The Dino Babers Show (11/20/18) | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show (11/20/18)

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s first show this year show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the first game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). The show will originate from PressRoom Pub, located at 220 Herald Place in Syracuse's historic Herald Square, each week this season.

This article contains the schedule:
AmeriCU Dino Babers Show Moves to PressRoom Pub - Syracuse University Athletics

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: Listen to The Jim Bohannon Show on WGVA on TuneIn

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: Syracuse IMG Sports (@CuseIMG) | Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Syracuse University

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s) or Comments

“Coach, in your first show this season, I asked if we now have the talent, depth and experience to compete at a high level for a full 12 game season and win some games in November. You said at the time that you were about a year and a half from where you want to be. Well, now you have won in November and are looking forward to a good bowl game, so that destination seems to have been reached. Where do you expect to be a year from now?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt reminded the coach that he had emphasized that the Notre Dame game was not as important as the conference finish against Boston College. DB: “This is our second most played rival. It will be a physical contest, outdoors in November. I’m tickled to death about it.” (I’m trying to imagine Dino being tickled to death.) “I remember the game there two years ago. The locker rooms were so tight we held our post game meeting on the field because it was such a nice day.” Matt remarked that small locker rooms were not unusual in the ACC.

One the subject of younger players vs. older players: “You could draw a line between our juniors and seniors and our freshmen and sophomores and the upperclassmen as a group played well and the underclassmen did not. It will be a good lesson for the future.” I didn’t really see such a pattern but I haven’t looked at the film. Matt said that “If the stage was too big or the lights too bright, there will be other opportunities to deal with that, maybe this year.” DB: “The first two-a-days they through they were in shape and they found out what it really takes. 18 and 19 year olds see everything as exciting and new – come aboard, we’re expecting you”. That was from the Love Boat theme- they were going to have a trivia contest at the pressroom pub after the show and Dino was warming up.

Matt thought it might have been from Gilligan’s Island but Dino said “That’s the Minnow.“ If not for the courage of Dino’s fearless crew, SU would be lost.

Clip - The Ballad of Gilligans Island, Gilligans Island opening and closing credits _0001_xvid.avi

They had the playoff ranking show on and SU holds at #20, despite the one-sided loss. Notre Dame stays #3. DB: “Our losses have been to two of the top 3 teams plus a conference champion.” (He meant Pitt will win their division: they could be a conference champ if they can beat Clemson.)

Liam in Pompey called in. “Tough loss again, I guess Notre Dame. Notre Dame is a good team. It was just a bad game at the wrong time. We will grow from this. Boston College is a bitter after their loss to Florida State. AJ Dillon is racking up the numbers. Could you comment on the game and whether Dungey will be available?” DB: “Hopefully he’ll be there with us. If anyone can, he can. They are a big, physical team. Dillon is tough and they are built to stop the run. That’s what the game will come to: who can run the ball and who can stop the run, without turnovers.“ Matt noted that the Notre Dame game was our first turnover deficit of the season. “The ball was flying around.” DB: “It really was.” He then let out a painful “Wwoooow…” just thinking about it. “Those were happening. It shouldn’t have been that way.”

I called in my question. His answer: “I expect to be deeper”, (a year from now). “We went into the Notre Dame game without a starting defensive lineman, (who?), and defensive back and we lost our quarterback three possessions in. Things had happened before I got here that I’m desperately trying to expedite, (the recovery from). We don’t have the depth we need yet. We are probably about 2 seasons away from being able to play 2-3 of the top ranked teams and compete with all of them. We have to take these things in stages. There is a lot more to do that people don’t see than they realize. We will get there.” He joked that he hoped “we don’t get ticketed for speeding”. Just tell them that Orange is the new fast, coach! He sounded like a man in the middle of a rebuilding project who wanted to complete it, (but Doug Marrone left in the middle of one and just as we were changing conferences.) it’s interesting that goal posts have moved: instead of a year and half from last September, we are now looking at two years down the road.

Joanne in Syracuse said that many patrons had to wait a long time to get into the stadium because the metal detectors had broken down. She wondered if there had been any discussion of delaying the kick-off until that was resolved. Dino said it was the first he’d heard of it. Matt said that kickoffs are typically delayed only for weather. Dino noted that it was a nationally televised game and that they were unlikely to delay the kickoff for that reason.

Mark in Liverpool called to ask about the play where Trill Williams stole the ball from Ian book before he went out of bounds. Why was there no review of that play? Dino: “I don’t know how far I can go in discussing that play without being fined. The head of referees lives in Syracuse and he might be listening.” That didn’t prevent him from telling us all about it. “I told the ref that I wanted to challenge the play. He looked at me as if he didn’t know what I was saying. I told him that again- three times. Then they ran a play and it was too late. Theoretically, every play is reviewed and they are supposed to buzz the ref when they have decided to review a play. These guys aren’t in the best of shape and if they get buzzed you can usually see their bodies move. I didn’t see anything.” (I wonder if the supervisor of referees was listening to that.) “They are supposed to examine every change of possession…but of course that wasn’t a change of possession yet. If anyone has a clear image of the play could you please send it to me?” Matt said his booth was right next to the review booth with a big window and he saw them reviewing the play and running the tape back several times. But the play had been run and nothing could be done.” Dino: “lots of times they do reviews and I wonder what they are reviewing the play for. This was one that needed to be reviewed. I didn’t throw the bag because the whole mechanics of the play set me back. They just put the ball down, signaled first down and went right on as if nothing had happened. I could have called a time out but I wasn’t sure if there had been a whistle or Book had stepped out of bounds when he still had the ball. I didn’t want to lose the time out. One possession wouldn’t change the game but I would like to have had an extra one.”

John in Baltimore took a much more direct but humorous approach to the subject of Dino leaving than I had. He created letterman-style Top Ten list of reason for Dino to stay. I didn’t get them all down. it was obviously done prior to the Notre Dame game because the first one was that we were two plays from being in the playoff, (the fourth downs vs. Clemson and Pittsburgh). Others was “3 more years of DeVito”, “The fan base won’t turn on you after a bad year”, (I hope he doesn’t read the basketball board), “You don’t want to make Jim Brown mad”, (Dino laughed at that one). “La Familia”, “You’re a history buff and we have plenty of it- look at the statues”, “We’ll call it The Dino Dome”, etc.

Then John asked a question about using young players both ways to “get them on the field”. It would also increase our depth. DB: “We do cross training guys between wide receiver and defensive back. Some guys are really unselfish. Others are locked in on one positon. We never make anybody play a position they don’t want to play.” John had also asked about Notre Dame’s use of pick plays. DB: “Pick plays are illegal. We use ‘rubs’, (which I assume means plays where you make contact but not direct contact). The guys we recruit should be guys who can play on Sunday. They don’t need somebody running next to them.”

Dom in Syracuse said about the refereeing that “Notre Dame was getting some home cooking”. He wondered if the Irish had an advantage playing out of doors in cold weather, which we really hadn’t done yet. He wondered what impact bad weather could have on the BC or the pinstripe bowls games. He also asked something about the absence of SU starters cheering on the team when the other unit was on the field. Dino: “Yankee Stadium supplied us with heated seats and the starters need to get off their feet when they aren’t in the game so the reserves give up their seats and they do the cheering from the sidelines. We have two outside practice fields which we used in October when it was raining or snowing to prepare for games like this. Notre Dame was just better than us on this day.”

They discussed the Rams-Chiefs game. Coach didn’t see much of it. “I tuned in when it seemed like a normal score. Then it got into the 30’s and 40s and I passed out. I don’t have a lot of time to watch pro games.” Matt said “A Big 12 game broke out.”

They got back to the Boston College game, which will feature two of the best defensive end tandems in the country in SU’s Alton Robinson and Kendall Coleman, (who have 16 sacks and 25TFLs) and BC’s Zack Allen and Wyatt Ray, (who have 15.5 sacks and 25.5TFLs). Dino: “They hit you and may your mother call to see if you’re OK”.

About Tommy DeVito: “We don’t need him to win the game. We need him to operate within the game.” Then came a slip, although I don’t know if it was Freudian. “Dungey has played well and won games before and we expect him to do well if Eric can’t go.” one thing I’d like to know: If we use DeVito, going against those aggressive defensive ends: who is DeVito’s back-up if Dungey can’t go?

Dino was asked about the impact of the Notre Dame game and these last two games on recruiting. “The finish of 2018 and start of 2019 will solidify the 2020 class. People are looking and watching and we need to solidify. We need to get more players.”

The special guests were Kramer Cook and Landan Salem. Kramer is the “Assistant Director of Recruiting” while Landon is the “Director of Player Personnel” but Dino said their jobs overlap so much they are basically “married”. That was news to them, (not that there’s anything wrong with that).” Both came from borderline FBS programs, (Kramer Coastal Carolina and Landon Florida Atlantic) so they are used to looking for diamonds in the rough. Landon collects information on players and decides who could be a prospect to be here. He also looks for things like a player’s GPA and were they a team captain, etc. He then shows tape to the position coaches, then the coordinators then to Coach Babers. Kramer organizes official visits and tries to convince the kids that this is the place for them.

By the way…..Mary Ann or Ginger?

569690342b503acd3f525ad05ccae55f--tv-retro-movie-tv.jpg

Program note: They described this as “the last show of the regular season” but gave no information about any pre-bowl or post-season show. I wish they would do a post season wrap-up show each year.

Horshack and Fish in the same episode? They don't make TV like that anymore.

The missing lineman Babers mentioned in his answer to you was Josh Black.

I don't like the moving goalposts about the team's development but no one is going to give him enough of a break to allow him to say, truthfully, what is needed to make this team competitive at the highest level.

SWC -- you add so much to this board, with these excellent summaries. Thanks for doing it all season.
Dino loses some good seniors this year on the offense, and has lots of juniors in the mix on defense. Difficult to project that we will be better or deeper in 2019, and there will be a lot to replace going into 2020. Recruiting is the lifeblood of a college team -- and he has work to do in the next month or so. But if he says we can compete with the top teams in 2020, Go Orange.

In case anyone is interested, below was my top 10 that I said on the show-Think he was amused, if nothing else. I prefaced it with Paul Finebaum's comments saying that he picked us to be the next breakthrough playoff contender if he sticks around.

10. With 2 games left, we were 2 plays from being in the playoff in only year 3. No reason we can't get closer with improved recruiting after some success

9. Have an AD who adores you, even before this breakthrough season

8. 3 more years of Devito

7. Won't have the fanbase turn on you after 1 bad year. See Helton, Clay. 2 years after a Rose Bowl victory and one year after division title, the whole fanbase is screaming for his head after one mediocre year with a True Freshman QB. There are numerous other examples. Heck, Brian Kelly was on the hot seat at the beginning of last year.

6. Do you really want Jim Brown mad at you?

5. Does you really want to start from scratch again?

4. La Familia. Almost everyone on next year's team came here to play for you.

3. 3 more years of an automatic Kicker

2. Self professed hx buff can appreciate our sports hx, numerous hall of Famers, 1st AA Heisman Winner

1. Neener, Neener, Neener, we have the Dino Dome and no one else does

Last edited:
He had a lot to say about the lack of turnover review, we all knew we got screwed on that one, but looks like in more ways than one.

I don't think the goal posts are moving at all.

He said it would take 2 years to get the O and D installed. It took longer because Eric got hurt so much.

When asked what's next he says another two years to compete with "all of the ranked teams on the schedule" ... I don't remember him saying that we'd be in the playoff at his opening press conference - but it we are competing with all of the ranked teams on our schedule, we're playoff contenders.

That's a whole new level. :)

He had a lot to say about the lack of turnover review, we all knew we got screwed on that one, but looks like in more ways than one.
Did anybody but me think Johnson's catch was a touchdown. He had control.

Did anybody but me think Johnson's catch was a touchdown. He had control.

It wasn't close to a catch going by this rule. The possession across the goal line only applies when you are running with the ball. Here's the college rule for a a catch which shows it was not a catch.

"If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent) he must maintain complete and continuous control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or in the end zone. This is also required for a player attempting to make a catch at the sideline and going to the ground out of bounds. If he loses control of the ball which then touches the ground before he regains control, it is not a catch. If he regains control inbounds prior to the ball touching the ground it is a catch."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom