The damage is already done regardless of staying or going | Syracusefan.com

The damage is already done regardless of staying or going

kcsu

Living Legend
HCDM/Syracuse/dream job =BS if in fact he goes through with the interviews. Simply put you do not interview for a job in the NFL just for the heck of it. You only interview if in fact you want the job. This is black and white. If he interviews regardless of the outcome his schtick about Syracuse just flew out the door. Gone, tarnished, shot. This is why i have always been about the program. Coaches come and go but programs and institutions remain. Syracuse will always sell itself as long as it has a good Shepard at the helm. I hope that Doug sticks around for a long time not because i worship or even really care for Doug but because i believe he is good for the program. If he does leave and it is obvious that he wants to based on his desire to try and obtain another job than i hope that Doc hires from within and keeps this staff intact as i believe that is his best move for the good of the progam.

This is not directed at you KCSU, but anyone who believed in that whole "DREAM JOB" thing was a little naive to begin with in my opinion.

You are correct if this really is his "DREAM JOB" then you don't interview! This news doesn't surprise me because I never believed he would turn down an NFL job or a bigger college job to stay at Syracuse. I mean its common sense.

Completely disagree. I coached high school basketball for a number of years until my son was born, I can tell you that 15-18 year old males in the north care much more about the NFL then college. If you want kids to know about you college you have to get mentioned in NFL discussion. SU will have multiple players drafted and their coach is showing up on the NFL radar, this gets peoples attention and reminds them SU is relevant.

People take a "Dream Job" all the time, it doesn't necessarily mean that the job turned out to be everything they thought it would. I'm sure HCDM was estatic to come here. Maybe it wasn't what he thought it would be.

This is not directed at you KCSU, but anyone who believed in that whole "DREAM JOB" thing was a little naive to begin with in my opinion.

You are correct if this really is his "DREAM JOB" then you don't interview! This news doesn't surprise me because I never believed he would turn down an NFL job or a bigger college job to stay at Syracuse. I mean its common sense.
I believe that Doug loves Syracuse but i never for one second having spent sometime with him believed that he wouldnt leave for the NFL. There are also some pretty interesting dynamics in place on the Hill with Floyd and Doc and than you have Nancy leaving. If Doug had signed a long term contract with Syracuse and if he were truly satisfied he would not be interviewing or he is a complete hypocrite. What does Doug tell recruits keep looking around take your time make sure that you want to come to Syracuse but once you commit dont waiver dont change your mind. If in fact he does go through with these interview it tells me one of two things. A he hasnt actually signed a long term deal with Syracuse. B he is full of .

There is also a difference between "DREAM JOB" and your "FINAL JOB".

Just because you take your "DREAM JOB" doesn't mean you will retire on that job and stay there forever. SU was his Dream Job, he did it. Now its time to move on maybe

If we packed the dome 50000 every game no matter what he'd be fine, but since we live in a bandwagon town gotta win consistently first.

If we packed the dome 50000 every game no matter what he'd be fine, but since we live in a bandwagon town gotta win consistently first.
The blind loyalty to Doug is really something to behold. If he had put a decent product on the field we might have had a few fans in the stands. For gosh sake we just finished a good year with most of those good wins on the road and in the second half of the season. Also Doug would not be fine if we had 75000 fans in the stands every game if in fact his true dream job is in the NFL

First of all, "Dream Job" doesn't necessarily mean "The only job I will ever want in my life". I've had "dream jobs", myself and once I got in them, I developed a new dream.

Secondly, turning down a request for an interview is not something you want to do a lot of. It's a courtesy thing. Turn down too many interviews and you might never get another chance. The NFL is a business run by a few people with outsized egos. It's probably smart not to piss them off by declining to even listen to what they have to say / offer.

Thirdly, we are talking about huge differences in pay here between the SU job and an NFL job. This is life-changing money we are talking about here.

How many of you would refuse to interview for a job that would double your salary? If you wouldn't turn it down, then why should HCDM?

Finally, seems like we have some "Drama Queens" or "Drama Kings" on here. HCDM's resume at this point in time is pretty thin. Let's just relax and see what happens. Having your HC considered for an NFL job is not a bad thing. (I can just hear the whining if DM was never considered with the usual suspects whining that DM isn't any good because no one wants to consider him for an NFL HC job.

Actually what turns Doug off is the fan base kc... He didn't realize how hard of a sell it was going to be. Granted we need to win more.

Actually what turns Doug off is the fan base kc... He didn't realize how hard of a sell it was going to be. Granted we need to win more.
I think Doug has done a great job and really, really hope he stays but what was he expecting? We won 2 Pinstripe Bowls in 4 years and in a year that could have created a ton of momentum we played like hot garbage in our home games (last year), then this year we start 2-4 with a team built on discipline, that showed no on the field discipline. The fans will show up...if you give them something to show up for. If he leaves for the NFL, I guess he will never experience what Syracuse football is like when you actually put a watchable product on the field with some positive momentum behind it.

Exactly, I think we'll see a mostly filled dome next year with fresh opponents and a legit buzz after winning 6 out of 7. Regardless ill be there like always believing in my team.

I believe that Doug loves Syracuse but i never for one second having spent sometime with him believed that he wouldnt leave for the NFL. There are also some pretty interesting dynamics in place on the Hill with Floyd and Doc and than you have Nancy leaving. If Doug had signed a long term contract with Syracuse and if he were truly satisfied he would not be interviewing or he is a complete hypocrite. What does Doug tell recruits keep looking around take your time make sure that you want to come to Syracuse but once you commit dont waiver dont change your mind. If in fact he does go through with these interview it tells me one of two things. A he hasnt actually signed a long term deal with Syracuse. B he is full of ****.

For someone who's never been a supporter there seems to be outsized outrage here.

The blind loyalty to Doug is really something to behold. If he had put a decent product on the field we might have had a few fans in the stands. For gosh sake we just finished a good year with most of those good wins on the road and in the second half of the season. Also Doug would not be fine if we had 75000 fans in the stands every game if in fact his true dream job is in the NFL

Yep those Uconn and Lville performances sucked. And Nwestern was a bore fest. And let's not forget they beat Pitt here. 4-1 and the 1 was 42-41 that went down to the last minute.

Clown.

Im not sure that i buy that. I think that Doug is actually more human than many on this board believe. Sure SU is his dream job until a better one comes along. It made me laugh when many would post that he was different and that regardless of whatever happened his was always going to be Orange and Blue. Anyone who know the situation knew that was baloney. Sorry couldnt help myself. Anyway Doug does love Syracuse and im sure that we were his dream job. The fact that he is interviewing tells me that his dreams have been changed forever. I hope for Doug and for anyone for that matter that their dreams come true. If he really wants a job in the NFL good for him and good luck to him.

I think Doug has done a great job and really, really hope he stays but what was he expecting? We won 2 Pinstripe Bowls in 4 years and in a year that could have created a ton of momentum we played like hot garbage in our home games (last year), then this year we start 2-4 with a team built on discipline, that showed no on the field discipline. The fans will show up...if you give them something to show up for. If he leaves for the NFL, I guess he will never experience what Syracuse football is like when you actually put a watchable product on the field with some positive momentum behind it.

Not watchable, they came out of the game with a very exciting product.

Unreal.

Not watchable, they came out of the game with a very exciting product.

Unreal.
What part of my post did you not understand? LAST YEAR, when we had a chance to capitalize on our first bowl game win in forever we completely the bed. This year we started 2-4, then played freakin awesome. Not debating that whatsoever. Now next year we have another chance, going into the ACC, off a big bowl win to bring in some serious crowds...a chance we squandered last year when we lost pretty much every home game and didn't go to a bowl.

For someone who's never been a supporter there seems to be outsized outrage here.
Go hope you had a great Christmas and enjoyed the game. I have been waiting for you to show up on this post. Tell me what do you think of this situation. Also how the heck did we beat LV. Missu, and WVU with our poor talent? Back to Doug do you feel betrayed? Ok enough with the kidding time for serious question. When Doug takes the Cleveland job what part of the city are you guys moving to?

First of all, "Dream Job" doesn't necessarily mean "The only job I will ever want in my life". I've had "dream jobs", myself and once I got in them, I developed a new dream.

Secondly, turning down a request for an interview is not something you want to do a lot of. It's a courtesy thing. Turn down too many interviews and you might never get another chance. The NFL is a business run by a few people with outsized egos. It's probably smart not to piss them off by declining to even listen to what they have to say / offer.

Thirdly, we are talking about huge differences in pay here between the SU job and an NFL job. This is life-changing money we are talking about here.

How many of you would refuse to interview for a job that would double your salary? If you wouldn't turn it down, then why should HCDM?

Finally, seems like we have some "Drama Queens" or "Drama Kings" on here. HCDM's resume at this point in time is pretty thin. Let's just relax and see what happens. Having your HC considered for an NFL job is not a bad thing. (I can just hear the whining if DM was never considered with the usual suspects whining that DM isn't any good because no one wants to consider him for an NFL HC job.

You nailed it from all angles!

One word leverage, this happens all the time in corporate America

Truer words were never spoken.

When they want you in a job and you have a plausible alternative all of a sudden all the salary guidelines and rules are thrown out the window.

Most people are never able to get their head around the essential unfairness of corporate compensation and the role of leverage. Of course, in order for leverage to work you have to have an alternative and being willing to take it.

I had a friend who was leaving the large corporation we both worked for. He was offered two jobs with comparable salaries and chose one because he liked the people and the location better. The spurned organization --- seeing this guy in a new light and sensing a competition for his services --- tried to change his mind with a series of ever-increasing improvements in the salary.

He finally turned them down flat. When I asked him why, his logic was, "Anyone who is willing to pay me that much to do that job is stupid. And I don't want to work for anyone that is stupid."

The same Personnel / Compensation weenies that were upping this offer to the stratosphere are the ones that were telling current employees that the raises in any year couldn't be above 2% or some such nonsense.

What part of my post did you not understand? LAST YEAR, when we had a chance to capitalize on our first bowl game win in forever we completely the bed. This year we started 2-4, then played freakin awesome. Not debating that whatsoever. Now next year we have another chance, going into the ACC, off a big bowl win to bring in some serious crowds...a chance we squandered last year when we lost pretty much every home game and didn't go to a bowl.
What part? I guess we can start with the implication that the football team did not provide a 'watchable' product this year. Enlighten us as to what would have been 'watchable' - an appearance in the NC game and nothing else? Unless you're Alabama, you're not going to be there every year. Did it take some time to get to where we are? Sure. It was a monumental task. But to imply it was unwatchable? To quote Go - unreal.

Go hope you had a great Christmas and enjoyed the game. I have been waiting for you to show up on this post. Tell me what do you think of this situation. Also how the heck did we beat LV. Missu, and WVU with our poor talent? Back to Doug do you feel betrayed? Ok enough with the kidding time for serious question. When Doug takes the Cleveland job what part of the city are you guys moving to?

Poor talent, What are you talking about?

Betrayed, not at all. Not surprised either.

And the reason I thought he was the guy for the job months before Robinson got canned is that I figured he was the best guy to resurrect the program. You needed a Syracuse guy who would be emotionally invested to sell what didn't exist, which was a viable program. That's it.

If he moves on hire the guy best positioned to build on the foundation that has been built the last four years.

Good coaches at good programs interview for other jobs and somehow they can still recruit. Aye yi yi.

I want coaches that are good enough for other teams to want.