The Center Position & How it’s affecting this program | Syracusefan.com

The Center Position & How it’s affecting this program

longislandcuse

Living Legend
The insistence on having a shot blocker for the zone is why we are where we are.

It’s that simple.

You can’t play 4 on 5, especially when that guy is clogging space in the lane.

Isolation offense can work when you have isolation players. Battle, Carey, Brissett etc can all get into the lane... where they instantly get met by a help defender and the corpse of an offensive player in orange.

Pick and roll/ Pick and pop is a staple of modern offense. You can’t run it when the Center can’t shoot, catch, dribble or dunk.

Many teams can play inside-out. This opens up shooters for kick outs. You can’t do that when your Centers have zero post skills.

You want to fix this program. Fix our Center situation.

The insistence on having a shot blocker for the zone is why we are where we are.

It’s that simple.

You can’t play 4 on 5, especially when that guy is clogging space in the lane.

Isolation offense can work when you have isolation players. Battle, Carey, Brissett etc can all get into the lane... where they instantly get met by a help defender and the corpse of an offensive player in orange.

Pick and roll/ Pick and pop is a staple of modern offense. You can’t run it when the Center can’t shoot, catch, dribble or dunk.

Many teams can play inside-out. This opens up shooters for kick outs. You can’t do that when your Centers have zero post skills.

You want to fix this program. Fix our Center situation.

At risk of being a broken record, but we lost to ODU so screw it...

Maybe in 2018 where the 3 point shot is a basic part of the game at EVERY LEVEL due to the popularity of players like Curry, Klay, etc. We move towards mixing up the defenses. That would be fantastic too

What I don't understand is why aren't they improving? I can understand bringing in some big guys with length that can play solid D from the start but might struggle on O. But why has there been no improvement from their offensive game their entire time here? Aren't the coaches supposed to help players improve their skillset?

Doesn't help when said shot blocking center struggles on defense/takes stupid fouls. Chukwu can be a monster on defense but he's been bad on D so far this year

I love Chukwu. He's a tough kid who plays hard for the team, but he's too frail and he struggles to hold onto the ball. I'd almost prefer to roll with Marek at the 5 for the majority of the game. We really won't have a solution against teams with beef.

At risk of being a broken record, but we lost to ODU so screw it...

Maybe in 2018 where the 3 point shot is a basic part of the game at EVERY LEVEL due to the popularity of players like Curry, Klay, etc. We move towards mixing up the defenses. That would be fantastic too

It's not due to Curry and Klay, it's due to it being smart and realizing it wins games.

I love Chukwu. He's a tough kid who plays hard for the team, but he's too frail and he struggles to hold onto the ball. I'd almost prefer to roll with Marek at the 5 for the majority of the game. We really won't have a solution against teams with beef.

How is Chukwu tough?

It's not due to Curry and Klay, it's due to it being smart and realizing it wins games.

Well my point is kids think 3 pt shooting is cool, thus, more players are shooting 3s

Well my point is kids think 3 pt shooting is cool, thus, more players are shooting 3s

Shooting more and making more. The zone dares you to shoot 3s. As players become better at it you get these results

I still don't understand why people expect more from chukwu. He's a tall cast off from Providence College. He's never shown any propensity for offense.

JB recruits for the zone. Period. He needs to recruit basketball players and stop trying to convert tall guys.

we had christmas, fab and dc2 not too long ago in the post. all top ranked. what's changed ?

Should’ve hired Derrick Coleman IMO

I can’t believe none of these multimillionaires in their 40s and 50s don’t want to move to Syracuse and spend their time tweeting and texting 16 year olds, flying around the country, and getting blamed by morons on the internet every time a player sucks or a high school player picks another school.

I posted a similar topic Raks senior year about the lack of recruiting and concern for the future at the position. Anybody can guess how that topic went. I was told how Chinoso would be a very serviceable player.

tenor.gif

Is it smart to have a staff full of former guards?

Asking for a friend.

I don't know the answer, but is it expected for these particular centers to struggle so much? Are they just not very good, and there's nothing we can do but avert our eyes and hope?

I posted a similar topic Raks senior year about the lack of recruiting and concern for the future at the position. Anybody can guess how that topic went. I was told how Chinoso would be a very serviceable player.
Preseason I said one of my biggest factors going into this season was sidibe and notably his health. We know what pc will provide and on offense it is minimal. I was really hoping bourama could be a legit low post threat that we saw at times last year. No clue how his knees are feeling but at this juncture, that’s a long way away.

Is it smart to have a staff full of former guards?

Asking for a friend.

I don't know the answer, but is it expected for these particular centers to struggle so much? Are they just not very good, and there's nothing we can do but avert our eyes and hope?

Duke does.

When my 71-year old mother turns to us at the game today and says that Chukwu and Sidibe aren’t very good, then that says something.

It’s laughable that they keep trying to run a high pick and roll when neither Chukwu or Sidibe have shown on a consistent basis that they can catch an entry pass/lead pass, let alone finish it if they do manage to corral the pass.

Preseason I said one of my biggest factors going into this season was sidibe and notably his health. We know what pc will provide and on offense it is minimal. I was really hoping bourama could be a legit low post threat that we saw at times last year. No clue how his knees are feeling but at this juncture, that’s a long way away.

Not to be that guy but even before the Injury the only real good game Sidibe had was against a Pitt team that was horrific and one of the worst in ACC history. Not giving up on the kid by any stretch but hes looked like a non d1 player this year.

Not to be that guy but even before the Injury the only real good game Sidibe had was against a Pitt team that was horrific and one of the worst in ACC history. Not giving up on the kid by any stretch but hes looked like a non d1 player this year.
I agree that inflated things. But he also didn’t play a lot last year bc of that injury. And we know what they say about freshman bigs..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom