The Dino Babers Show- before Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Dino Babers Show- before Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
Dino Babers Radio Show Debuts Wednesday

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question!

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, there’s a lot of talk about Syracuse Universities “concussion protocol”. I realize you can’t give out much information about individual players but exactly what is SU’s concussion protocol? What are the rules, who creates them and who decides if a player can play in a game or has to give up the sport?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavalier Room. They will move to Shaughnessy’s when it is finished. )

Dino invited Jim Boeheim to stay for the first segment of his show, saying he wanted to talk to “somebody with more knowledge than I have. Nobody’s seen more coaches come and go.”

JB said he’s probably seen more Su football games than anyone- he’s been here since 1962. He recalled hearing about some guy name Floyd Little, (who was present), who was supposed to be pretty good. “It’s not like today when you hear all about the new guys. He took the opening kick-off back, untouched for a touchdown. Then he returned a punt 80 yards for a touchdown. Nobody got a hand on him. The next year, (he must have been describing a freshman game), we played Gayle Sayers and Kansas and we held Gayle to about 90 yards but Floyd scored 5 touchdowns. he put on a show like you’ve never seen.”

Dino couldn’t get a word in edgewise but I doubt he minded. JB: “I’ve enjoyed watching your team start to develop. I enjoyed being entertaining and watched a lot of promising stuff. You don’t build a football program in a year. Alabama and Ohio State always have players even when they lose 4-5 games. It takes at least three recruiting years.”

Dino repeated his saying “The lion isn’t king of the jungle. It’s the Hippos and the Elephants. You have to get those offensive and defensive linemen and they have to reach maturity.” JB: “You can get linemen who are 6-4 250 and you have to turn them into 6-4 300. You need to redshirt them and by their third year they start to be productive. You’re not going to recruit the 6-6 300 pound guy if Alabama wants them. You need to find the guy who could be good and build them up. Nobody wants to hear that. But if you talk about that, they say you are bad-mouthing the players.”

Matt asked Dino if he’d learned anything from watching coach Boeheim. DB: “He reminds me of guys I followed growing up. Whether you agree or disagree with him, his points make sense. You get a picture of the team. You obviously need good players to be good but it’s about coaching average players to be better and better players to be really good. Last year we saw the team without Coach and what they accomplished with him. I was amazed watching the zone and suddenly they would trap. I loved the unpredictability of it. I love chess more than checkers.”

JB: Some things work and some don’t. It’s the experience factor. It’s a little easier to change something if you’ve seen the situation before. Hubie Brown is one of the best tacticians I’ve ever seen. He knew how to put his players into a position where they could make plays. When guys execute plays offensively and defensively you can win. When they don’t people wonder why you didn’t do something else. You didn’t coach any better when it works.. The players made the plays. It’s the nature of coaching. Winning covers up everything. You can do a great job but if you lose it doesn’t matter. Everybody knows how to coach. You need to get good players.”

Dino noted that Jim was “on his 8th head football coach, (this would be since Jim came in 1962, as it would have to include Schwartzwalder).he liked JB’s philosophy: the coach has to put the player in a position to make plays. At this point Jim left and Dino got his show back.

Matt announced that the first 20,000 people to attend the Florida State game would get a Floyd Little bobble head. Floyd was sitting with the coach’s daughter Breeahnah, whom Matt asked to pat Floyd on the head to see if it bobbled. (I’m guessing it did, after a fashion). Matt noted that Floyd played against Florida State the first time they ever came to Syracuse and rushed for 193 yards and 3 TDs. Dino: “I’ll take two.” He comments how Floyd, like all the great runners, looked like he could still play years after his career was over.

I called in my question asking what SU’s concussion protocol was, acknowledging that he could not talk about specific players. He surprised me by saying that he was also not allowed to discuss the protocol itself but said that I could read it on SU’s website, as every school is required to post it to their internet site. I found it here: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/concussionpolicySyracuse2015.pdf

This paragraph described the so called “three concussion rule::

“Any student-athlete with two documented time-loss concussions of any length while at
Syracuse University receives a letter from the Assistant Director of Athletics for Sports
Medicine, outlining their concussion history and the recommendations from the physician
that another concussion may disqualify the student-athlete from further participation in
contact sports at Syracuse University. The head coach is also copied on this letter which is
also acknowledged by the student-athlete with their signature.”

You wonder if Eric Dungey has received such a letter. The entire document shows that the rulings on individual cases will depend on the details of those cases.

Matt did the “Injury Report”. Steven Clark is definitely out for FSU and Eric Dungey is “doubtful”.
Dino: “At this time of year, if you don’t have the numbers right, you’ll get banged up. It’s the physicality of his game that makes it America’s #1 sport. Once we get the numbers up and the players mature, we’ll be OK.

Liam in Pompey, of course, wanted coach’s assessment of the officiating, especially on the chop block call and the interference call on franklin. Coach Babers repeated what he had said in the presser and told Brent Axe this afternoon: that he doesn’t make enough money to afford the fines he’d get for complaining. He did offer this: “The great thing about being human is that you’re not perfect and I’d say the officials fall into that category.”

John in Baltimore asked what coach’s recruiting philosophy was, especially about defensive backs for the Tampa 2- doesn’t it require big backs? DB: You “You always want to try to get as big a player as possible who can still move at the speed of the game. The d-backs are our support players to get us off the field. Players like Antwan Cordy and Davion Ellison are undersized for the Tampa 2but they hit so hard and have such huge hearts they can play the game even at their size. But smaller players tend to get injured more.”

Ralph in Camillus thanked the coach for coming here. he asked about the recruiting class of 2017. He knew that the coach couldn’t comment on individual players but wondered what kind of player the coach was looking for as they try to fill out the class. DB: “We considered the 2016 and 107 classes tighter as the foundation of our program. W had 60 days to put together the 20166 class. Taken together, they give us 25-35 to be that foundation. Some guys are so exciting they can go right into the line-up. Some are promising but have to be redshirted. Others don’t turn out to be as good as you thought. The remaining scholarships will go to certain individuals with certain skills. They will tend to be higher rated than the ones we’ve recruited so far. They will be guys who can help us right away, unless they are offensive linemen.”

Pat in Cicero thanked the coach for choosing Syracuse. He acknowledged that the crowds have been disappointing but “if you build it, they will come back”. (I’m sure Dino appreciated the movie reference.)

Pat said that he’d always wondered why we didn’t use 5 wide-outs playing in the Dome and now that we have that kind of offense “it will be awesome”. DB: “It’s still important to be consistent and fundamentally sound in technique. We are working on a foundation. If you are a plumber you’ve got to know how to use the tools in your tool belts. That’s what our players have to learn. Then the fun can really begin. It will begin between the 4th and 6th games of the second year. The stuff we are teaching them is different from what they have bene taught before. They are getting it but they are still thinking through it. Next year they won’t have to think about it. “

Floyd was passing out buttons that said “Roll the Noles”. Coach said they were considering using “Stop the Chop”. It’s probably a good idea Coach didn’t go around wearing a button that said that. He might be fined.

Pete in Solvay wondered if there were any defensive changes contemplated for Florida State. Will we still be in the Tampa 2? Also, did he feel his job might be in jeopardy if he lost these last two games.? (So we have to worry about Babers getting fired as well as worrying about whether he’ll be poached?)

Dino said that in his 31 years as coach, he’d had a multi-year contract in about 6 years. “if you don’t do well, you will be asked to do it somewhere else.” He added that he didn’t want to say too much about his strategy because people might be listening, as Wake Forest accused Louisville of doing. He said the Tampa 2 is “a seven man front with 2 safeties” but that he can shift to “an 8 man front with single pressures” if they have trouble stopping the run. “The key is to stop the run and run the football when you want to. If you can’t you aren’t good enough and have to get better.”

The produced a discussion of Dalvin Cook, the Florida State running star. Coach “saw him running away from Clemson’s defensive backs who can flat run. He’s even better than the big guy from Texas, he said Leonard Fournette, (who is from Louisiana), “is also exceptional”. He said “The Big Moose Guys don’t come along very often. Give them the ball enough and they’ll win the game for you. But you’ve got to look for the quarterback, the wide receivers and the tight end – they’ll get theirs.” Coach was also impressed with the Seminole defense, including DeMarcus Walker, who has 11.5 sacks and that fact that they have “6 foot corners that can run”. He counted 48 recruiting stars on the Florida State team, ( I assume that was his assessment of the defense, we which he said was full of 4 and 5 star guys ) it’s interesting that most coaches poo-poo the star system for evaluating recruits but Babers apparently uses it to assess the overall talent on the other team.

Coach’s movie pick this week is “Remember the Titans”, especially the scene where the defensive coordinator walks up to the official and tells him to “Call if fair”. He’s told that he will never make the Hall of Fame but replies that he’ll skip the Hall of Fame if they will only call it fair. (Can you get fined for that?):

Worry about his job in jeopardy???

GoodGrief.png

The fun "will begin between the 4th and 6th games of the second year." I love Dino's concept -- and wonder which poor ACC opponent will feel the onslaught?

Now, does it depend on the health of our QB, and whether the new starters at two WR spots, TE, perhaps a true frosh RB, and one or two OL spots have had time to catch on? Nope -- Dino will make it happen!

Worry about his job in jeopardy???

GoodGrief.png
I know, I was streaming both shows on TuneIn last night and I couldn't believe that dude actually asked the question. Talk about needing a clue...

The fun "will begin between the 4th and 6th games of the second year." I love Dino's concept -- and wonder which poor ACC opponent will feel the onslaught?

Now, does it depend on the health of our QB, and whether the new starters at two WR spots, TE, perhaps a true frosh RB, and one or two OL spots have had time to catch on? Nope -- Dino will make it happen!

I love that he's confident. I don't like that he lays it out there like that because the fan expectation will be unreasonable. Our depth is still terrible and our OLine is still atrocious, Our QB is on the shelf. I just dont believe our team is quite built to the point where it 'takes off'. I hope like heck it does but I'm not banking on it because we're just not playing with a full deck yet.

I love that he's confident. I don't like that he lays it out there like that because the fan expectation will be unreasonable. Our depth is still terrible and our OLine is still atrocious, Our QB is on the shelf. I just dont believe our team is quite built to the point where it 'takes off'. I hope like heck it does but I'm not banking on it because we're just not playing with a full deck yet.

I still think it's probably year 3 to start taking off, but next year we should improve upon this year. OL should be better next year with all the youth that's playing now, but still a gaping hole at RT to solve. And hopefully Byrne isn't a long term injury.

Defense should definitely improve as well. They're pretty much all coming back.

He counted 48 recruiting stars on the Florida State team, ( I assume that was his assessment of the defense, we which he said was full of 4 and 5 star guys ) it’s interesting that most coaches poo-poo the star system for evaluating recruits but Babers apparently uses it to assess the overall talent on the other team.
]

I don't think he uses the 'stars' to asses a team's overall talent. I think uses the 'stars' because he's in touch with what the fans use to assess another team's overall talent.

thanks for the recap. the stuff with JB was spot on.

I still think it's probably year 3 to start taking off, but next year we should improve upon this year. OL should be better next year with all the youth that's playing now, but still a gaping hole at RT to solve. And hopefully Byrne isn't a long term injury.

agreed

I believe Babers is speaking to his offense -- how long it takes to get everything functioning at the pace he wants, with every player knowing the system. As I hinted above, a skeptic would say it depends on who is our QB, how much we improve at RB & TE, who replaces AET and Estime, and whether there are a couple of new OL to upgrade what we have and provide at least a modest run attack. Year 3 -- some of the same questions, but more time to find answers.

Yes, Year 2 could be a big improvement. There are 4 red-shirting OL to push the starters -- probably as good or better than Bryne and Adams. The recent RB commit (Pierre) has good size and is putting up huge numbers. Defense is back as you wrote, bigger and deeper than this season. We have no specifics about juco or post-grade help, but Dino might add 3 or 4 contributors from those ranks. If he can find that help, we are a lot closer than some see now.

I believe Babers is speaking to his offense -- how long it takes to get everything functioning at the pace he wants, with every player knowing the system. As I hinted above, a skeptic would say it depends on who is our QB, how much we improve at RB & TE, who replaces AET and Estime, and whether there are a couple of new OL to upgrade what we have and provide at least a modest run attack. Year 3 -- some of the same questions, but more time to find answers.

Yes, Year 2 could be a big improvement. There are 4 red-shirting OL to push the starters -- probably as good or better than Bryne and Adams. The recent RB commit (Pierre) has good size and is putting up huge numbers. Defense is back as you wrote, bigger and deeper than this season. We have no specifics about juco or post-grade help, but Dino might add 3 or 4 contributors from those ranks. If he can find that help, we are a lot closer than some see now.

It would be nice if we were good enough to win all 7 home games next year. Other than Clemson, it's not exactly murderer's row (FCS, Mid Tenn State, CMU, Wake, BC, Pitt). And I think all of Clemson's skill positions on offense are graduating or already announced they're going pro early. I'd hope it's something closer to the 2015 game than the 2016 game.

Good lord, do they have screeners? Or do so few people call in that they just let anyone thru?

Callers to talk radio seem to have really gotten bad (SWC excluded) - at least from my perspective. I used to listen to it all the time but now only occasionally. The experts after the Chiefs games here in KC are just hilarious.

it’s interesting that most coaches poo-poo the star system for evaluating recruits but Babers apparently uses it to assess the overall talent on the other team.

I think you have next weeks question...

It certainly won't be about our concussion protocol. :confused:

Love the recap, enjoyed the presence of Boeheim (they should do this more often), but thought that concussion answer was really weird.

He's not allowed to share the protocol, but he's glad to point to the link on the website? I'm not buying the first part of that.

Love the recap, enjoyed the presence of Boeheim (they should do this more often), but thought that concussion answer was really weird.

He's not allowed to share the protocol, but he's glad to point to the link on the website? I'm not buying the first part of that.

Maybe he has a problem with the protocol but doesn't want to air it publicly. :noidea:

One thing I've learned about the guy: if he doesn't want to talk about something, he doesn't talk about it.

Although he left plenty of breadcrumbs on his view of the officiating. ;)

Only thing I can think of that he might not be allowed to talk about the protocol is that they don't want him to say anything that could be misinterpreted and get them in legal hot water. Just throwing out an idea that is probably wrong but my guess is he just doesn't want to talk about it.

So call
Callers to talk radio seem to have really gotten bad (SWC excluded) - at least from my perspective. I used to listen to it all the time but now only occasionally. The experts after the Chiefs games here in KC are just hilarious.

I buy it because I have to deal with a similar regulation in my job. I rent apartments for a living, if someone asks me a question about the quality of the schools I'm not allowed to offer a view of it, but I AM allowed to reference that the rating websites exist. This seems similar.

It would be nice if we were good enough to win all 7 home games next year. Other than Clemson, it's not exactly murderer's row (FCS, Mid Tenn State, CMU, Wake, BC, Pitt). And I think all of Clemson's skill positions on offense are graduating or already announced they're going pro early. I'd hope it's something closer to the 2015 game than the 2016 game.
We better win six at home because next year's road schedule is brutal.

We better win six at home because next year's road schedule is brutal.

I don't see a road win in there. If NC State loses to Miami/UNC, and Doeren is fired, then maybe. But they just looked like they had better players. Coaching can be the equalizer, but more often at home than on the road in college football.

Coach Babers’s Show will be at the new Marriott Syracuse, (the former Hotel Syracuse). The first show will be Wednesday night at 7PM because the game is Friday, (the show will normally be two days before the next game). They will be in Shaughnessy’s Irish Pub, which can be accessed from the street.

This article contains the schedule:
Dino Babers Radio Show Debuts Wednesday

You can also listen to the show live each week on the Syracuse IMG Sports Network and Cuse.com. Wednesday's show will be on 99.1 FM and 97.7 FM, as well. The show will regularly air on 99.5FM (Syracuse) 99.1 FM (Utica) and 1200 AM.”
You can also get it on: WGVA

There hasn’t been any change in the phone numbers, which last year were 315-424-8599 (local) or 1-888-746-2873. You can call to ask questions or submit them via Twitter at: #AskDino hashtag on Twitter
Or through Cuse.com, (the SU Athletic website):
Submit a Question!

You can listen to a podcast of the show, probably the next day, at: Search results for babers
I’ve been asked to continue doing the summaries, even by people who listen to the podcasts. I may focus on the major points, rather than trying to record everything.

My Question(s)

“Coach, there’s a lot of talk about Syracuse Universities “concussion protocol”. I realize you can’t give out much information about individual players but exactly what is SU’s concussion protocol? What are the rules, who creates them and who decides if a player can play in a game or has to give up the sport?”

The Show
(I sometimes re-arrange the comments so that statements made on the same subject are reported together, even if they came at different points of the show.)

(They were still in the Cavalier Room. They will move to Shaughnessy’s when it is finished. )

Dino invited Jim Boeheim to stay for the first segment of his show, saying he wanted to talk to “somebody with more knowledge than I have. Nobody’s seen more coaches come and go.”

JB said he’s probably seen more Su football games than anyone- he’s been here since 1962. He recalled hearing about some guy name Floyd Little, (who was present), who was supposed to be pretty good. “It’s not like today when you hear all about the new guys. He took the opening kick-off back, untouched for a touchdown. Then he returned a punt 80 yards for a touchdown. Nobody got a hand on him. The next year, (he must have been describing a freshman game), we played Gayle Sayers and Kansas and we held Gayle to about 90 yards but Floyd scored 5 touchdowns. he put on a show like you’ve never seen.”

