the crane the crane | Page 289 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Screenshot (103).png

Crew is already working on the second layer at the "v" on the north side. Blue "tarp" going down. Looks like an all out push today on doing as much of the hard roof as they can.

Crew is already working on the second layer at the "v" on the north side. Blue "tarp" going down. Looks like an all out push today on doing as much of the hard roof as they can.
Yes, it looks like there are two crews out there now, working on putting down layer 2 on the north side of the roof.

They are making good progress. Probably will work from sun up to sun down. They are getting it down a lot faster than when they first started doing this.

Tomorrow looks like another lost day, at least as far as putting layer two down. Forecast calls for rain most of the day. So they have to take advantage of the nice weather today as much as they can.

The long term forecast looks good. Maybe a little rain in the middle of the week but nothing like yesterday or tomorrow.

With the awful weather yesterday, most of the SW gap remains uncovered. It would be great if they could finish the hard shell layer one today, before the heavy rains coming tomorrow. I think it is very unlikely. They just haven't gone fast in this corner putting layer one down.

Now, the crew that put layer one down on the north and east sides made great time. They will presumably now focus on the SW corner. If they work at the rate they worked at elsewhere, maybe they can get done today. I still think Sunday will be the day that part gets completed.

I think they are in the process of moving the crane that was in the NW corner to the east side of the building. It can then help finish things off on that side.

Here is a screen capture of one of the crane pieces getting moved over there:

082820.jpg

As an aside, the view from Lawrinson that we have all grown accustomed to seeing is kind of deceiving. Because that camera is 20 floors up from ground level, well above the top of roof and even the crown truss, you get a nice perspective but it is not the view you will see when you are on campus at the ground level.

Even the red tailed hawk camera perspective, shown above, is located on top of a building and does not show you how the roof will look when to approach the dome on foot.

It is going to be very hard to see the PTFE section of the roof from the ground. You can see it from Mount Olympus and maybe up on the top of the drumlin at Thornden Park. Maybe up at Woodland Reservoir near Corcoran, or up near the practice green at Pompey Golf Club.

But from almost everywhere, you are only going to be able to see the hard shell part of the roof. You can tell this by looking at the red tailed hawk images. So if you have angina about the bumpy look of the PTFE section of the roof and don't like the arcs much, I wouldn't worry about it much.

Last edited:
Yikes, beware all OCDers. Looks like they are putting the first layer down on the top section of the new part of the southwest side. NOT the top part that's been incomplete for weeks!

Yikes, beware all OCDers. Looks like they are putting the first layer down on the top section of the new part of the southwest side. NOT the top part that's been incomplete for weeks!
I hope at some time in my life, probably a date far in the future, that someone will tell the story of why that one section remained uncovered for some long. Maybe it has been left open in a misguided effort to allow craniacs to continue to look inside the dome as long as possible?

If so, it is silly, since you can't see anything through that little space anyway. But if that was the reason why, thanks for trying everyone.

I think the top section was left undone for safety reasons. They had to lay steel in the section next to it and it might be a transition issue between the two top sections.

I think the top section was left undone for safety reasons. They had to lay steel in the section next to it and it might be a transition issue between the two top sections.
Could be. But that would be a problem for just about every section, wouldn't it?

I think there is something special about this section. Could be the steel is wrong. Maybe they are leaving it open because they need access to this section to get the connections for the center hung scoreboard in place. No big deal.

The crew putting layer 2 up on the north side is killing it this morning. The red tailed hawk camera switched over to the nest for a minute to see if the hawks were back and then went back to the dome. I like the hawks but hoping they will stay away for another week or two. Right now, that camera is providing the best looks at the roof install we have had since the start of the project.

Could be. But that would be a problem for just about every section, wouldn't it?

I think there is something special about this section. Could be the steel is wrong. Maybe they are leaving it open because they need access to this section to get the connections for the center hung scoreboard in place. No big deal.

The crew putting layer 2 up on the north side is killing it this morning. The red tailed hawk camera switched over to the nest for a minute to see if the hawks were back and then went back to the dome. I like the hawks but hoping they will stay away for another week or two. Right now, that camera is providing the best looks at the roof install we have had since the start of the project.
Maybe like most of my projects they ran out of material, and someone doesn't feel like making the 50th trip to Home Depot.

Maybe like most of my projects they ran out of material, and someone doesn't feel like making the 50th trip to Home Depot.
With materials being tough to get, I think we've been lucky. We've all seen the empty lumber aisles at home centers, and increased costs. I've got shingle trucks out until October, vinyl siding is out 8 weeks from the largest vinyl producer in North America, and most vinyl window companies are anywhere from 3-8 weeks out. The fact that these guys have all this TPO (presumed) says good planning, and perhaps our job took precedence over other orders.

if you look at the hawk cam you see that same dip on the north side dont you? right where the blue meets the grey?

Looks like there is the blue netting under most of the hoops now. They have to basically be ready to go for the PFTE.

I wondered why it was layed flat this morning. Thought there might be a problem with it, but it doesn't look like it now.

I wondered why it was layed flat this morning. Thought there might be a problem with it, but it doesn't look like it now.
I didn't expect this. There is still a lot of material needed to put up layer 2 that needs to be loaded in the SW corner. I think they are going to need a crane in this area to get the hard shell done.

I think they have all the kits needed to finish layer 1 in place on the steel here, so a crane will not be needed immediately. But one will be needed here pretty quickly.

The workers continue to fly through the installation of layer 2 on the north side of the building. They are killing it today. Very impressive.

082820a.jpg

With materials being tough to get, I think we've been lucky. We've all seen the empty lumber aisles at home centers, and increased costs. I've got shingle trucks out until October, vinyl siding is out 8 weeks from the largest vinyl producer in North America, and most vinyl window companies are anywhere from 3-8 weeks out. The fact that these guys have all this TPO (presumed) says good planning, and perhaps our job took precedence over other orders.
Didn't all the parts come in a package from IKEA? Some assembly required.