the crane the crane | Page 349 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

That's the facility, but unfortunately that's no longer the design. (I think the original bid process got caught up in the corruption scandal and the state went back to the drawing board.) The new building will be smaller and much uglier (IMO) - gray paneling with blocky windows, in the parlance of our times.

That's the facility, but unfortunately that's no longer the design. (I think the original bid process got caught up in the corruption scandal and the state went back to the drawing board.) The new building will be smaller and much uglier (IMO) - gray paneling with blocky windows, in the parlance of our times.
Is this the new design?

EU3M6FPRCRFLNG6LNIECV5VK5M.png

I agree with you. The first design was okay. This is very uninspired, even by Syracuse standards.

It looks like one of those hideous cover-ups the butchers did to the department stores downtown to make them look 'modern'.

100 years can't go by fast enough, so it can be knocked down and replaced by something attractive.

Is this the new design?

EU3M6FPRCRFLNG6LNIECV5VK5M.png

I agree with you. The first design was okay. This is very uninspired, even by Syracuse standards.

It looks like one of those hideous cover-ups the butchers did to the department stores downtown to make them look 'modern'.

100 years can't go by fast enough, so it can be knocked down and replaced by something attractive.

Yep. Pretty bad, I agree with you. And I hate the skybridges. Failed 1970s design.

Yeah I thought I remembered seeing something more bland. Similar to the cancer center they built across the street. Typical uninspired gray garbage.

Yep. Pretty bad, I agree with you. And I hate the skybridges. Failed 1970s design.
Minneapolis is pretty cool. They have a series of interconnected skywalks that go through buildings and allow you to go virtually anyplace downtown without going outside. Which in Minneapolis, in the winter, is a good thing. :)

Minneapolis is pretty cool. They have a series of interconnected skywalks that go through buildings and allow you to go virtually anyplace downtown without going outside. Which in Minneapolis, in the winter, is a good thing. :)

It's nice in Minneapolis given the weather, but even there plays havoc with the street life. Lot of dead sidewalks. And it's done no favors to the commercial real estate either.

Also Houston, to stay out of the oppressive heat/humidity.

Has phase 2 / 3 been scrapped? Seems like they missed a perfect time to get the project completely done. I haven’t heard anything on it.

Has phase 2 / 3 been scrapped? Seems like they missed a perfect time to get the project completely done. I haven’t heard anything on it.
They have stepped up the timeline on some phase 2 objectives.

Last I heard, AC was nearing completion. I think Pete was saying he expected might be done in March.

I believe a bunch of the ADA improvements (bathrooms made compliant, sensory room) and the new concession stands were also originally phase 2 objectives.

All done with the university under severe financial constraints due to the pandemic.

They have stepped up the timeline on some phase 2 objectives.

Last I heard, AC was nearing completion. I think Pete was saying he expected might be done in March.

I believe a bunch of the ADA improvements (bathrooms made compliant, sensory room) and the new concession stands were also originally phase 2 objectives.

All done with the university under severe financial constraints due to the pandemic.
I understand the pandemic but it’s a bit short sided to not finish the major construction side of the project now when there aren’t any fans in the dome. If they do those projects in a year or two you’re probably looking at losing more revenue shipping games out of the dome during construction. Im guessing they reevaluated things and are leaving it at phase 1 with some minor additions. Seems like a lost opportunity to make the dome stand out for years to come.

I understand the pandemic but it’s a bit short sided to not finish the major construction side of the project now when there aren’t any fans in the dome. If they do those projects in a year or two you’re probably looking at losing more revenue shipping games out of the dome during construction. Im guessing they reevaluated things and are leaving it at phase 1 with some minor additions. Seems like a lost opportunity to make the dome stand out for years to come.

If replacing the entire roof didn't result in any games being moved elsewhere due to construction, then there is no other construction work left to be done that would result in that. Also, the University can't magically make money appear out of thin air.

Never was a Phase2/3 that was funded. There was a phase 1/1A that is being completed ahead of schedule and a wish list of additional enhancements that would require a major cash infusion and potential regulatory waivers.
Yes, we would love to see upscale seating, wider concourses, state of the art amenities now, but I’ll be thrilled to see what has been accomplished in the last 13 months and dream about the next steps when we return to a degree of normality.

Never was a Phase2/3 that was funded. There was a phase 1/1A that is being completed ahead of schedule and a wish list of additional enhancements that would require a major cash infusion and potential regulatory waivers.
Yes, we would love to see upscale seating, wider concourses, state of the art amenities now, but I’ll be thrilled to see what has been accomplished in the last 13 months and dream about the next steps when we return to a degree of normality.
So can someone just highlight all the phase 1a scope? I saw Tom’s note above on the ac, ADA improvements and concessions. Is that the entirety of scope for that phase or was there additional? I am sure it is listed in the 300 plus pages but was hoping someone could quickly bullet it out perhaps more quickly. On a separate note. I don’t recall seeing it mentioned but did Carrier provide the AC for the dome? I look forward to taking my son and seeing the updates. I think that center hung new video scoreboard is going to immediately ”draw the eye” as you walk from the concourse into the seating.

So can someone just highlight all the phase 1a scope? I saw Tom’s note above on the ac, ADA improvements and concessions. Is that the entirety of scope for that phase or was there additional? I am sure it is listed in the 300 plus pages but was hoping someone could quickly bullet it out perhaps more quickly. On a separate note. I don’t recall seeing it mentioned but did Carrier provide the AC for the dome? I look forward to taking my son and seeing the updates. I think that center hung new video scoreboard is going to immediately ”draw the eye” as you walk from the concourse into the seating.
I have an employee that has classes in the dome. All he can talk about is how amazing the scoreboard is.

Yeah, I didn't think the Phase 2/3 was ever actually funded. The unforeseen pandemic obviously has pushed that fundraising campaign, etc. out even though the capital expenditures required have been in the think tank for years, as they typically are when it comes to capital improvements.

It would be interesting to know what the ball park type net revenue loss was from not having any fans for football and hoops this past season. No doubt it was missed, but in the entire realm of this project's overall scope, wish lists, etc., it's likely just a relatively small fraction. Since football and hoops were played, the TV revenue, which is the significantly larger portion of $$$, was still attained.

As I understand it, Phase 1 is the announced construction to be completed by September 2020. Essentially the new roof and scoreboard with some minor upgrades to concessions and rest rooms.

Phase 1A was to be completed by September 2022. Air conditioning, additional concession upgrades, new rest rooms and some other cosmetic dressing. At one time enhanced wifi was part of this phase, but not sure that made the cut. The majority of these enhancements were advanced when the Dome was essentialy shut down and will now be complete almost a full year early.

That is all that was funded and planned out. Everything else is a wish list. Definitely part of a long term plan but with no funding and concrete time frame.

Yeah, I didn't think the Phase 2/3 was ever actually funded. The unforeseen pandemic obviously has pushed that fundraising campaign, etc. out even though the capital expenditures required have been in the think tank for years, as they typically are when it comes to capital improvements.

It would be interesting to know what the ball park type net revenue loss was from not having any fans for football and hoops this past season. No doubt it was missed, but in the entire realm of this project's overall scope, wish lists, etc., it's likely just a relatively small fraction. Since football and hoops were played, the TV revenue, which is the significantly larger portion of $$$, was still attained.

Don't neglect the additional costs incurred through Covid protocols and intensive testing. The total bill for that is not insignificant.