The Day Calvin Dropped 68 on Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The Day Calvin Dropped 68 on Syracuse

I was a freshman at SU when Calvin was a freshman at Niagara and in those days there was a freshman team. That year my fraternity brother Frank Hamblen guarded Calvin when they played at Manley and he always bragged that his most memorable moment at a SU as a basketball player was when he held Calvin to 52 points. Bob Kouwe and John Suder were also fraternity brothers and Hambone would tease them that he was a better defender than they were.
I was at that game. I was a junior at the time. Long time ago. I think Murphey fouled out late in the game and all the SU players went over to shake his hand on the bench. There was more excitement for that game than most any other I've seen. What a player!

One of my memorable moments at Bonas was seeing Murphy block Lanier from behind. With no dunking allowed Lainer took a pass after the opening tip and went to lay the ball in when Cal came from behind and blocked the ball into the backboard. I believe that the Olean Times Harold had a picture of it .

Good video featuring Lanier and Murphy as college AAs in 1970 when the Little 3 wasn't that little.

They could play.

Last edited:
Bill Smith’s great game that night (around 40 points) was overshadowed by Murphy and his 68 points.

I was at a Niagara vs Syracuse game around 1972 when Greg “Kid” Kohl had an awesome game leading to SU beating Niagara. I think I was the only person in that gym at Niagara cheering for SU. Marshall Wingate was Niagara’s star by then after Calvin left.

Marshall Wingate!
I haven't heard that name in around 40 years!

"Wow, Calvin Murphy scored 68 points in one game? I want him to be the father of my child." -nine different women

And they all succeeded.

calvin went all hobbesian on us.
universal submission to the absolute authority .

Bill Smith’s great game that night (around 40 points) was overshadowed by Murphy and his 68 points.

I was at a Niagara vs Syracuse game around 1972 when Greg “Kid” Kohl had an awesome game leading to SU beating Niagara. I think I was the only person in that gym at Niagara cheering for SU. Marshall Wingate was Niagara’s star by then after Calvin left.

Bill Smith was a really good center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom