The Center Position | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Center Position

He and Dolezaj improved play are a huge reason for improved play. One bad game does not negate their progress.

BTW Sidibe hasn't missed a shot in the last 3 games now.
How many of those though were outside of 3 feet? I recall 0.

How many of those was he missing in the beginning of the year...

So we're now excited that our 7 foot JR center with 80 games played is able to consistently make layups and block 1 shot per game? I could understand being excited about that if we were Siena.

I’ll take any progress we can get
I'm sure we'll all take any progress but his per 40 numbers don't really show much difference between now and his FR year when he was hobbled.

We have no credible Center and no depth for years. Who's doing the recruiting because it doesn't change.

Our expectations for that position have became so low that it is sad. Guy is in year 3 with 80 games experience at this point and we're basically happy that he manages 2 putbacks or lay ins and 7 boards in 25 mins. Not like he's a big deterrent either like some of the previous offensive black hole 7 footers we've had of late, averaging a single bpg.

I laughed at the first line. We've been conditioned for this!!! :)

How many of those was he missing in the beginning of the year...

Concur. I think everyone is sort of arguing different things. I have no need to bash him, or much of anyone on the team, other than to say I still think most everyone is at most a really good back-up, who could start given the right roster composition...

Earlier in the year every time he touched the ball he seemed to either travel, travel and not get called for it, or travel so much that it confused everyone to the point where they just let him do his own thing out of pity.

He just sort of spun, twisted, and contorted himself repeatedly often leading to a turnover, or missed shot. He certainly made some, but I feel like now he's a bit more determined to take the ball up and score without all the wasted movement. Whether he's graceful about it or not, it's progress. I'll give him credit for that - he's improving in most ways even if it's not that noticeable at times.

So we're now excited that our 7 foot JR center with 80 games played is able to consistently make layups and block 1 shot per game? I could understand being excited about that if we were Siena.
Who's excited? But we need him to make teams pay for leaving him alone. He is now doing that.

Who's excited? But we need him to make teams pay for leaving him alone. He is now doing that.

Full circle... Sidibe's moderate progress on offense comes from a point of being downright awful. So better doesn't mean anywhere near good enough.

Plus, defensively he's still awful.

We need a massive upgrade at this position.

It's been known for quite some time.

It's just baffling we can't get anyone that's not a project, not too skinny, not a converted guard fill-in, or all of the above.

Give JB the hat...

This post season is the time for him to pull a rabbit JUCO or grad transfer center out of it.

Full circle... Sidibe's moderate progress on offense comes from a point of being downright awful. So better doesn't mean anywhere near good enough.

Plus, defensively he's still awful.

We need a massive upgrade at this position.

It's been known for quite some time.

It's just baffling we can't get anyone that's not a project, not too skinny, not a converted guard fill-in, or all of the above.

Give JB the hat...

This post season is the time for him to pull a rabbit JUCO or grad transfer center out of it.

Sidibe's and Marek's improvement helped us win five straight. They had a bad game and we lost.

It is what it is...BTW check out the recruiting board there is a transfer from Columbia you might like.

Sidibe's and Marek's improvement helped us win five straight. They had a bad game and we lost.

It is what it is...BTW check out the recruiting board there is a transfer from Columbia you might like.
Who just so happens to be visiting this weekend.

Marek for sure...

Sidibe - meh... some moderate offensive improvement - but he simply can't play defense.

Tape would be a good pickup, but I am confused, as I see him listed as a power forward, not a center... Altho Syracuse.com says he's a center...

Marek for sure...

Sidibe - meh... some moderate offensive improvement - but he simply can't play defense.

Tape would be a good pickup, but I am confused, as I see him listed as a power forward, not a center... Altho Syracuse.com says he's a center...
Kids don't like being labeled a center anymore...

Hey, according to KenPom, Sidibe is 2nd in the ACC for offensive rebounding percentage, 6th for defensive rebounding percentage, 7th for block percentage and 14th for offensive efficiency. But 60th for minutes percentage. His problem is staying on the court.

I'm sure we'll all take any progress but his per 40 numbers don't really show much difference between now and his FR year when he was hobbled.

Bourama as a freshman:
12.4m 8.7p 10.3r 0.4a 1.1s 2.1b = 22.6+ 2.3mfg 2.3mft 2.9to 7.6pf = 15.1- = 7.5NP 3.7OE 3.8FG

as a sophomore:
10.1m 7.5p 10.5r 0.7a 2.0s 1.9b = 22.6+ 3.0mfg 3.5mft 1.2to 9.3pf = 17.0- = 5.6NP 1.0OE 4.6FG

as a junior:
23.4m 9.0p 12.2r 0.3a 2.0s 2.0b = 25.5+ 2.0mfg 1.0mft 1.7to 6.9pf = 11.6- = 13.9NP 6.0OE 7.9FG

As frustrating as he can be at time, Bourama has improve this year over his previous two, based on his per 40 stats.

coming attractions

NECA-Godzilla-62-Figure-031.jpg

Sidibe is 6-10, not 7ft, and he was injured last year. He’s gotten better for sure. There are not a lot of good centers in the ACC or in college basketball. It’s not like we are feeding him all day and asking him to score a lot. Kid came in as a 3-star kid, so limited. He’s not going to put up 10 and 10 each night. If he approaches 8 and 8 as a senior, that‘s pretty good.

BTW, Virginia’s 7-1, 245 lb JR center, Jay Huff, averages 8 and 6 in the same amount of mpg.

Last edited:
Sidibe is 6-10, not 7ft, and he was injured last year. He’s gotten better for sure. There are not a lot of good centers in the ACC or in college basketball. It’s not like we are feeding him all day and asking him to score a lot. Kid came in as a 3-star kid, so limited. He’s not going to put up 10 and 10 each night. If he approaches 8 and 8 as a senior, that‘s pretty good.

BTW, Virginia’s 7-1, 245 lb JR center, Jay Huff, averages 8 and 6 in the same amount of mpg.

I always thought 3 stars translated into a major college starter, 4 stars was all-league and 5 stars was an all-american.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom