The decision to punt.. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The decision to punt..

Did it decrease the odds of winning the game in today's example [instead of hypothetically]?

We got the ball back with very solid field position, with sufficient time to put together a drive. We just couldn't move the ball, which unfortunately was pretty much the case for the whole game.
irrelevant. You can make bad decisions and have them work out, and you can make good decisions and have them not work out. In the long run playing the percentages pays off. If JB called for Baye to take a three on the last play with us down two, it could work, but that doesn't make it the right decision does it?

irrelevant. You can make bad decisions and have them work out, and you can make good decisions and have them not work out. In the long run playing the percentages pays off. If JB called for Baye to take a three on the last play with us down two, it could work, but that doesn't make it the right decision does it?

In this case Baye has a better shot of hitting that 3 than we did getting those 7 yards.

I loathe punting (Marrone /USC was awful) , but all things considered thought it was the right call there.

That's a pretty convenient way to rationalize the opposing viewpoint. :noidea: You're also talking in truisms.

The bottom line is that every play call has risk. And every play call has the chance to succeed. You can like, dislike, argue with, or argue against any play call in any situation. But it is tough to complain about the coaching staff's decision to punt in that situation, with the relevant contextual factors that went into the decision. And, as it turned out, the next defensive series couldn't have gone any better if they'd scripted it up beforehand. I'm not saying that it was all on our defensive players. Some of it had to do with field position, and the staff correctly guessing that with a true frosh QB, that PSU wasn't going to dial it up in that situation. But kudos to them for recognizing all of those factors and making a risky call that got the ball back to the offense in good field position, with plenty of time to score the winning TD.

That's all you could ask for in that situation. Ball at the 40 yard line with 2:01 to play, with your offense in a position to drive for the winning score.

Your original question was whether the decision was "totally illogical"? Several on here have provided reasons why it wasn't. Also, the "long run" isn't one decision. Shafer's call put us in a position to win -- but we didn't capitalize. Of all the things he could take back today, I'd bet that decision isn't one of them.

It basically boils down to Shafer thinking we had no chance of converting on 4th and 7. Hard to argue with that.

So he figured it was better to reset with 1st and 10 on or around our 40-45, then to reset with 1st and 10 on our 20 or inside. And if overly lucky, force a fumble.

It was kind of a lose-lose call for him. I'd prefer to be in a situation where we had any kind of confidence on 4th and 7, but today, we weren't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Our offense not marching up and down the field is exactly why you go for it - it gives you two chances.
Say SU goes for it, but doesn't convert. And we then hold PSU to a three-and-out -- but instead of getting the ball at our 44 (which we did), they punt it inside our 10. We now have to go 90 yards for a touchdown with no timeouts. Is that a better position to be in than we ended up having?

ehh...I don't think there is a realistic argument for punting in that situation. I do agree with some of the other posts that you can't always boil everything down to math - you have to consider how your team is playing that day, etcetc, but in this case I think punting absolutely decreases the odds of winning the game.
How about the fact that it worked just as Shafer wanted it to. I think he was thinking we had a better chance of stopping them and getting the ball back in decent position. We had a better chance of moving the ball with a new set of downs than a 4th and 7. Had PTG not whiffed on the 1st down screen, who knows what happens.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

The play c allying after SU got ball back was bewildering. Never though I'd muss Nassib so badly.

How about the fact that it worked just as Shafer wanted it to. I think he was thinking we had a better chance of stopping them and getting the ball back in decent position. We had a better chance of moving the ball with a new set of downs than a 4th and 7. Had PTG not whiffed on the 1st down screen, who knows what happens.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, that PTG drop was tough, looked like that had at least 10 yards of real estate in front of him, if not more.. Could have set the tone for the drive. Sigh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - http://tapatalk.com/m/

Say SU goes for it, but doesn't convert. And we then hold PSU to a three-and-out -- but instead of getting the ball at our 44 (which we did), they punt it inside our 10. We now have to go 90 yards for a touchdown with no timeouts. Is that a better position to be in than we ended up having?
arrrgh...no of course it isn't. but that is ignoring the other two possibilities: 1. we make the 4th down 2. we punt and then they get the first down. anyway...whatever. it wasn't a good percentage play. it worked. great. i hope he doesn't make a habit of making decisions like that.

arrrgh...no of course it isn't. but that is ignoring the other two possibilities: 1. we make the 4th down 2. we punt and then they get the first down. anyway...whatever. it wasn't a good percentage play. it worked. great. i hope he doesn't make a habit of making decisions like that.
I was addressing your "you get two shots" argument -- it doesn't take genius to see the other two possibilities -- the second shot (which my scenario is entirely plausible) isn't much of one at all.

Let's save the bitching and moaning about his 4th down calls until a pattern develops.

Why is it that some think McDonald and our offense could in no way possibly convert a 4th and 7 ever but converting 1st and 10 5 times is no problem? You take the opportunity you're given at the time, you don't HOPE there's another opportunity that late in the game.

Why is it that some think McDonald and our offense could in no way possibly convert a 4th and 7 ever but converting 1st and 10 5 times is no problem? You take the opportunity you're given at the time, you don't HOPE there's another opportunity that late in the game.
Why would they have to convert five 1st and 10s? Are there no 2nd downs under two minutes? And no one was "hoping" for anything -- they were making decisions based on how their players were playing.

Wherever one comes down on the hypothetical punting on 4th down argument, they can't convincingly argue that Shafer's decision to punt cost Syracuse the game in this instance. At least they haven't yet.

Why would they have to convert 5 1st and 10s? Are there no 2nd downs under two minutes? And no one was "hoping" for anything -- they were making decisions based on how their players were playing.

Wherever one comes down on the hypothetical punting on 4th down argument, they can't convincingly argue that Shafer's decision to punt cost Syracuse the game in this instance. At least they haven't yet.

It's logic - at least the logic the punt crew is using. Secant make 4th and 7, so we can't get any minimal chunk of yardage. Therefore, ideally we get the ball back at our own 40 (after the punt and all that another nonsense). So, since we've already determined we can't gain as many as 7 yards in one whole play, we have to convert around 5 first downs to score. Don't try to have it both ways. Regardless of the outcome, punting was stupid from a statistical perspective.

Was the right call, got the ball back with 2:00 with a chance to win, in a lot of ways these days it takes more balls to do what Shafer did then to go for it on 4th when we all know we weren't getting it.

It worked very well... This is what I don't get

It's logic - at least the logic the punt crew is using. Secant make 4th and 7, so we can't get any minimal chunk of yardage. Therefore, ideally we get the ball back at our own 40 (after the punt and all that another nonsense). So, since we've already determined we can't gain as many as 7 yards in one whole play, we have to convert around 5 first downs to score. Don't try to have it both ways. Regardless of the outcome, punting was stupid from a statistical perspective.
You get one chance to get seven yards -- or four chances to get ten. Sign me up for the latter. (Say they got the seven yards -- you still have to go another 50 to score.) If coaching were a simple exercise in math, they wouldn't receive millions to do it. Now that's logic.

Was the right call, got the ball back with 2:00 with a chance to win, in a lot of ways these days it takes more balls to do what Shafer did then to go for it on 4th when we all know we weren't getting it.

Well, if hindsight is 20/20 (and it clearly is since when we actually got the ball back seems to be the justification instead of when we statistically should have got the ball back) then it was a terrible call since Allen was clearly going to throw an interception. After all, that is actually what happened.

Well, if hindsight is 20/20 (and it clearly is since when we actually got the ball back seems to be the justification instead of when we statistically should have got the ball back) then it was a terrible call since Allen was clearly going to throw an interception. After all, that is actually what happened.

Right call when the only reason you are even in the game is your defense and turnovers..the offense was atrocious We were not running out leaches 2009 t tech offense... You play the percentages. Too much beer muscle here.

If its 58-55 game in the 4th it's a different scenario...

Or they could punt it out of the end zone and eliminate an opportunity for us to make up a chunk of yards on the punt return. I'm not saying our PR unit is a feared weapon, but it's another variable. Especially if our punt from midfield pinned them deep or they had a penalty, etc. Suddenly they could be punting from their end zone, (maybe with a shortened distance for the snap) which adds additional pressure/chances for a break.

I cringed but I have to say it worked- we got the ball back a minute later and had plenty of time to go down and the game. It was the play calls and that point and Allen's problems finding his receivers that were the problem.

The three runs with 55 seconds left in the first half bothered me more.

I agreed with the punt. As opposed to TCU punting down 10 with 5 minutes left last night.

Because then all they have to do is go about 15 yards to kick a FG / tack on points that makes it a two score game and puts victory out of reach.
Does that always happen? The logic for punting assumes they are not going to pick up a first down. If you punt and they pick up a first down on this down, you're cooked too. People think your defense all of sudden gets worse if you go for it and fail rather than punt.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Point of the discussion isn't that punting can never work. Hitting on nineteen can work too but it's still not smart. I was hoping Shafer would be an upgrade in these situations. I'm more interested in learning about Shafer and McDonald than what happened at the end of a game they weren't going to win either way

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom