the crane the crane | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Yes, I think that is going to be the first piece of the crown truss support going up. Major milestone for the project. Cool.

I wonder if the long white objects aligned on the sides of where the trucks are dropping off stuff for the crane to lift are also supporting columns?

Also, it looks like there are several trucks with pieces of crane lined up to be off loaded on Irving.

Ah, tilt that up about 15 feet and you could see the big piece of steel I was talking about. Directly above the column at far left, between the two X braces and above the ring.

7E40C5F3-2B17-4FF8-BCFA-0CDD3B38D34A.jpeg

69583799-1F9B-469B-B03D-22CB155A09D7.jpeg

Yes, I think that is going to be the first piece of the crown truss support going up. Major milestone for the project. Cool.

I wonder if the long white objects aligned on the sides of where the trucks are dropping off stuff for the crane to lift are also supporting columns?

Also, it looks like there are several trucks with pieces of crane lined up to be off loaded on Irving.
Am I blind, I can not find the truss members. We are not talking about the white pieces next to the 18wheeler right?

Ah, I guess it's just behind the ring from this angle. It's a big steel piece that sits atop the steel columns where the two x-braces meet.

I’ll try to get a pic from the top of the roof. Lol.

What purpose is all the wood?

4145B896-6550-42DB-BE90-BD740B58C248.jpeg

If you look at the live web cam right now, the big crane arm has been lowered. It angles down across the street. Pretty interesting.

If you look at the live web cam right now, the big crane arm has been lowered. It angles down across the street. Pretty interesting.
Wish i could see what it's grabbing. The tip of the crane is out of view. I bet the operator makes good money - and he should!

Ah, I guess it's just behind the ring from this angle. It's a big steel piece that sits atop the steel columns where the two x-braces meet.
I wonder if they're going to be installing those box/X braces around the whole perimeter - maybe to support a horizontal piece of steal on top? If so, wow.

I wonder if they're going to be installing those box/X braces around the whole perimeter - maybe to support a horizontal piece of steal on top? If so, wow.

I think just the corners, two braces on each. They support both horizontal and vertical pieces up top.

OK, the southeast and southwest corners now have the big steel piece I was talking about from the Gate E corner:
That would make sense as they had already placed the piece of steel and concrete reinforcement under the x bracing.
And the wood forms at the top of The Dome look like forms for concrete. I want to see how they pump concrete way up there. ;)

I want to see how they pump concrete way up there. ;)

The same way they pour on any hi-rise project.

There's a pump on the ground, and they run pipes up the side of the Dome to the roof. But they only have a limited time to pump each batch before it hardens.

The crane died. Was older than we thought and suffered from arthritis and scoliosis for years

The same way they pour on any hi-rise project.

There's a pump on the ground, and they run pipes up the side of the Dome to the roof. But they only have a limited time to pump each batch before it hardens.

They can also use a crane to lift large buckets of concrete.

Completely random thought but I remember when living in Sadler making that walk along the side of the Dome up by the law building. I specifically chose Sadler as a frosh because a) I’m a sports nerd who wanted to be near the Dome and b) it actually was one of the closer straight line walks to most of the buildings I needed. That being Said The walk to the quad looks much longer now. Would be frustrating to say the least if I was in a bubble and didn’t know when I chose the dorm.

That would make sense as they had already placed the piece of steel and concrete reinforcement under the x bracing.
And the wood forms at the top of The Dome look like forms for concrete. I want to see how they pump concrete way up there. ;)

Yep. And the wood is forms - they're filling in the holes in the ring that they cut earlier in the summer to run the steel through.

The second crane will likely be up today. As always, I have no idea to shrink my too-large photo...