The damage is already done regardless of staying or going | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The damage is already done regardless of staying or going

Sometimes the "dream job" doesn't live up to the dream. I got my dream job for a well known video game company out in Cali. I started as an intern and got hired, but then I realized that the dream was clouded with all kinds of politics and bs that made me question the dream and overall direction of the company. I miss the culture of that job, but don't regret leaving it.

Now that we know that HCDM is facing all these obstacles to make us competitive. I can't blame him for exploring his options. We brought him in to do a job, he has done the job, and earned the respect of everyone to listen to what he needs to do, to continue to do that job. If they won't listen, hey, he needs to do what's best for him.

Truer words were never spoken.

When they want you in a job and you have a plausible alternative all of a sudden all the salary guidelines and rules are thrown out the window.

Most people are never able to get their head around the essential unfairness of corporate compensation and the role of leverage. Of course, in order for leverage to work you have to have an alternative and being willing to take it.

I had a friend who was leaving the large corporation we both worked for. He was offered two jobs with comparable salaries and chose one because he liked the people and the location better. The spurned organization --- seeing this guy in a new light and sensing a competition for his services --- tried to change his mind with a series of ever-increasing improvements in the salary.

He finally turned them down flat. When I asked him why, his logic was, "Anyone who is willing to pay me that much to do that job is stupid. And I don't want to work for anyone that is stupid."

The same Personnel / Compensation weenies that were upping this offer to the stratosphere are the ones that were telling current employees that the raises in any year couldn't be above 2% or some such nonsense.

And to your point these teams are corporations who are in business to make money. Some of you need to look at it from the hiring entities perspective.
Why are they exploring the possibility of hiring a College HC?
Could it be because they think they can get him "cheaper" then someone who actually has more NFL experience?

Can they use interviewing Marrone as a bargaining tool, leverage, for paying another candidate less?
The old, "We really like you but we can get him for less".
It's one big game of Chicken going on right now.

HCDM/Syracuse/dream job =BS if in fact he goes through with the interviews. Simply put you do not interview for a job in the NFL just for the heck of it. You only interview if in fact you want the job. This is black and white. If he interviews regardless of the outcome his schtick about Syracuse just flew out the door. Gone, tarnished, shot. This is why i have always been about the program. Coaches come and go but programs and institutions remain. Syracuse will always sell itself as long as it has a good Shepard at the helm. I hope that Doug sticks around for a long time not because i worship or even really care for Doug but because i believe he is good for the program. If he does leave and it is obvious that he wants to based on his desire to try and obtain another job than i hope that Doc hires from within and keeps this staff intact as i believe that is his best move for the good of the progam.
If it's true that the BOT doesn't want to invest in facilities or pay DM a salary comparable to Strong, as stated in another thread, then I disagree. He shouldn't let his superiors crap on him just because it's his dream job. If the BOT is going to hamstring him despite his commitment to turn the program around, he should leave. He should go somewhere he'll get the tools he needs to do his job.

One word leverage, this happens all the time in corporate America

Yes. Bargaining chip

. leverage - strategic advantage; power to act effectively; "relatively small groups can sometimes exert immense political leverage"
advantage, vantage - the quality of having a superior or more favorable position; "the experience gave him the advantage over me"

bargaining chip - leverage in the form of an inducement or a concession useful in successful negotiations

Folks - let's welcome back kcsu. He was gone for awhile, some positive guy was writing his posts but don't fret. He's back with a vengeance.

First of all, "Dream Job" doesn't necessarily mean "The only job I will ever want in my life". I've had "dream jobs", myself and once I got in them, I developed a new dream.

Secondly, turning down a request for an interview is not something you want to do a lot of. It's a courtesy thing. Turn down too many interviews and you might never get another chance. The NFL is a business run by a few people with outsized egos. It's probably smart not to piss them off by declining to even listen to what they have to say / offer.

Thirdly, we are talking about huge differences in pay here between the SU job and an NFL job. This is life-changing money we are talking about here.

How many of you would refuse to interview for a job that would double your salary? If you wouldn't turn it down, then why should HCDM?

Finally, seems like we have some "Drama Queens" or "Drama Kings" on here. HCDM's resume at this point in time is pretty thin. Let's just relax and see what happens. Having your HC considered for an NFL job is not a bad thing. (I can just hear the whining if DM was never considered with the usual suspects whining that DM isn't any good because no one wants to consider him for an NFL HC job.

Two things.

First, he would triple or quadruple his salary.

Second, his resume hardly thin- OC for NO Saints?

GMs were looking at him four years ago.

HCDM/Syracuse/dream job =BS if in fact he goes through with the interviews. Simply put you do not interview for a job in the NFL just for the heck of it. You only interview if in fact you want the job. This is black and white. If he interviews regardless of the outcome his schtick about Syracuse just flew out the door. Gone, tarnished, shot. This is why i have always been about the program. Coaches come and go but programs and institutions remain. Syracuse will always sell itself as long as it has a good Shepard at the helm. I hope that Doug sticks around for a long time not because i worship or even really care for Doug but because i believe he is good for the program. If he does leave and it is obvious that he wants to based on his desire to try and obtain another job than i hope that Doc hires from within and keeps this staff intact as i believe that is his best move for the good of the progam.

Loyalty is a two way street, and it doesn't mean you sign up for career suicide or a miserable personal experience.

And if someone requests an interview, you listen, he's not chasing jobs and requesting interviews. He's not obligated to take an offer if he doesn't think it's the right fit.

If TGD wants to keep him...he says, "We'll match any offer." That is how you keep a coach. See--->Louisville AD.

What part? I guess we can start with the implication that the football team did not provide a 'watchable' product this year. Enlighten us as to what would have been 'watchable' - an appearance in the NC game and nothing else? Unless you're Alabama, you're not going to be there every year. Did it take some time to get to where we are? Sure. It was a monumental task. But to imply it was unwatchable? To quote Go - unreal.
What part? I guess we can start with the implication that the football team did not provide a 'watchable' product this year. Enlighten us as to what would have been 'watchable' - an appearance in the NC game and nothing else? Unless you're Alabama, you're not going to be there every year. Did it take some time to get to where we are? Sure. It was a monumental task. But to imply it was unwatchable? To quote Go - unreal.
Umm by last year I mean the year we lost all our home games to end the season and missed a bowl... I don't get what your point of contention is? This year was great, we started off 2-4 but had an awesome finish and I hope DM stays.

If TGD wants to keep him...he says, "We'll match any offer." That is how you keep a coach. See--->Louisville AD.
Agreed...except L'ville athletic department has far deeper pockets than we do.

DM has said on more than one occasion that it's not about the money. I honestly believe this is mostly about facility upgrades.

Two things.

First, he would triple or quadruple his salary.

Second, his resume hardly thin- OC for NO Saints?

GMs were looking at him four years ago.

I don't mind a little knit-picking.

1. Whether its 2x, 3x or 4x his current salary, I'm sure you'll agree that the operative point is still the same. Its a lot of additional money. Some SU fans think he ought not to let the almighty dollar trump loyalty to his alma mater. That's until they start to think about their own retirement funds and the costs of college tuitions.

2. His "Head" coaching resume is "thin". Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen.

3. GMs look at just about everyone.

I don't mind a little knit-picking.

1. Whether its 2x, 3x or 4x his current salary, I'm sure you'll agree that the operative point is still the same. Its a lot of additional money. Some SU fans think he ought not to let the almighty dollar trump loyalty to his alma mater. That's until they start to think about their own retirement funds and the costs of college tuitions.

2. His "Head" coaching resume is "thin". Assistant coaches are a dime a dozen.

3. GMs look at just about everyone.

Money is very important.

NFL coordinators are prime candidates for NFL HC positions and most do not have HC experience. See Sean Payton, Joe Philbin, et al