The Dino Babers Show - before Colgate | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Colgate

SWC75

Bored Historian
(Spectrum, my internet and Cable provider, went out for about an hour and I was unable to post this until now.)

Dino Babers Show

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last half 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

The show originates from Heritage Hill Brewery in Jamesville:
3149 Sweet Rd · 3149 Sweet Rd, Jamesville, NY 13078

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: https://tunein.com/radio/home/

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)
#AskDino or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

My Question(s) or Comments (or theories)

Coach, we lost our first three games to Colgate in the 1890’s and never caught up to them in the series until your first game here. When Colgate last won, in 1950, they had a 15-31-5 lead. Let’s finally take the lead in the series!

Caleb Okechukwu is the last member of your 2018 recruiting class on the team. There are 8 seniors but the other 7 are transfers. Looking over the rosters I counted 55 players you’ve recruited who could have been on this year’s team but are not and 29 transfers on this year’s roster.

You’ve always stressed ‘Ohana’, ‘La Familia’, which means ‘the family’ in Hawaiian and Spanish. In this era of players opting for the draft or the portal and looking for NIL, how do you maintain a sense of family on the team?

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

This was an hour show, with Coach Beck coming on for the last 10 minutes.

Matt asked about the ‘grind’ of fall practice being over. Dino went right to his clichés, (which doesn’t mean they are false), saying “It’s not grinding. It’s finding. Some people met expectations, some didn’t. We don’t just coach the starters. We keep coaching everyone, trying to get everybody better.”

I called in my question, which the Coach deemed “fantastic”, (no one called in asking about penalties). “That’s losing 6 players in every class” [I’d go with 11, 55/5; the 23 class is all still here). “We had the Covid year, natural attrition, now the portal and NIL stealing our depth and our ‘youth culture’, where the players wind up being best men at each other’s weddings. But you still have the camaraderie of a team, playing for the guys to the left and right of you. I tell the players to get rid of the E in ego – and go!”

Matt noted my comment on the Colgate series. “For many years it was the big game each season, before the schools went in different directions.” Dino: “We’re dead even now. This game makes me nervous. They have so many veterans. They are good and we really need to play well. I don’t really have a good feeling about this.” [Please tell me that this won’t be like the least two basketball games, coach!]

Florida will be traveling to Utah to play the first non-conference game they have played outside the state of Florida since we whipped them here in 1991. Dino’s heard about that game from Rex Culpepper, who played QB here from 2017-2020 and whose father, Brad, played defensive tackle in that game. He’s also heard Steve Spurrier talk about it, saying “We’ll never go back there again. Florida had just made national headlines by beating Alabama, 35-0 and then we beat them 38-21…good days, my friend.

Dominic in North Carolina wanted to note that the Coach has been named ‘Coach of the Year’ by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Coach lauded the work of William Paine, the local representative of the group and Eric Coley who is also involved and how they “engaged with the football players”. He took pains to note that he “remains neutral”, whatever the players beliefs are. “I let them explore and decide what direct they want to go in.” He also holds Sunday football meetings later than any other school to allow for church attendance.

There were some players there, including “the quarterback” and an offensive tackle named Mark from Germany (Petry)who asked if the coach would rather fight a chicken every time he uses his car or fight a kangaroo once a year. Coach opted for the chicken. “I can use my kung foo on them, killed them, cook them and eat them. Those kangaroos can kill you!” Another offensive lineman, Jayden Bass, wondered what color shorts to wear for tomorrow’s practice. “Orange and blue – what else?”

Dennis from Trumansburg wanted to ask about ACC expansion/ The coach had already declined to talk about this in his press conference, saying that the decisions were being made way above him. But he sprung a few leaks tonight. He said that the Power 5 was becoming the Power 4 and we could go North, South, East and West, which would be “close to the pro level. It could be doable, with some trimming” He didn’t say who might be trimmed. Matt pointed out that he’s coached all over the country. Did he feel sorry for the Oregon States and Washington States? “It benefits the TV people. Follow the green. You wish we could kind of do the right thing.” They went to commercial, and I heard Dino say something about Virginia and Virginia Tech and what is Tech going to do? Then he said something about “my cousin”.

The show resumed and Matt asked Dino to describe what the next 40 hours will be like for the players. “Get to bed early. A full day of rehab & school. Meetings in the afternoon.” [Then how is it a full day of rehab and school?] “Jog to get the blood moving in the AM and then the game.” He said that they give tests and for anyone to play, they must “test out perfect” to get into the game. “We want them to be consistently good, not occasionally great”. [What about consistently great?] “We game plan to help them over the hurdles”.

There’s three units he really excited about – the defensive lineman, the linebackers, (he said the secondary wasn’t as deep, despite the recent additions through the portal), and the receivers, who are “better but banged up. We won’t have the full compliment. (For the Colgate game.)” Matt noted that Steven Mahar was the only player out for the year. Others will get a chance to show what they can do. “That’s how Wally Pipp got his name.” [I thought his parents called him that.] “Everyone knows Wally Pipp’s name.” Matt: “More people know Lou Gehrig’s name.”

Do expectations change when players move up in the depth chart? Dino recalled being on the staff of Jim Colletto at Purdue (1991-93), who said of players playing their first game of college football “They hardly know their names when they get in there and barely know the play. Then they go back to the pine for a while, trying to figure it out.” Matt asked what we would need to beat Purdue. “Play well enough to win two games have some momentum going in there.” Then he repeated the “one game at a time” cliché – which, of course, is true.

Matt knew Coach Beck was about to be interviewed about the offense so he asked about the defense, noting that we have “five line guys have been on the field”. [I count 8.} Dino: “Our defense was exceptional in camp. Suffocating. Coach Long got in a little more work at the bowl game than you know. He came in with no biases, untested. When I took the Bowling Green job, I did the same thing. Coach Clawson had already gone and I watched heir bowl game.” Matt asked who the leaders on defense were. Coach cited Caleb Okechukwu, Marlowe Wax and Isaiah Johnson. “The best teams are always player-led.”

Coach Jason Beck, our offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, (who knows- he could be our head coach someday), said the main thing for him was “analyzing what we did well and then get better execution. You never want D to get a read on what you’re doing.”

Matt asked about his formative experiences and beliefs. “I came from BYU. Everything revolves around the quarterback. He’s very foundational. You have to play to a quarterback’s strength, then build up the 10 guys around him….Shrader’s is in a very good spot. We kept him mentally going when he was recovering physically and now he’s ready physically, too.” [My scribbled notes are a bit hard to decipher but that’s the gist of what I remember him saying.] “It’s his second year in the same system and we return a lot of skill guys.” Then the music started playing and the show was over.

And with that, Thursday is again a special night of the week.

Last edited:
(Spectrum, my internet and Cable provider, went out of about and hour and I was unable to post this until now.)

Dino Babers Show

Coach Babers’s show this year show will be Thursday nights at 7PM except when the game is not on a Saturday. This year it will be 60 minutes, with the first 50 minutes being with Dino and the last half 10 minutes being with a ‘special guest’, who in the past just got a couple minutes at the end of the show.

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: https://twitter.com/CuseIMG (Update: this account seems to have closed.)

You can (or could last year, anyway), listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers | Free Internet Radio | TuneIn

Coach, we lost our first three games to Colgate in the 1890’s and never caught up to them in the series until your first game here. When Colgate last won, in 1950, they had a 15-31-5 lead. Let’s finally take the lead in the series!

Caleb Okechukwu is the last member of your 2018 recruiting class on the team. There are 8 seniors but the other 7 are transfers. Looking over the rosters I counted 55 players you’ve recruited who could have been on this year’s team but are not and 29 transfers on this year’s roster.

You’ve always stressed ‘Ohana’, ‘La Familia’, which means ‘the family’ in Hawaiian and Spanish. In this era of players opting for the draft or the portal and looking for NIL, how do you maintain a sense of family on the team?

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

Matt asked about the ‘grind’ of fall practice being over. Dino went right to his clichés, (which doesn’t mean they are false), saying “It’s not grinding. It’s finding. Some people met expectations, some didn’t. We don’t just coach the starters. We keep coaching everyone, trying to get everybody better.”

I called in my question, which the Coach deemed “fantastic”, (no one called in asking about penalties). “That’s losing 6 players in every class” [I’d go with 11, 55/5; the 23 class is all still here). “We had the Covid year, natural attrition, now the portal and NIL stealing our depth and our ‘youth culture’, where the players wind up being best men at each other’s weddings. But you still have the camaraderie of a team, playing for the guys to the left and right of you. I tell the players to get rid of the E in ego – and go!”

Matt noted my comment on the Colgate series. “For many years it was the big game each season, before the schools went in different directions.” Dino: “We’re dead even now. This game makes me nervous. They have so many veterans. They are good and we really need to play well. I don’t really have a good feeling about this.” [Please tell me that this won’t be like the least two basketball games, coach!]

Florida will be traveling to Utah to play the first non-conference game they have played outside the state of Florida since we whipped them here in 1991. Dino’s heard about that game from Rex Culpepper, who played QB here from 2017-2020 and whose father, Brad, played defensive tackle in that game. He’s also heard Steve Spurrier talk about it, saying “We’ll never go back there again. Florida had just made national headlines by beating Alabama, 35-0 and then we beat them 38-21…good days, my friend.

Dominic in North Carolina wanted to note that the Coach has been named ‘Coach of the Year’ by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. Coach lauded the work of William Paine, the local representative of the group and Eric Coley who is also involved and how they “engaged with the football players”. He took pains to note that he “remains neutral”, whatever the players beliefs are. “I let them explore and decide what direct they want to go in.” He also holds Sunday football meetings later than any other school to allow for church attendance.

There were some players there, including “the quarterback” and an offensive tackle named Mark from Germany (Petry)who asked if the coach would rather fight a chicken every time he uses his car or fight a kangaroo once a year. Coach opted for the chicken. “I can use my kung foo on them, killed them, cook them and eat them. Those kangaroos can kill you!” Another offensive lineman, Jayden Bass, wondered what color shorts to wear for tomorrow’s practice. “Orange and blue – what else?”

Dennis from Trumansburg wanted to ask about ACC expansion/ The coach had already declined to talk about this in his press conference, saying that the decisions were being made way above him. But he sprung a few leaks tonight. He said that the Power 5 was becoming the Power 4 and we could go North, South, East and West, which would be “close to the pro level. It could be doable, with some trimming” He didn’t say who might be trimmed. Matt pointed out that he’s coached all over the country. Did he feel sorry for the Oregon States and Washington States? “It benefits the TV people. Follow the green. You wish we could kind of do the right thing.” They went to commercial, and I heard Dino say something about Virginia and Virginia Tech and what is Tech going to do? Then he said something about “my cousin”.

The show resumed and Matt asked Dino to describe what the next 40 hours will be like for the players. “Get to bed early. A full day of rehab & school. Meetings in the afternoon.” [Then how is it a full day of rehab and school?] “Jog to get the blood moving in the AM and then the game.” He said that they give tests and for anyone to play, they must “test out perfect” to get into the game. “We want them to be consistently good, not occasionally great”. [What about consistently great?] “We game plan to help them over the hurdles”.

There’s three units he really excited about – the defensive lineman, the linebackers, (he said the secondary wasn’t as deep, despite the recent additions through the portal), and the receivers, who are “better but banged up. We won’t have the full compliment. (For the Colgate game.)” Matt noted that Steven Mahar was the only player out for the year. Others will get a chance to show what they can do. “That’s how Wally Pipp got his name.” [I thought his parents called him that.] “Everyone knows Wally Pipp’s name.” Matt: “More people know Lou Gehrig’s name.”

Do expectations change when players move up in the depth chart? Dino recalled being on the staff of Jim Colletto at Purdue (1991-93), who said of players playing their first game of college football “They hardly know their names when they get in there and barely know the play. Then they go back to the pine for a while, trying to figure it out.” Matt asked what we would need to beat Purdue. “Play well enough to win two games have some momentum going in there.” Then he repeated the “one game at a time” cliché – which, of course, is true.

Matt knew Coach Beck was about to be interviewed about the offense so he asked about the defense, noting that we have “five line guys have been on the field”. [I count 8.} Dino: “Our defense was exceptional in camp. Suffocating. Coach Long got in a little more work at the bowl game than you know. He came in with no biases, untested. When I took the Bowling Green job, I did the same thing. Coach Clawson had already gone and I watched heir bowl game.” Matt asked who the leaders on defense were. Coach cited Caleb Okechukwu, Marlowe Wax and Isaiah Johnson. “The best teams are always player-led.”

Coach Jason Beck, our offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach, (who knows- he could be our head coach someday), said the main thing for him was “analyzing what we did well and then get better execution. You never want D to get a read on what you’re doing.”

Matt asked about his formative experiences and beliefs. “I came from BYU. Everything revolves around the quarterback. He’s very foundational. You have to play to a quarterback’s strength, then build up the 10 guys around him….Shrader’s is in a very good spot. We kept him mentally going when he was recovering physically and now he’s ready physically, too.” [My scribbled notes are a bit hard to decipher but that’s the gist of what I remember him saying.] “It’s his second year in the same system and we return a lot of skill guys.” Then the music started playing and the show was over.

Thanks, Steve!! I heard Dino say, “I didn’t want to comment on expansion on the air because Virginia and Virginia Tech have a deal.” His voice went away after that.

(Spectrum, my internet and Cable provider, went out of about and hour and I was unable to post this until now.)

Dino Babers Show

The Show

I swear SWC, these write ups arent just for lazy people who forget to listen. I often go back and listen to the replay and your notes always resonate better with me than the actual conversation.

We appreciate you brother!

I went to Heritage Hill last night- first time, my friend and I took our young daughters. For those who have never gone, it’s a great atmosphere- lots of families in Orange gear, some SU players present (including Shrader) making what I assume are NIL appearances. My daughter met Coach Babers (who was gracious) and got a football signed, which she was incredibly excited by and asked it be set right next to her bed.

Great time!

(Spectrum, my internet and Cable provider, went out for about an hour and I was unable to post this until now.)

Dino Babers Show

The Show

You are the man SWC. Down here in FL in Tampa (everything turned out OK here) I lost my focus because of Idalia and let this show slip my mind, also because the last I listened was Boeheim's last show in March. I am out of practice. You saved my bacon again with your typical outstanding synopsis.

Thanks for the write up as always! Dino has his gamesmanship in mid season form, Colgate is apparently a combo of 2001 Miami and 2019 LSU!

I wonder which WRs are banged up and maybe not playing tomorrow?
Definitely Peña. I haven’t heard anyone else that was banged up. Must be minor or something that happened this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom