The Dino Babers Show - before Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show - before Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
http://cuse.com/news/2016/8/30/football-dino-babers-radio-show-debuts-wednesday.aspx

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse)99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
http://cuse.com/sb_output.aspx?form=4

My Question(s)

“Coach, I park for the games near the statues of the three 44’s outside the practice facility. When I look at them, I see the heroes of my youth who scored all those touchdowns in Syracuse University’s glory era. I also have come to realize that they and others were pioneers. Syracuse was one of the early schools to integrate and Syracuse was where the early battles for acceptance and recognition were fought. The 44s and others paved the way for many of the players and coaches we now have on the team.

What do you see when you look at those statues? What do you players see? What do potential recruits see?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavallier Room. They will move to Shaughnessy’s when it is finished. )

Coach Babers expects “a close game” against Connecticut. “If they have the ball last, I hope we have at least four points on them – not three. Their kicker is very good.

What happened against South Florida? Why did we go from 17-0 to 3-45? “The people who had done everything right in the first quarter were the people who were doing things wrong in the second quarter.

I called in I told Coach not to worry about someone calling him a “knucklehead” – the Hall of Fame is full of coaches somebody thought were knuckleheads. For the first time in three shows I got him to laugh.

I asked my question. Coach Babers: “Those statues mean ….everything. One of the reasons I came here is the strong tradition. Syracuse was cutting edge for sure, giving opportunities to many people and this needs to get recognized. We understand what the standard is and where the bar is set. But we also need to recognize the other players who played with them to make their achievements possible. We do understand what those statues mean and we want to make this University and this community proud of us…When Jim brown came we showed the players a highlight video and broke it down like coaches, showing all the things he did that we want our players to do. We told them that if you can average 4.0 yards per carry you’ll play. If you average 4.5, you’ll start every game. Jim Brown played nine years in the NFL and averaged 5.2. He’s the only player to average 100 yards per game. The players didn’t know he was there…and suddenly he stepped out… He said about eight things and seven of them sounded like he’d been in our team meetings. He said so many things we’d been saying that Jim said we sounded like the Supremes… The first time I called him on the phone I was so nervous I spoke like I had a speech impediment. When I actually met him I was proud to be able to speak in complete sentences. If the President of the United State was over there and Jim brown was over here, I’d get Jim brown’s autograph first – he’s Jim Brown! You could have paid me less for this job if I knew I was going to get to meet Jim Brown – don’t tell the AD that, though.” Matt Park asked what the players felt. Babers: “I didn’t ask them. I hope they felt what I felt.”

Liam in Pompey acknowledged that “things were not going as planned and the Louisville and South Florida games were hard to swallow but we’ll bounce back…this will take time. UConn seems like a winnable game. How are you getting the players ready for it?” Coach said of the Louisville and South Florida games that both were against really good teams but there were times in those games where we were playing with them- the #3 team in the nation and a team that’s getting votes for the top 25. We’ve got to be more consistent, stay in the game and get a better outcome. Connecticut is a really good team- they are 2-1. They find ways to win. I’m not sure we’ll be favored in any of our remaining games and I don’t care. The team that plays the best is the team that figures to win.”

Matt asked about the schedule for Baber’s first road game here. “We’ll get the football part of it done here. I want the team to relax and do team building exercises there. We’ll arrive about 4:30PM. We won’t got to the stadium until the next day. We’ll do some walk-throughs in the hotel.” Matt noted the game will be at 1PM and the Notre Dame game the next week will be at Noon.

They talked about injuries. Babers didn’t name names but said “There are a lot of guys on the edge. Some guys with experience and can handle the pain will still play.”

Matt asked about Connecticut’s offense: “Do they just run it or do they throw downfield much? Babers: “No. They run, run, throw, run, run, throw…It’s not the most popular style but you can win a lot of football games that way. They beat Houston last year, although they were minus their quarterback.” They discussed the Huskie’s impressive defensive line, which includes two heavyweights Mikal Myers
f6e8309e159dc9d2a5b04fd370f69a7f.jpg

(6-1 325) and Foley Fatukasi (6-4 310), (they also have Sean Marinan 6-1 291 and Luke Carrezola 6-3 260). Coach thinks Myers is “more like 5-11 350 – you can’t move the guy”. He also likes “#36, (Matt Walsh), who will hit anything that moves” and Obi Melifonwu “is a fine free safety”. Cornerback Jamar Summers is “thinking NFL”.

Mike Lynch, the offensive line coach, came on for the last segment. Like last week’s guest coach Kim McCloud, he’s been with Coach Babers since Eastern Illinois and has coached multiple positons, (running backs, wide receivers, offensive line. In fact, Babers thought so much of him that he kept him on from the previous staff. Matt asked Babers what he’s looking for in a coach. “No ego…believes in himself but not everything he says is gospel….unselfishness which he passes on to the players…the ability to communicate with players and buy into the philosophy.”

Lynch is proud that Dino kept him on from the previous staff at EIU and is motivated to repay him with “loyalty and doing a great job at anything he’s asked to do.” He said that coaching the offensive line is a bit like growing mushrooms- “it’s done in the dark with a lot of fertilizer and you’re expected to grow”. He said that when everything is working well, nobody talks about the offensive line. When it goes poorly, everyone talks about the offensive line.” Lynch is also the “co-offensive coordinator” with quarterbacks coach Sean Lewis. Together they come up with a game plan but Coach Babers “makes the final call”.

On the line he has 6 guys available for five spots. They do cross-training to increase depth. Colin Byrne graded very well, making the right blocking calls and being credited with 8 pancake blocks. Bryne visited a friend who plays for Connecticut during their spring practice and was most impressed with the “guacamole gun” in the cafeteria. One of his jobs was to “make sure the safety couldn’t see the quarterback” on the pass to Dungey. At 6-5 312 he was well equipped to shield the actions of the quarterback on that play. They’ve got two “similar guys” playing right tackle (McGloster and Lasker), and he finds that if you make one guy the #1 guy, the development of the other guy slows and the gap between them increases so he likes to play them together at times so they both stay involved. Matt asked about Evan Adams replacing Omari Palmer- he seemed well prepared to do so. Lynch said “All our players are well-prepared because they know they might be in there after the next snap” but “it’s a tough positon. Guys who have done it the most do it the best. It’s usually 2-3 years away.” How do we deal with blocks of granite like Myers, and Fatukasi? “We have to play low and make knock out strikes”.
hqdefault.jpg

Matt asked for the Coach’s movie pick of the week and suggested it might be “the best Jim brown movie”. Coach couldn’t pick just one, “On Any Given Sunday…100 Rifles….Mars Attacks, I’m Gonna Git You Sucka, The Running Man…Ice Station Zebra and 3 The hard Way”. Here is the trailer for the latter:

Jim Brown, of course, played for the Cleveland Browns, Fred Williamson for the Kansas City Chiefs and Jim Kelly led the Buffalo Bills to four Super Bowls. (I think). He must have used some of those moves on pass rushers.

Actually, I’ve always wondered what would have happened if Fred Williamson had tried to put “The Hammer” on Jim Brown.

I listened to the show, that was a great question Steve and you could tell that Coach was awestruck at meeting and having Jim Brown speak at his players meeting. The future is so bright with this coaching staff, SU football is in good hands. Finally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom