayer heat checks.

same thing with turnovers. you can just see them coming when he gets overly excited with the no look, behind the back, or through the legs.

I love him having fun - but i'll say it after a good game just as much as i would after the inevitable bad game... Play within yourself. Be smarter.

Even the reverse dunk was an inch away from not getting 2 points.

Cope may be the most exciting player since Ernie DiGregorio. A lot of hotdogging but he makes most of it work.

I missed a lot of Pearl because I moved to the west coast in 1980 and TV back then was not what it is now.

I love him having fun - but i'll say it after a good game just as much as i would after the inevitable bad game... Play within yourself. Be smarter.
If that's what it takes for him to fill the stat sheet then I'm OK with the show boating a bit versus over standing around and expecting everyone else to play the bulk of the game.

Next step for Q is to transition his C from clutch to consistent. He had a few plays I saw where his man waltzed right to the cup with little challenge from Cope. And a couple of his passes should never have left his hands. I’m much more high on him than I was at the beginning of the year, but he’s got work to do.

Good news is he has come a long ways so that should be a reasonable expectation. Always is going to be a player with more volatility but that’s ok if it levels out

IMG_3636.jpeg

I couldn't believe in the Clemson game we didn't take advantage of Girard defending Bell. Our guards didn't get him the ball in those situations, except once when CB tried to back him down and inexplicably lost it out of bounds

Listen to the post game conference of the NCSt. coach. There were two (2) interesting comments. One was him being upset his team did not cover Bell in the first half. His comment was he has not seen Bell take 2 dribbles the entire year so he was pissed his team sagged off of him in the 1st half. If you watch the 2nd half, they did faced him up the entire half thus creating driving lanes for JJ, JM and Q.

Second comment was re: last shot of the game by his player (specifically if it was a foul). Keats (verbatum), "If it was Judah Mintz, it would be a foul, if it was normally officiated, no"

Wow, is he not a total jerk? He also said a few F-Bombs and S words during his conference. I watched his team beat up our players driving to the lane all game. Watched the blown travel calls by the refs on his team. Watch him be the 6th defender. Watched how close he stands to our players when they are inbounding the ball near his teams bench. Watched him avoid Red during the handshake at end of game. Then looked at our coach and realized we have a Class Act in our head coach.

Go CUSE

Listen to the post game conference of the NCSt. coach. There were two (2) interesting comments. One was him being upset his team did not cover Bell in the first half. His comment was he has not seen Bell take 2 dribbles the entire year so he was pissed his team sagged off of him in the 1st half. If you watch the 2nd half, they did faced him up the entire half thus creating driving lanes for JJ, JM and Q.

Second comment was re: last shot of the game by his player (specifically if it was a foul). Keats (verbatum), "If it was Judah Mintz, it would be a foul, if it was normally officiated, no"

Wow, is he not a total jerk? He also said a few F-Bombs and S words during his conference. I watched his team beat up our players driving to the lane all game. Watched the blown travel calls by the refs on his team. Watch him be the 6th defender. Watched how close he stands to our players when they are inbounding the ball near his teams bench. Watched him avoid Red during the handshake at end of game. Then looked at our coach and realized we have a Class Act in our head coach.

Go CUSE

Screw him.

Perhaps, in part, why some pundits allege the ACC is only a 4 bid league?

Go CUSE
After last night, he should be the last guy complaining of fouls. His team was in the bonus half the game, if not more

After last night, he should be the last guy complaining of fouls. His team was in the bonus half the game, if not more
It's lucky for the ACC refs we don't have any players like DC anymore. A referee might get accidently run over.

And UCant is on a decade long streak of losing to ranked teams on the road. That's how hard it is

Exactly. My strong guess is Draymond has never watched us play. Bell isn't Steph (fighting to get open constantly) and Mintz is not trying to get him the ball. I am fairly confident that Red called plays for Bell in the 2nd half. Doesn't mean they happened. Not to mention, NCSU played way more aggressively on Bell which opened up other players.
Great recipe for success... a guy who doesn't fight to get open and another guy (our point guard) that stops trying to get him the ball.

What stood out to me last night when Mintz started ramping up his hero ball, it didn't look like he even remembered that Bell was 8-9 in the first half. I thought we were going to lose when our only offense became driving to the basket, largely by Judah.

The article on .com is showing that Boeheim’s words last year, reinforced by Red and crew this year, are finally getting through. Glad to see Chris own it as well, acknowledging he didn’t take the criticism the right way. Not understanding JB was just tryin to get him to play to his actual potential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom