the crane the crane | Page 303 | Syracusefan.com

the crane the crane

That's an electromagnetic pulse transmitter. It will be aimed at the opposing team bench. When it is triggered, it emits an emp at the frequency of the lower intestine, which results in a loss of bowel control.
Otherwise known as the Odell Beckham Beam.

Coils do nothing by themselves, assuming they are using a chilled water system the water must be cooled in industrial chillers. Are they using existing chillers from the steam plant? If so they will lose quite a bit of efficiency in piping to the dome, but it may have been what they are doing. Even so I can not imagine they had enough existing capacity to AC the dome without adding chillers.
Yes. They are using the existing Chiller. Need to upgrade it to a larger system.

Definitely not. Hard shell is essentially finished. PTFE section is getting close to 25% done. Looks like we are looking at another week or so to get the building water tight.
Thx Tom.

Rhapsody in blue

BA0B8ED9-6AFE-400E-A38F-C7319922EA3C.jpeg
072A02AE-128D-4A5B-AF72-FC0B58856862.jpeg
C7AEDD74-A1DC-4DA2-BD17-C7BEA43D649A.jpeg
0F5DF0A1-13E8-4D28-A22D-F1092D07B0C1.jpeg

Morning update:

Not much going on this morning.
The red chimney cam is still streaming the red chimney and it still hasn't moved.

They added a white covering to the pipes for the chilled water that go into the dome near Gate B. I assume it is insulation.

It looks like they might have been adding lights to the western side of the dome, maybe for basketball. A crew worked on that for a long time last night. I think that side of the stadium will have some extra lights installed specifically for hoops.

Also saw part of a crane being brought into the building. There are still cranes on the dome floor now. When we see them all start to leave, I think we have a good idea they are getting ready to work on the floor.

It is a beautiful day. Sunny, not much wind. So far no signs of a big crew on the roof trying to make great progress. There are a few people. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.

makes it more interesting they do it striped like that.. that would mean they dont worry about walking around on parts of it to install the middle pieces.

Cool picture.

Note that the bright green insulation gets covered up by the PTFE material.
This explains why it is so hard to see some of the rows while others can be seen plain as day.

And why none can be seen from Lawrinson, which stands in the background to the right.

I think they are disconnecting one side of the blue net, letting the netting flip sides and connecting it to an adjacent row. Some have been done after the PTFE was completed, which is why the pattern of blue squares is disjointed.

I think color of the PTFE material Is already stating to fade, though that could just be the light.

15.5 done. Yay!

Think about what is being done here for $109M. Then compare to BC Place (much more costly roof, leaks, oil dripping) and the Rams one ($5B total). Sala and SU have worked a miracle.

With all due respect, attempting to make any comparison between this Dome renovation and LA's new SoFi Stadium is literally night and day. Last night I watched that 2 hour episode I mentioned yesterday (post# 7544) that was set to air on the Science Channel. Well, frankly, it was simply mind-blowing, and I don't mean the cost, but the amazing engineering, etc. that went into this project.

From commencement (excavation from grade to 100 ft. below grade in establishing an earthquake resistant structure and ultimately low profile) to its self-contained and structurally reinforced totally separate from the bowl roofing structure (another amazing earthquake resistant engineering structure). The retractable roof with its own separate LED lighting to light the entire roof, both when closed and when it's open by inserting a layer of LED's to span the open areas of the roof. Talk about a birdseye view! All that steel framing that encompasses the aluminum jigsaw puzzle-esque facade/finished exterior. Really the entire structure is just out of this world, it truly is.

Then there's all of those astonishing amenities...from the unreal massive dual sided 360' 4K Oculus scoreboard to two separate sprawling locker rooms for each the Rams and the Chargers so that they never have to share one...again, just crazy! The list goes on and on...and on!

Last edited:
With all due respect, attempting to make any comparison between this Dome renovation and LA's new SoFi Stadium is literally night and day. Last night I watched that 2 hour episode I mentioned yesterday (post# 7544) that was set to air on the Science Channel. Well, frankly, it was simply mind-blowing, and I don't mean the cost, but the amazing engineering, etc. that went into this project.

From commencement (excavation from grade to 100 ft. below grade in establishing an earthquake resistant structure and ultimately low profile) to its self-contained and structurally reinforced totally separate from the bowl roofing structure (another amazing earthquake resistant engineering structure). The retractable roof with its own separate LED lighting to light the entire roof, both when closed and when it's open by inserting a layer of LED's to span the open areas of the roof. Talk about a birdseye view! All that steel framing that encompasses the aluminum jigsaw puzzle-esque facade/finished exterior. Really the entire structure is just out of this world, it truly is.

Then there's all of those astonishing amenities...from the unreal massive dual sided 360' 4K Oculus scoreboard to two separate sprawling locker rooms for each the Rams and the Chargers so that they never have to share one...again, just crazy! The list goes on and on...and on!
The way you describe it almost makes it a sports bucket list visit before I am 6ft under.

Morning update:

Not much going on this morning.
The red chimney cam is still streaming the red chimney and it still hasn't moved.

They added a white covering to the pipes for the chilled water that go into the dome near Gate B. I assume it is insulation.

It looks like they might have been adding lights to the western side of the dome, maybe for basketball. A crew worked on that for a long time last night. I think that side of the stadium will have some extra lights installed specifically for hoops.

Also saw part of a crane being brought into the building. There are still cranes on the dome floor now. When we see them all start to leave, I think we have a good idea they are getting ready to work on the floor.

It is a beautiful day. Sunny, not much wind. So far no signs of a big crew on the roof trying to make great progress. There are a few people. Things that make you go hmmmmmm.
All of the exterior cranes are now gone. (NE in process of disassembly.)