The Coach's Show | Syracusefan.com

The Coach's Show

SWC75

Bored Historian
Like Coach Marrone’s show, Coach Boeheim’s showis on locally at TK-99 FM but on Thursdays at 7PM, rather than 8PM on Wednesdays. Fans can call the show from 1-888-7GO-CUSE, (1-888-746-2873) or 315-424-TK99, (315-424-8599), or E-Mail the coach from the Radio Mailbox link on the front page of SU Athletics.com They are at the Delmonico’s Restaurant and you can ask questions there live.
Later in the season they will go back to having a second hour with Gomez of the “Gomez and Dave” radio show. The second half hour is local only and can be heard on 97.7FM from 8PM. You can call into that part of the show at 315-437-7644.

The shows are, (eventually), pod cast on the SU Athletics website:

http://www.suathletics.com/podcasts.aspx

(However only the first hour is podcasted.)

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, much of the preseason talk has been about who should play center and who should be the power forward on this team. What are the primary skills you look for from those two positions in your offense and defense? Also is it necessary that the same player be the center on both ends or could a better offensive center switch off with a better defensive center when there is a change of possession?”

HCJB
(I’ve re-arranged the order of some of the comments based on the subject.)

Matt Park thanked the coach for setting up the unusual experience of playing a basketball game on the deck of a carrier. Coach said that the view was breathtaking and as you walked the deck you couldn’t help but be impressed with the size of the ship and think about it’s role in the various wars our nation has fought. He was also pleased that people on the west coast, particularly those associated with Syracuse, got to see the team play in person.

“With the wind we knew we had to drive. CJ made two short jumpers and then that three. We didn’t make another (jump) shot the rest of the game. It was 17-4. Without those shots it would have been maybe 8-4 and it would have been a tough game. We gutted it out. San Diego State is tough and physical, a little like Pittsburgh or Wisconsin. We did a good job getting to the basket. We had the good sense to stop shooting threes. The wind was bad in the second half. There were a lot of fouls called. The got a lot of free throws. Fortunately they missed a lot of them. They got a little bit mental about the wind. They missed some shots but we got some great blocks inside. They lost confidence and rushed their shots. It wasn‘t just the blocks but the threat of a block.”

I called in my questions. HCJB: “In certain sets there’s no difference between a 5 and 4 on offense. In some sets it’s a little different. We might want to have James Southerland because he can shoot better and is more mobile. There’s a big difference on defense. Baye is our best defender. He’s never played forward although he probably could. Rak and DaJuan can play both positions. They aren’t great yet but they are interchangeable. You can block more shots from the forward position than from the center. We’ll go with two big guys quite a bit but will use the others guys as well.”

They talked out the upcoming opponent, Wagner, who beat Pittsburgh last season. “They won 25 games and have 3-4 starters returning. I saw them last year against Pittsburgh and they played really well. Pitt will be better this year. They have a lot of good players and are much improved.” Wagner also has a Michigan State transfer, Dwaun Anderson, who was Michigan’s Mr. Basketball in 2011.

Matt said that Michael Carter-Williams’ performance “was a real confidence booster”. HCJB: “He had a tremendous game under tough conditions. We have two guards who can put the ball on the floor as well as anybody. Our big guys will get better. In high school they don’t have to do much. Baye is tremendous on defense and does the little things. It wasn’t a game for James or Trevor, although James did some good things. You’re going to go with your veterans in a game like that. Jerami Grant is thin and not able to play with guys who push him around.”

A caller suggested that SU’s bench would be a top 25 team. JB: “Careful now!” Jim said that this year’s team “doesn’t have quite as much depth as last year’s team. “We had a #4 draft choice coming off the bench. Kris Joseph played about 27-28 minutes. Scoop played about 28 minutes. Our guards will probably play 30 minutes this year. I’ve said we will play nine guys but not that they will all get the same minutes.”

Matt remembered to congratulate the Coach on another gold medal. He wondered who will be coaching the next team and if Mike Hopkins could be involved. “It will probably be a pro coach. The NBA coaches don’t like college guys coaching their players so it will be one of them. Mike has made a lot of friends and will be in a good position with USA Basketball.” He said he had “learned a lot of little things in the Olympics, especially some of the offensive stuff. The basic style hasn’t changed that much. We are mostly working on defense in practice. We have new guys in new positions. It takes a while to get coordinated offensively but you want to play good defense from the start. Defense won that (San Diego State) game. We are difficult to beat when we shoot well. I want to win when we don’t.”

