The Difference Between Desko & Gait | Syracusefan.com

The Difference Between Desko & Gait

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
Desko - who knows what will happen next year? Next year's class doesn't look so hot...

Gait - replaces 3 good players with 4 H.S. All-Americans (5 if you count his daughter who has been injured for the last year) and a bunch of Freshman who were redshirted.

Big difference...

Desko - who knows what will happen next year? Next year's class doesn't look so hot...

Gait - replaces 3 good players with 4 H.S. All-Americans (5 if you count his daughter who has been injured for the last year) and a bunch of Freshman who were redshirted.

Big difference...
Good point, GG is building something special on the hill.

You would have to think that most of the underclassmen that were given looks some looks will be a lot better. Who knows maybe a couple of the RS will step up and provide some much needed O.

Does anyone know if Cannizzarro at Caz is solid MD commit? It would be nice to see this kid stay home. After watching the Terps person this week I have no clue why anyone would want to play that style.

Taylor will be bringing some more friends from a talented CBA team as well.

One thing to remember save for this last class, Gait wasnt exactly bringing in monster recruiting classes every year and one of the concerns I have heard through the grapevine about him being the mens coach is concern over recruiting. Desko did redshirt 3-4 players this year inlcuding some highly rated guys in Grimm and Hatem. This years class isnt big on star power but 2014 looks to be loaded and theres potential for an unbelievable class.

Taylor will be bringing some more friends from a talented CBA team as well.

any names? I've seen some of their games and they do have some great young players...

One thing to remember save for this last class, Gait wasnt exactly bringing in monster recruiting classes every year and one of the concerns I have heard through the grapevine about him being the mens coach is concern over recruiting. Desko did redshirt 3-4 players this year inlcuding some highly rated guys in Grimm and Hatem. This years class isnt big on star power but 2014 looks to be loaded and theres potential for an unbelievable class.

JC - what other potential names are you hearing for 2014? I know about the JD boys... Anyone else in the top 10 looking at Cuse?

JC - what other potential names are you hearing for 2014? I know about the JD boys... Anyone else in the top 10 looking at Cuse?

Right now the two big recruits are the JD kids and Maltz's brother Dylan who is put up ridiculous numbers last year and appears to be even better then Derek. He is also bringing up his teamate who is a long pole who has been playing since he was a freshmen. There is also a couple kids from downstate including Nick Weston and maybe one other whos name escapes me but he maybe 2014. Also because of Fall Ball I guess this would technically be the 2013 class and the kids coming in this fall would be the 2012 class.

I believe SU is also involved with several other top kids but this was information I received last summer/fall so unfotunately I can't recall specifics but will try and research that again sometime this week. Keep in mind also Randy Staats and the other freshmen from OCC would be available for the 2014 class if Desko hits up OCC again. I wouldn't hold my breath on getting Staats but there are a couple other guys who were freshmen this year that could be a big help.

just curious, what are the concerns of Gait recruiting wise? i would think it would be hard for anyone to bring in a monster recruiting class for a program that is fairly new (women's team) vs a team with a lot of tradition.

just curious, what are the concerns of Gait recruiting wise? i would think it would be hard for anyone to bring in a monster recruiting class for a program that is fairly new (women's team) vs a team with a lot of tradition.

From what I heard he wasnt a big fan of recruiting and the hours/energy it would take. Its one thing to recruit girls lax players down the street at CBA its another to go head to head with Petro, Danowski, Starsia, the guy at Maryland etc down on the Island and in NJ, Maryland, PA etc.

Northwestern and Florida have both shown that it is possible to build a powerhouse in women's lax in just a couple of years. It seems to be a lot like women's hoops, with a half dozen programs, that are willing to make a serious commitment, dominating and leaving little room for competition.

Although men's lax has fewer D-I programs, the increasing amount of talent coming out of high schools is being much more evenly distributed among them than it was 10, or even 5, years ago.

Northwestern and Florida have both shown that it is possible to build a powerhouse in women's lax in just a couple of years. It seems to be a lot like women's hoops, with a half dozen programs, that are willing to make a serious commitment, dominating and leaving little room for competition.

Although men's lax has fewer D-I programs, the increasing amount of talent coming out of high schools is being much more evenly distributed among them than it was 10, or even 5, years ago.

yep... I think the evolution of womens lax is mirroring the mens sport... As the game becomes more and more popular the dominant programs will even out. Florida is an amazing success story. 3 years, and if im not mistaken, they were top 5-10 last year in year 2. USC has just started a womens program as have UM. I imagine both of those schools will be very competitive quickly as well. It would be great if Gary and the girls can bring it home this weekend. Good way to end the athletics year!

i've watched the girl's game. it ain't lacrosse. not quite sure what field hockey did to alienate these girls but what they're currently playing my god that's not lacrosse. there would be teeth on the field and hair pulled out in a real match.

pseudo stickers. sorry but it's insulting to the game. no violence.no pain.

i've watched the girl's game. it ain't lacrosse. not quite sure what field hockey did to alienate these girls but what they're currently playing my god that's not lacrosse. there would be teeth on the field and hair pulled out in a real match.

You obviously DID NOT watch last weekend. Just clueless...

When he match's Nortrhwestern and even comes close to Desko's record than I'll say he's a Great Coach. When he took over the Girls the cupboard wasn't bear. One season doesn't make him a Great Coach. Great player and good recruiter yes, Coach i'll wait and see.
"Great" may be a bit strong, but to judge him as good/very-good you really shouldn't need to wait and see.

Gary was brought in as an assistant at Maryland from 1995-2001.
Here's a fair overview of those years and the previous and subsequent years:

Screen Shot 2012-05-26 at 9.05.35 AM.png

That 7-year run included 4 undefeated seasons. Sure, talent helps and UMD wasn't bad before his arrival, but he clearly made a difference. A recruiting and coaching difference.

He's also had success as a coach in the professional ranks.

Prior to Gary returning to Syracuse, the women's lax program had a total of one (1) NCAA tournament victory. He's taken the team to 3 Final-Four appearances in his 5 years at the helm. While maybe not as impressive as Northwestern's run, he's definitely made a difference.

Hopefully we'll all be able to consider him to be a very-good - great coach in a few more years.
A win on Sunday should help.

Assistent Coach at Md Counts ? Than All SU's NC with Desko Count.

Yup, women's lacrosse is different than men's lacrosse. They rely on similar skills, but they're different.

Just like softball is different than baseball, field lacrosse is different than box lacrosse, racquetball is different than squash, bowls is different than bocce, speed skating is different than short track, and NASCAR (aka bumper cars) is different than Formula One.

For some of these, each of us has a preference for a particular flavor, while for others we tolerate (or even like) multiple flavors. Just because you have a preference for one, or simply "don't get" an alternate flavor, doesn't mean that you can't recognize when someone has success in the alternative.

Although you don't care for the game, hopefully, you'll at least give the Orangewomen credit when they win the NCAA championship on Sunday.

regardless still always behind the girls 100% in their championship bid and applaud their amazing season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom