the crane the crane | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Confirmed! You are first on the list. I scheduled your jump for 5 pm on Clemson game day. ABC will show your jump on live TV.

I would hold off on eating or drinking much before the jump and whatever you do, do not wear white pants.

white pants>blue shorts

Completely random thought but I remember when living in Sadler making that walk along the side of the Dome up by the law building. I specifically chose Sadler as a frosh because a) I’m a sports nerd who wanted to be near the Dome and b) it actually was one of the closer straight line walks to most of the buildings I needed. That being Said The walk to the quad looks much longer now. Would be frustrating to say the least if I was in a bubble and didn’t know when I chose the dorm.
Freshman don't get to choose their dorm anymore. My daughter is in Lawrinson, overlooking the site. She actually has an almost identical view as the camera. She's not thrilled because the work starts at 7:00 a.m.

Yep. And the wood is forms - they're filling in the holes in the ring that they cut earlier in the summer to run the steel through.

The second crane will likely be up today. As always, I have no idea to shrink my too-large photo...

Send the photo to me.

Freshman don't get to choose their dorm anymore. My daughter is in Lawrinson, overlooking the site. She actually has an almost identical view as the camera. She's not thrilled because the work starts at 7:00 a.m.

We didn’t choose per se but we did rank. They can’t rank preferences? Really? Wow.

I had good friends on law 20 but looking the other way

We didn’t choose per se but we did rank. They can’t rank preferences? Really? Wow.

I had good friends on law 20 but looking the other way
Same here. I had Sadler #1 and I got that. I just assumed it still worked that way, but they didn't have any ranking or selection process, as far as she would share with me.

Same here. I had Sadler #1 and I got that. I just assumed it still worked that way, but they didn't have any ranking or selection process, as far as she would share with me.

I suspect that they are probably doing this to ensure diversity. Still though, that sucks. I knew 100% I did not want B&B for example. And I specifically chose dorms with more split doubles bc i wanted no part of an open double.

OttoMets picture.

6A2952BE-4F1E-48C8-8245-71879D1D1AD3.jpeg

We got to rank too, but took the other route, did Day, Flint, and I dont remember the 3rd (I think Sadler), but I wanted to be on The Mount. In the late 80's and Early 90's no one wanted to be at Brewster Boland. I wonder what the preferences are today.

... In the late 80's and Early 90's no one wanted to be at Brewster Boland. I wonder what the preferences are today.

I don't know about today, but 17 years ago at my college I was assigned a roommate who'd just transferred from SU after one semester in part because he hated his soul-crushing living situation in BBB. The next year I became friends with another kid who'd transferred from SU, again after hating his BBB dorm experience.

Seems like a nice place to live!

Looks like they're lifting steel today!

Seems to be parts of a lower steel ring sitting on current outer ring of the Dome

Last edited:
there has been more action today with the large crane, (Walt), per tomcat and another large but much smaller crane right next to the large one. Both cranes are now facing the opposite way away from the camera. Could it be they are going to work on something tomorrow on that side of the Dome? I thought the Live Cam was going to stay pinned to the front page so we could easily click on it to see what is going on but now it's on page ten as the days move ahead. Is it possible an admin could re-pin it to the front page so we won't lose it?

Last edited:
Yes, I caught a segment when Walt picked up and put in place one of the one North Korean missile looking pieces of metal. Here is a screen capture just before it was lowered to the concrete outer ring, out by the northwest corner of the Dome (the corner closest to the old Law School).

If you click on it, you get a bigger image of the metal piece about to be lowered on the concrete outer ring...

1567713231778.png

Not 100% certain, but I think that's a small crane that is assembling the boom of the yellow crane on the opposite side. Pretty sure that all the steel installed so far has been horizontal pieces.

on the Live Cam shot there is a large flat bed, the cranes are now turned around and the smaller one, ( I guess the guys are finished for the day ,) ready to off load the large white steel pieces I don't know what they are but there are a lot of them. See pic.

What's with all of the BBB hate? Had one of the best dining halls outside of Shaw and was the most modern dorm before Ernie Davis was constructed.

Looking forward to seeing this next week.