Matt wondered if this is the “longest” team we’ve had. He said Michael Carter-Williams is “6-4, even though he’s listed at 6-6”, Brandon Triche” is that and then some”. He noted that MCW’s armspan was “bigger than Jerami Grant’s” JB: “We’re bigger in the backcourt. CJ is bigger than 6-7 or 6-8, (I think he meant “playing bigger”) Rak and DaJuan when they are in there together are as big as we’ve been and have good quickness….Coleman has good feet. But, even though he‘s slimmed down, he still carries a good 280 pounds. He‘s not used to running. He works hard. In most cases it takes time to be good.”

Jim from Central Square asked about Coleman covering “reversals to the corner”. JB: “He’ll get there and Rak will get there. A 6-5 guys would get there faster but he’s only 6-5.” He talked bout his best defenders “out front” and cited Kueth Duany and Jason Cipolla, “although Jason wasn’t as quick”. He didn’t mention the best of all: Andy Rautins.

They talked about the situation with the Lakers. JB: “If you are 1-4 in LA, you are in trouble. It made no sense to use the Princeton offense with the Lakers. Dwight Howard has to come out front and pass and shoot from outside. It made no sense. Mike D’Antoni knows how to coach offense and the triangle was not the best with Steve Nash. Their first group is as good as anyone.”

Matt brought up the Celtics who have sent Kris Joseph and Fab Melo down to the developmental league. JB: “I felt that would happen. It’s a pretty good accomplishment to play for that team. They need to play. The Celtics are old. They will play good minutes if they can play well.” He also felt the trade to the Bobcats would be good for Hakim Warrick, “They need scoring.”

Matt brought up Connecticut’s upset win over Michigan State. JB: “Their guards are really good. They are a lot better than people think they are.” They discussed Duke’s win over Kentucky. “They have three seniors. Kentucky is not quite as good. Their guard play isn’t nearly as good and they lost a couple of good shooters. Seth Curry has been playing college ball for 5 years. But they will be good. They’ll have another top 10 team.”

“The gap between the top teams and the mid-majors has narrowed. You would never see Duke losing to Lehigh, (as they did in the first round of last year’s tournament), ten years ago. Bucknell is going to be very good this year. Xavier beat Butler. Gonzaga beat West Virginia badly. Davidson is very good again. Wagner is pretty darn good.”

Baye is our best defender...interesting.
With the potential that DC2 and Rak bring, people tend to forget about Keita, but we could see how much confidence JB had in him against SDSU.

If he can get 6 points on put backs or quick finishes, he won't hurt us at all.

With the potential that DC2 and Rak bring, people tend to forget about Keita, but we could see how much confidence JB had in him against SDSU.

If he can get 6 points on put backs or quick finishes, he won't hurt us at all.
I never had any concerns that Keita would hurt us.

Baye is an extraordinary young man in many ways. Think about it. Two years ago, he came here from a totally different culture and continent. He had no relatives or friends in the US. He had studied English in school, but it was far from his first language. He was viewed as a project, with potential on defense, but no offense. For many, he was an after-thought to Fab Melo.

Today, he is one of the best-liked players on the team. No one works harder. No one loves SU more than he does. He is the best student on the team. And a person long connected with SU basketball calls him "my favorite player ever." He's an amazing story as a person. And I am so glad to see he is becoming a real contributor on the floor.

Keita will be a very important piece this season.

Baye is an extraordinary young man in many ways. Think about it. Two years ago, he came here from a totally different culture and continent. He had no relatives or friends in the US. He had studied English in school, but it was far from his first language. He was viewed as a project, with potential on defense, but no offense. For many, he was an after-thought to Fab Melo.

Today, he is one of the best-liked players on the team. No one works harder. No one loves SU more than he does. He is the best student on the team. And a person long connected with SU basketball calls him "my favorite player ever." He's an amazing story as a person. And I am so glad to see he is becoming a real contributor on the floor.
I had a gut feeling on the description of Baye that you gave--happy to have it confirmed.

Sure -- he is obviously a very good defender. Easily would get 9 or 10 rebs a game if he played 30 minutes.

I meant he has to do something on offense, and 6 inside points would be fine, given what he does at the other end. Can say the same for Rak. The perimeter guys will lead the offense (including what BT, CJ and Mike can do in the paint).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom