The difference between last year / this year is stark | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The difference between last year / this year is stark

This is just a cost of doing business in college sports. Your best players are usually the seniors, and they're always in their last season.

The flip side is that players develop a lot over each season/off season, and a good coach can often develop something out of seemingly nothing.

To your point, I'm not sure we jump forward next year, but that's OK. Wins like this one and the VT win bought Babers enough cover to build a long term foundation by red shirting key players.

And honestly, we're playing like a team. I think star power would push us to the next level, but our success is that pretty much everyone on the field represents a credible threat. And based on that diffusion of talent, I'm not sold that we'll take a step back, either.
Lot of reasons for optimism.

Another year of the S&C, and another year strengthening the identity of who we are/what we do.

Incoming class looks to have some guys that can see the field and contribute immediately.

OOC isn't as difficult.

Lots of guys that are playing a lot will be back.

Lot of reasons for optimism.

Another year of the S&C, and another year strengthening the identity of who we are/what we do.

Incoming class looks to have some guys that can see the field and contribute immediately.

OOC isn't as difficult.

Lots of guys that are playing a lot will be back.
RE immediate contributors: I hope we hold them back. I would rather wait a year and get them as a 5th year senior down the line. IMHO, that's how you build a program.

A college team w all it's players between year 2 & 5 will have a huge advantage against a team with its players between years 1 & 4.

Let the other programs make quick fixes. I want to see how high our ceiling is. For context, we almost closed our doors in the 70's, and we went undefeated 10 years later.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but think of the possibilities.

RE immediate contributors: I hope we hold them back. I would rather wait a year and get them as a 5th year senior down the line. IMHO, that's how you build a program.

A college team w all it's players between year 2 & 5 will have a huge advantage against a team with its players between years 1 & 4.

Let the other programs make quick fixes. I want to see how high our ceiling is. For context, we almost closed our doors in the 70's, and we went undefeated 10 years later.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but think of the possibilities.
Agreed, I prefer to redshirt a fair amount of players.

That said, I think there are a few guys on both sides of the ball that will help us get better at spots immediately.

The defense transformation from this year to last year is just amazing. I never thought the Tampa2 would work but so far I've got egg on my face and will keep enjoying it as long as they keep winning. I just wish Steve Clarke was still part of this too but like all of us know he is still Cuse family forever.

Last night I thought when you force Clemson into a fake punt and have turned their swagger into desperation, you have truly morphed from the hunted into the hunter. Only health can slow this team down.

IMG_20171013_223655351.jpg

I've been living overseas for several years now. But I have very fond memories of attending two games in particular - McNabb vs Miami where we destroyed then something like 63-7 (maybe not quite that bad but it felt it), and when we got hosed vs Manning and Tennessee, what a nad kick that game was.

Watching online last night from London was the first time since then they I have felt that type of energy for and around the program. Man does it feel good.. now we need to build on it and keep it going,
66-13 and it was that bad...Antonio Anderson DL returned a fumble for 149 yards or more

I was at the dome last night. And yes, we did go toe to toe with them, but the size differential in players is still huuuuge.

When I saw this guy line up against our corners I couldn’t believe his size. He definitely looked taller and bigger than 6’2 and many of SU’s linemen. He averaged almost 14 yards per his 4 catches yesterday. Was watching him and happy he wasn’t targeted more in their offense. It says his uncle was Herschel Walker.
Milan Richard Bio

I think we'll be fine. Before the season started there were questions about who would replace AET, how our defense would be able to prevent big plays and keep opponents from scoring, etc. Even during the early part of the season there were posts questioning the talent of our OL Dungey, the receivers, the running game, etc, but a lot of these questions found answers during the course of the season as the players developed into Baber's system.

The players will continue to develop in Baber's system because he focuses the talent to the system instead of trying to force players into roles they don't fit. The players and Babers consistently talk about how they need to focus on doing their job well and not to try and do too much - if each player can execute their jobs well then the system/team works. In this regard, I think Babers does a great job of maximizing each player's contribution within his system and the players have learned to execute at a higher level now than at the beginning of the season.

I'm looking forward to the evolution of our program.

I was at the dome last night. And yes, we did go toe to toe with them, but the size differential in players is still huuuuge.

It speaks to the ability of the coaching staff because there still is a talent discrepancy.

We don’t have anyone like Etienne.

But clearly we have enough talent to compete. Just gotta stay healthy these last 5 games.

And Dino seems to find impactful JC transfers
Zactly what I was thinking. It seems he had a knack to finding a few gems in the 5th year/JUCO meat market. I expect that to continue. You gotta think every 5th year player in America who catches passes has Cuse in the Top 3.

It speaks to the ability of the coaching staff because there still is a talent discrepancy.

We don’t have anyone like Etienne.

But clearly we have enough talent to compete. Just gotta stay healthy these last 5 games.
Agreed...if we had Etienne we'd be 6-1 or 7-0 right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom