The death of the mid-range jump shot! | Syracusefan.com

The death of the mid-range jump shot!

Gabjon

All American
Their match up zone has their shortest player stuck guarding whom ever flashes to the middle. Catch and shoot! He is too short to effect anyone on the teams shot. When the big comes up hit the offensive boards! Zone defenses have been around long before the three point shot, but if all they have to guard is the basket and the three point line they very hard to beat!

Their match up zone has their shortest player stuck guarding whom ever flashes to the middle. Catch and shoot! He is too short to effect anyone on the teams shot. When the big comes up hit the offensive boards! Zone defenses have been around long before the three point shot, but if all they have to guard is the basket and the three point line they very hard to beat!

Agreed. The basketball version of moneyball that HATES the midrange (see the treatment of Melo) has ruined the game.

All wild layup attempts(because lord knows our guys can’t actually bang one on anybody anymore) or 3’s. It’s like NBA Jam. Without the dunks.

I just checked the 09-10 team with Wes and Andy, widely considered one of our best 3pt shooting teams only averaged 17.8 3pt attempts per game. We shot 33 3s today. 7 for 33 for 21pts vs 11 for 24 for 22pts from 2pt land. Shoot 2s, hit the glass and play D.

Regarding Melo:

The mid range jump shot is nowhere near as dead as some of you claim in the NBA. Its much less prevalent than before, but it is still a fairly decent % of shots in a game... and the spacing has opened up the floor to make it a little more efficient in the past few years when teams deny the three. But is usually done off penetration and quick moves. It is just not efficient to clear, stall, jab and create contested jumpers like Carmelo excelled at. That is just not efficient now -- less talented players that are willing to move on the floor into space will get easier looks in the mid range.

As I said the mid range game is certainly not dead... it has resurrected the career of Serge Ibaka this year for example, and Kawhi has a very prevalent mid range game. But you have to be willing to move on offence and defend in space. Serge Ibaka as a Center knows how to take advantage of the extra space to get consistently clean looks. It requires much less talent than what Carmelo had, but it is just as efficient.

I have no doubt in my mind that prime Carmelo would have excelled if this was the game he entered into or evolved into during his prime. But it's difficult when it happens later in his career. Carmelo wanted to consistently default to what he excelled at... but that game made the rest of the team more inefficient (current day)

And most importantly, with the additional space defending is really important and really limits some players.

Take a look at a player like Jonas Valanciunas. He is an offensive beast in 19 minutes a game. Has a PER of 26 I beleive. But he can't see more time then that because he is totally exposed on the defensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Regarding Syracuse and the mid range game.

We just need find better ways to create cleaner looks. I don't care if its mid-range or threes. In the new game with extra outside weapons, its supposed to make shots on the inside a bit easier when you decide to go there,

We just sit around and fake penetrate and pass off, with the no goal in mind. Then one player either "creates" a contested 3, or moves in a bit or drive into traffic and "creates" a contested two.

It is just so damn frustrating. I just want more clean looks.. from somewhere. I want an offence with some sort of purpose that is looking to create better looks.

How about if we win or lose or win a game, and the coach says... we didn't executive our offensive system or plan tonight instead of "We didn't make our shots".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom