The Carrier Dome may be No. 78 in one poll, but it could (should?) be No. 1 in another | Syracusefan.com

The Carrier Dome may be No. 78 in one poll, but it could (should?) be No. 1 in another

Bud is right. However, here is something that can be done immediately to improve the appearance of the dome when there aren't enough fans in the seats: PAINT THOSE GLEAMING SILVER BLEACHERS ORANGE. If there were no roof, those bleachers would blind passing pilots; and you could probably see them from space. Paint them orange and they will blend into the crowd better and the Dome will suddenly seem a lot less empty.

It's possible they are hoping more and more people will purchase those individual seat cushions that are "permanently" attached.

Note to Bud P: reading comprehension is a beautiful thing. People should try doing it more often.

FYI, the article in question (which appears in a magazine I have never heard of) was not a "poll" or "national survey" (using Bud's terms). It was based on a "group of correspondents" who supposedly visited every stadium they ranked, using their own subjective criteria and judgement. The magazine article doesn't indicate how many correspondents were involved, or whether they all visited all of the stadiums (or more likely they were divvied-up). The "ranking" reported is not any sort of fan survey or meaningful scientific poll. From all indications it is simply the opinion of a couple of guys sitting around drinking beer.

And we sell beer. You'd think that when people put these rankings together, that would put us up a lot higher.

How we have failed to use this as an effective recruiting tool (for the parents) is beyond me. :)

Bud is right. However, here is something that can be done immediately to improve the appearance of the dome when there aren't enough fans in the seats: PAINT THOSE GLEAMING SILVER BLEACHERS ORANGE. If there were no roof, those bleachers would blind passing pilots; and you could probably see them from space. Paint them orange and they will blend into the crowd better and the Dome will suddenly seem a lot less empty.
How well does paint adhere to bare aluminum? Just wait til people start complaining that the paint is staining their clothes, or sticking to their (freshly-augmented at the State Fair) butts.

How well does paint adhere to bare aluminum? Just wait til people start complaining that the paint is staining their clothes, or sticking to their (freshly-augmented at the State Fair) butts.

This concern falls on deaf ears, but it's valid.

If it were easy to paint everything orange, they'd have done it. Paint won't adhere well to the bleachers themselves and it'll forever get scuffed and dinged both there and if applied to the risers of the stairs and stands. SU doesn't want to spend a lot of money to make an aesthetic change that increases the need for maintenance (something they're not very good at to begin with - check out the condition of campus bathrooms, flower beds, sidewalks, etc.).

And you're right - the first guy to get orange paint on the seat of his pants will be just as displeased as all the fans who currently lament the lack of paint.

TGD says it can't be done for a number of reasons. The time for getting Orange bleacher's was when they were ordered and readied for the grand opening in 1980.

I don't literally mean, go down to Sherwin Williams and pick up a can of orange paint. But there must be some sort of industrial finish that could permanently adhere to those bleachers. I don't know if they have previously explored the idea, all I know is that it looks like pure crap when I'm in the building and 10x worse on television.

How about filling the Dome with fans wearing orange? Seats be damned!:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom