the crane the crane | Page 295 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

Screenshot (23).png

I know I’m beating a dead horse about the noise. But if they are indeed added insulation under the non-PTFE I just can’t imagine how the dome will be even close to as loud. Insulation kills noise. I was hoping that would be metal underneath the non-ptfe section to reverberate the sound. I personally don’t care about the acoustics in the dome for concerts and such, I care about a home field advantage and I’m worried we are losing that.
The noise in the Dome is an effect of sound reflection. Normally something like exposed insulation would reduce or eliminate that, but if the underside is still a hard or reflective surface, it should take the acoustic impact of the insulation out of play.

The noise in the Dome is an effect of sound reflection. Normally something like exposed insulation would reduce or eliminate that, but if the underside is still a hard or reflective surface, it should take the acoustic impact of the insulation out of play.
I pray we were not foolish enough to install a ceiling designed to make the dome quieter than it was with the old roof. The Geiger interior drawing showed what looked like a fabric cover over the interior of the roof. I am hoping that part of the drawing is accurate and that the fabric does a good job reflecting sound.

If they are installing a fabric covering, I could see where it would be installed relatively late, after the PTFE section of the roof has been installed and the building is water tight. It would not be good to get stains on the fabric before the building even opened.

Morning update:

Great weather is forecast for today. Should be ideal for installing layer 2. As others have mentioned, a crew is installing a massive amount of layer 2 right now. There are 6 full sized sections being worked on simultaneously, which I believe is a record.

They are working on the SW corner, heading south and east. It looks like they have abandoned efforts to move from the SE corner to the south for now, with all hands on deck to work to the east.

So far no movement with the wooden boxes on the top of the hard shell roof on the east side that are suspected of holding PTFE material. Maybe the same people who install the layer 2 will install the PTFE and until layer 2 is done, there will be no installation of PTFE? Not sure.

at this rate they will have that SW corner ready for the final white by lunch.

I swear there's a dip in the framework just below the bottom right of your blue square.
Same apparent dip on both sides. 2nd row of arches in, right? It's been bothering me for weeks looking at it from the construction webcam. I was thinking it was just some sort of weird optical illusion but am glad to know a lot of others have seen this too.

Weather after some rain tomorrow seems to be really good for the next week for finishing the roof. Figure two to three days, lifting and securing new scoreboard(could be tricky) one to two days, relaying down field turf two days, and then details unknown. I think it is going to be on deadline given no glitches.

Same apparent dip on both sides. 2nd row of arches in, right? It's been bothering me for weeks looking at it from the construction webcam. I was thinking it was just some sort of weird optical illusion but am glad to know a lot of others have seen this too.
I’m going with the optical illusion theory given the vantage point of the cameras and the V shape of the supporting structure. I am sure they have sophisticated devices to check alignment & position and if wrong would have corrected by now. But then again I’m no engineer!

I’m going with the optical illusion theory given the vantage point of the cameras and the V shape of the supporting structure. I am sure they have sophisticated devices to check alignment & position and if wrong would have corrected by now. But then again I’m no engineer!
They Aren't wrong.

They Aren't wrong.
I don't doubt they aren't wrong either but I now think there is a dip and it is intentional. Probably to help drain runoff from the PFTE segment. Why do I say this? In the attached image, note the angles of the crossbeams where the 2nd row of arches connect to the dome. The angle is harder to detect on the middle corner (and corresponding corner that is not in the image) or possibly not present on those 2 corners. That is the only place they do not run parallel and it is consistent in every corner. My guess is that there are 2 more like this on the 4th corner of the roof we cannot see.

Or, as stated earlier, the panoramic image is making the view wonky...
Or, I need to get my eyes checked...
domedip.gif

https://syracusefan.com/attachments/3e13df37-03be-45de-8eb0-1175df72d1d3-jpeg.187210/

Last edited:
I don't doubt they aren't wrong either but I now think there is a dip and it is intentional. Probably to help drain runoff from the PFTE segment. Why do I say this? In the attached image, note the angles of the crossbeams where the 2nd row of arches connect to the dome. The angle is harder to detect on the middle corner (and corresponding corner that is not in the image) or possibly not present on those 2 corners. That is the only place they do not run parallel and it is consistent in every corner. My guess is that there are 2 more like this on the 4th corner of the roof we cannot see.

View attachment 187254

https://syracusefan.com/attachments/3e13df37-03be-45de-8eb0-1175df72d1d3-jpeg.187210/

I have noticed the dip as well and thought that is slack for when the install the PFTE segment that will be pulled into place at the end.

My simple question is will it look cool from the inside when it's all said and done or will it be underwhelming, but the scoreboard and lights make up for it?

View attachment 187254

Biggest dips leads right to the corner of the structure. If you want snow and rain to flow a certain way, I'd pick the corners. Our snow storms prob keep engineers up a bit late

I pray we were not foolish enough to install a ceiling designed to make the dome quieter than it was with the old roof. The Geiger interior drawing showed what looked like a fabric cover over the interior of the roof. I am hoping that part of the drawing is accurate and that the fabric does a good job reflecting sound.
If they are installing a fabric covering, I could see where it would be installed relatively late, after the PTFE section of the roof has been installed and the building is water tight. It would not be good to get stains on the fabric before the building even opened.

Wouldn't high sound reflection negatively impact other events that could be held in the Dome? I wonder if the Administration considers this as important? Or are sporting events and having a loud/reflective venue take precedence? Just being curious.

Wouldn't high sound reflection negatively impact other events that could be held in the Dome? I wonder if the Administration considers this as important? Or are sporting events and having a loud/reflective venue take precedence? Just being curious.
The reason the dome exists is to host sporting events. As a fan, I care far more that the dome is loud than for good acoustics. Bad acoustics help drown out Mr Excitement, which I think is a good thing.

In a perfect world, the fabric that reflects sound could be temporarily removed for concerts.

still cranking at 630, thats a solid day
Lots of progress. Gotta figure that they'll finish the current roofing strip on the SW corner before they call it a day. The SW corner should be completed by tomorrow. Hopefully some work on Saturday to attack the SE corner.

Once the roof gets done, what is left?
Scoreboard, probably a crapload of lighting...
What other big jobs remain?