the crane the crane | Page 300 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

whats all the scaffolding over by Tomcats seats and the stuff above it?

I do think though punts may hit the board a bit right now. its like back in the day when we used to play catch throwing balls over the house
Good question. Maybe for AC? Sound? No idea.

Another good picture from the inside.

For the record, that stuff is installed up near the ring on the third level on the north (left) side of the building. I am on the south side, near the coaches boxes (right side of this picture). It looks like they are going to do the same thing on that side but are not as far along yet. Looks like they still have some work to do on the north side as well.

Looks like the new endzone scoreboards have been installed.

I assume that big loop of cables in the middle of the roof is for the center hung scoreboard. Data and power.

Lastly, not sure if anyone has said it but it appears layer 2 of the hard shell is complete. I think they have to trim some excess material. maybe some other cleanup type stuff.

But the deed is essentially done.

Still not seeing much progress with the PTFE section.

Last edited:
just looking at the size of that board, its twice what we had before on the ends.. Also thinking it cant really be any lower than almost even with the top of the upperdeck just looking at where the low end of the top is right now.I wonder if those is in the upperdeck will even be able to see the boards on the other end now, not that we will have a reason too.

As we approach the end, I think I speak for most of the craniacs and the whole FINE MESS gang: We need to set up a special FINE MESS tail gate as soon as permitted - and pony up some free beers for all of the Dome construction workers. This was a complex design, high skill levels (not to mention huge ba*ls), materials sourced from every direction, hundreds of pieces of equipment including one of the biggest cranes in the world, [Edit] WW Pandemic ... you name it this project had it - except bad weather. I believe a number of local union shops were involved, and they should be proud of their work. Cheers to you guys.

Last edited:
As we approach the end, I think I speak for most of the craniacs and the whole FINE MESS gang, we need to set up a special FINE MESS tail gate as soon as fans are back online - and pony up some free beers for all of the Dome construction workers. This was a complex design, high skill levels (not to mention huge ba*ls), materials sourced from every direction, hundreds of pieces of equipment including one of the biggest cranes in the world ... you name it this project had it - except bad weather. I believe a number of local union shops were involved .. and they should be proud of their work. Cheers to you guys.
So true. A lot of people worked their tails off to make this happen. Even under the best of circumstances, it would have been a remarkable achievement to get this done given the severe time constraints they had to deal with.

Making it happen through a world wide pandemic, with trade wars going on and the crazy Syracuse weather though...just amazing.

What a shame that the debut of the new building will probably be in front of no one but the players, officials and some support staff.

It looks like they might be about to install a PTFE panel that is visible from the Lawrinson camera. There are 4 or 5 people standing around there doing something now.

090820.jpg

Hard roof is complete and more PTFE on the arches. Interesting that they are skipping rows. But from the Lawrinson camera one can see activity on the “back” of the first skipped row.

F68245F0-994F-49DF-8BE8-0DBD46810AC8.jpeg
C121E9A9-3808-4DB4-813F-B5ACD461268D.jpeg
FFF451BB-72D4-4DE1-AB38-9B0F47EF66EA.jpeg

Hard roof is complete and more PTFE on the arches. Interesting that they are skipping rows. But from the Lawrinson camera one can see activity on the “back” of the first skipped row.
Yes, they covered up a couple of panels not long ago.

Here are a couple of screen captures before and after from today.

090820a.jpg

090820b.jpg

Looks like more is coming before the end of the day.

I think if you look at one of the "illegal" pictures that was looking up from the ground a week or so ago, you could see the pattern of the PFTE part of the roof, and it looked like it was every other row, strangely. It's now following that pattern as they put the actual fabric in.

I assume there's a reason for doing the install like that, maybe it makes it easier to install others?

I think if you look at one of the "illegal" pictures that was looking up from the ground a week or so ago, you could see the pattern of the PFTE part of the roof, and it looked like it was every other row, strangely. It's now following that pattern as they put the actual fabric in.

I assume there's a reason for doing the install like that, maybe it makes it easier to install others?
I was thinking when they finish one row, they might detach the safety net from one side of the cables, leave it in place on the other and reattach it to the next row of cables.

If they have a limited about of safety netting, it would be the most efficient way to use it.

I was thinking when they finish one row, they might detach the safety net from one side of the cables, leave it in place on the other and reattach it to the next row of cables.

If they have a limited about of safety netting, it would be the most efficient way to use it.
Just don't make a misstep.

Question for the military folks here. What’s the caliber of that thing the sniper in Link has zeroed in with RDS on Hendricks Chapel? Should we be worried about gaining a dome while losing one? It’s been a constant “sighting” every afternoon. Or is this just QA of the roof project?

7457DEAD-5A50-4D31-831A-0BCD7B2EFD46.jpeg

Looks like they are putting together another crane inside on the dome floor.

090820c.jpg

Question for the military folks here. What’s the caliber of that thing the sniper in Link has zeroed in with RDS on Hendricks Chapel? Should we be worried about gaining a dome while losing one? It’s been a constant “sighting” every afternoon. Or is this just QA of the roof project?

View attachment 187480
SUHawkCam.PNG

With any kind of luck, someone is about get busy on the chimney in the Hawk Cam :)

View attachment 187482
With any kind of luck, someone is about get busy on the chimney in the Hawk Cam :)
If you are interested in how flies behave in the presence of brick chimneys, this feed is for you.

I think the PTFE install will be done in a week. Please switch back to the dome for just another week. Chimneys are not compelling subjects for a live feed.

If we get a serious earthquake though, this footage could be invaluable.

View attachment 187480
I'm not sure of the caliber, but it looks North Korean.

That's an electromagnetic pulse transmitter. It will be aimed at the opposing team bench. When it is triggered, it emits an emp at the frequency of the lower intestine, which results in a loss of bowel control.
Maybe it's a weaponized microwave pulsar set up to cause confusion among opposing players (the "Frey Effect"). :cool:

Last edited:
they have to pick up the pace on the pfte if the team is going to get any time in there before the 26th

I understand it might not happen this year, but I do hope that the plan with this roof is to eventually have lighting that would make it look a bit like this:

View attachment 187477
That would be a great look. Agreed hopefully there is something like that in the near future.

they have to pick up the pace on the pfte if the team is going to get any time in there before the 26th
They've gotten up like 10 pieces in 3-4 actual days of work. They're cruising on those.