the crane the crane | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

upperdeck

Living Legend
Last edited by a moderator:
so what exactly is the huge mongo crane doing day 2 day? i check in periodically and never see it moving anything. i see some kind of activity in the other corner but nothing in the near camera view.
I saw moving other crane pieces when I checked in yesterday, but agree with you that right now it appears to be sitting idle most of the time

I was wondering the same. Why are we playing the first two games on the road if they aren't doing any work using the crane. I thought that was the purpose. Maybe other things are happening we can't see.

I was wondering the same. Why are we playing the first two games on the road if they aren't doing any work using the crane. I thought that was the purpose. Maybe other things are happening we can't see.
I'd assume it's other things we can't see, like the steel x bracing that's been going up in the corners. I'd imagine there are other places that need to be reinforced as well before the steel ring goes up on top. I'm not an engineer though so who knows.

I'd assume it's other things we can't see, like the steel x bracing that's been going up in the corners. I'd imagine there are other places that need to be reinforced as well before the steel ring goes up on top. I'm not an engineer though so who knows.
It looks like they added something in the corners of the side of the Dome where X bracing was added, up on the concrete ring on top. Going to guess it is more reinforcement.

It would be great if the university would release a detailed schedule of what needs to be done, and how it will be done, so we can follow along as they go through the milestones of Phase 1 of the renovation.

Maybe they have. If so, I haven't stumbled across it.

You can’t see it on the web cam but there’s been a lot of work going on the past several days on the other side with the other crane. Tearing up blacktop and concrete, laying down rocks, assembling railroad ties on top of the rock and then getting the crane on top of the railroad ties. It sits a couple feet above ground level.

Apparently, if winds are above 38 miles per hour, the crane has to come down. If the crane has to come down, it will lay down right in front of the airlock. So hope for non-windy game days, or that will cause a mess.

You can’t see it on the web cam but there’s been a lot of work going on the past several days on the other side with the other crane. Tearing up blacktop and concrete, laying down rocks, assembling railroad ties on top of the rock and then getting the crane on top of the railroad ties. It sits a couple feet above ground level.
eggxactly, that's the crane my buddies running, the 600 ton one is putting together his newly arrived 800 ton one (with 67 18 wheelers of its own of parts, etc to put it together), youre right it's on the other side, where when done it will begin to assist the 1100 ton crane working in tandem with the pieces of metal. Don't think that will start til later this fall the actual roof pieces rather all the side wall stuff will be done first.

Could we possibly set up pregame bungee jumping from the top of the big crane , that would draw some interest.
Confirmed! You are first on the list. I scheduled your jump for 5 pm on Clemson game day. ABC will show your jump on live TV.

I would hold off on eating or drinking much before the jump and whatever you do, do not wear white pants.

Confirmed! You are first on the list. I scheduled your jump for 5 pm on Clemson game day. ABC will show your jump in live TV.

I would hold off on eating or drinking much before the jump and whatever you do, do not wear white pants.
I’m in, make sure they have the extra weight load bungee cord ready to go. Dcuse wants second, and let Cuseregular go third , he has been stressed out and this will relax him.

Has the steel arrived for the upper frame (aka roller coaster track)?

Apparently, if winds are above 38 miles per hour, the crane has to come down. If the crane has to come down, it will lay down right in front of the airlock. So hope for non-windy game days, or that will cause a mess.

How long does it take to bring it down?
That can't be a quick process.

Has the steel arrived for the upper frame (aka roller coaster track)?

Mostly no. But the corner above Gate E has a huge piece that will support the truss. I believe this is the first corner where this is installed so far.

Staging for the second crane looks to have taken up a lot of room on Hendricks Field this week. The crane itself was delivered this morning, the two treads are already there and so are a lot of boom pieces. Most of the Dome's perimeter is now inaccessible, including all of the north and west sides (there's no stairway access between Grant Auditorium and the Dome this week). Looks like there's a bit of work to do before they can host a game.

Mostly no. But the corner above Gate E has a huge piece that will support the truss. I believe this is the first corner where this is installed so far.

Staging for the second crane looks to have taken up a lot of room on Hendricks Field this week. The crane itself was delivered this morning, the two treads are already there and so are a lot of boom pieces. Most of the Dome's perimeter is now inaccessible, including all of the north and west sides (there's no stairway access between Grant Auditorium and the Dome this week). Looks like there's a bit of work to do before they can host a game.

465370FA-B640-49EB-A55D-ED4873AC5BB4.jpeg