The committee told us that conference record means nothing | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The committee told us that conference record means nothing

5 teams with losing conference records received at-larges. Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona State and Syracuse.

Nebraska went 13-5 in the Big Ten.
USC 12-6 in the PAC-12.

JB nailed the non-conference this year.
Neutral site-UConn
@Georgetown
Neutral site-Kansas
Big Ten-ACC challenge
Buffalo
St. Bonaventure
Iona
No bad 250 RPI teams.

Hope we keep this format going.
It seems like the criteria is always changing as the make up of the committee changes. A few years ago the committee was strict in that a losing conference record was a disqualifier. This committee felt differently.

Seems like that quality wins are much more highly valued than bad losses are penalized. A program is better off grabbing OOC pelts and making sure it's conference record is just not terrible.

The thing that is weird is that there is no transference at play. Beating top teams is valuable, but beating a team that beat the top teams isn't valued.

I agree with that.

The whole quadrant thing is weird because it relies on the RPI. Over the weekend we all wanted Buffalo to win to ensure another quadrant one win. I doubt anybody looked at it from the vantage point of whether Buffalo would get an at large bid if they lost to Toledo. In other words, SU's home win over Buffalo was considered of the highest quality yet not so high quality that Buffalo would have def received an at large bid.

I do find it a little weird than non con record seems to matter but conference record doesn't.
I think the NCAA needs to do something to regulate non-conference games. Not just hint but by rule. One arguement the mid-level teams make is that they have less oportunity to rack Q1 and Q2 games because they play in softer conferences. Now the discussion about valuing OCS. I think the NCAA should say that OCS should have like a 2:1 or no worse than a 3:1 ratio of home to away games. (neutrsl sites don't apply). And include a metric for strength of the oponent. So P5 teams have play on the road and to play decent teams thus giving mid-level teams more oportunity to play better teams.

I'm trying to get my head around the context where USC can go 14-7 in the Pac-12 and ASU goes 8-11 and yet ASU gets the nod over USC.

wf2n0.jpg

Of course. Ya think maybe the NCAA did not want Ok State in there given that they were, like USC and L'ville, caught up in the latest scandals.

I sure do.

I agree with that.

The whole quadrant thing is weird because it relies on the RPI. Over the weekend we all wanted Buffalo to win to ensure another quadrant one win. I doubt anybody looked at it from the vantage point of whether Buffalo would get an at large bid if they lost to Toledo. In other words, SU's home win over Buffalo was considered of the highest quality yet not so high quality that Buffalo would have def received an at large bid.

This is very fair. Not only that, but Virginia Tech, for instance, a team we beat at home and made the field as an at large, wasn't a Q1 win, while Buffalo, who probably misses out without the auto bid, was a Q1 win

Rhode Island offered St.Mary’s a home/home this year with the game at St.Mary’s.
St.Mary’s declined and Rhode Island played at Nevada instead.
Nevada got an at-large.

St. Mary’s also lost to Georgia and Washington State in Wooden Legacy.
They didn’t challenge themselves in the nonconference. They could probably get enough home/homes to get an at-large. Nevada offered them one as well.

No doubt StM got what they deserved. But they're the outliers when it comes to mid-majors.

If I were the president of the Notoriously Corrupt Athletic Association I would mandate that all power cons must play at least one true road game against a non power con team.

No doubt StM got what they deserved. But they're the outliers when it comes to mid-majors.

If I were the president of the Notoriously Corrupt Athletic Association I would mandate that all power cons must play at least one true road game against a non power con team.
Just one road game is enough for me.
P5 don’t need to play at non-P5s unless they want too.

SU has Gtown at home next year and we will play a Big Ten team on the road.
2 games at MSG against 2 of Iowa/Oregon/UConn.
Cornell
Colgate
Offer Buffalo another paycheck.
Find solid eastern midmajors to play at the Dome.

Cornell
Colgate

One road game seems like a very minor ask considering that every aspect is rigged in favor of the power cons.

Ok did Jimmy really scout/project that a lot of the mid major teams we played were going to be on top of their conferences? or was that just fate?

Cornell
Colgate

Hope we add UB to next year's schedule, as well. They have mostly everyone returning and should be a top 50 opponent again.

I'd look at Iona again. They're always pretty solid.

Another couple of MAC teams would help too (EMich is probably one).

St. Bon will likely take a big step back losing Adams/Mobley, so maybe another A-10 team instead...(St Joe's, VCU?)

Syracuse at Albany
Duke at UNC-Central
Louisville at Morehead St
Villanova at Lafayette
Kansas at UMKC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online