Dino couldn’t get a word in edgewise but I doubt he minded. JB: “I’ve enjoyed watching your team start to develop. I enjoyed being entertaining and watched a lot of promising stuff. You don’t build a football program in a year. Alabama and Ohio State always have players even when they lose 4-5 games. It takes at least three recruiting years.”

Dino repeated his saying “The lion isn’t king of the jungle. It’s the Hippos and the Elephants. You have to get those offensive and defensive linemen and they have to reach maturity.” JB: “You can get linemen who are 6-4 250 and you have to turn them into 6-4 300. You need to redshirt them and by their third year they start to be productive. You’re not going to recruit the 6-6 300 pound guy if Alabama wants them. You need to find the guy who could be good and build them up. Nobody wants to hear that. But if you talk about that, they say you are bad-mouthing the players.”

Matt asked Dino if he’d learned anything from watching coach Boeheim. DB: “He reminds me of guys I followed growing up. Whether you agree or disagree with him, his points make sense. You get a picture of the team. You obviously need good players to be good but it’s about coaching average players to be better and better players to be really good. Last year we saw the team without Coach and what they accomplished with him. I was amazed watching the zone and suddenly they would trap. I loved the unpredictability of it. I love chess more than checkers.”

JB: Some things work and some don’t. It’s the experience factor. It’s a little easier to change something if you’ve seen the situation before. Hubie Brown is one of the best tacticians I’ve ever seen. He knew how to put his players into a position where they could make plays. When guys execute plays offensively and defensively you can win. When they don’t people wonder why you didn’t do something else. You didn’t coach any better when it works.. The players made the plays. It’s the nature of coaching. Winning covers up everything. You can do a great job but if you lose it doesn’t matter. Everybody knows how to coach. You need to get good players.”

Dino noted that Jim was “on his 8th head football coach, (this would be since Jim came in 1962, as it would have to include Schwartzwalder).he liked JB’s philosophy: the coach has to put the player in a position to make plays. At this point Jim left and Dino got his show back.

Matt announced that the first 20,000 people to attend the Florida State game would get a Floyd Little bobble head. Floyd was sitting with the coach’s daughter Breeahnah, whom Matt asked to pat Floyd on the head to see if it bobbled. (I’m guessing it did, after a fashion). Matt noted that Floyd played against Florida State the first time they ever came to Syracuse and rushed for 193 yards and 3 TDs. Dino: “I’ll take two.” He comments how Floyd, like all the great runners, looked like he could still play years after his career was over.

I called in my question asking what SU’s concussion protocol was, acknowledging that he could not talk about specific players. He surprised me by saying that he was also not allowed to discuss the protocol itself but said that I could read it on SU’s website, as every school is required to post it to their internet site. I found it here: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/concussionpolicySyracuse2015.pdf

This paragraph described the so called “three concussion rule::

“Any student-athlete with two documented time-loss concussions of any length while at
Syracuse University receives a letter from the Assistant Director of Athletics for Sports
Medicine, outlining their concussion history and the recommendations from the physician
that another concussion may disqualify the student-athlete from further participation in
contact sports at Syracuse University. The head coach is also copied on this letter which is
also acknowledged by the student-athlete with their signature.”

You wonder if Eric Dungey has received such a letter. The entire document shows that the rulings on individual cases will depend on the details of those cases.

Matt did the “Injury Report”. Steven Clark is definitely out for FSU and Eric Dungey is “doubtful”.
Dino: “At this time of year, if you don’t have the numbers right, you’ll get banged up. It’s the physicality of his game that makes it America’s #1 sport. Once we get the numbers up and the players mature, we’ll be OK.

Liam in Pompey, of course, wanted coach’s assessment of the officiating, especially on the chop block call and the interference call on franklin. Coach Babers repeated what he had said in the presser and told Brent Axe this afternoon: that he doesn’t make enough money to afford the fines he’d get for complaining. He did offer this: “The great thing about being human is that you’re not perfect and I’d say the officials fall into that category.”

John in Baltimore asked what coach’s recruiting philosophy was, especially about defensive backs for the Tampa 2- doesn’t it require big backs? DB: You “You always want to try to get as big a player as possible who can still move at the speed of the game. The d-backs are our support players to get us off the field. Players like Antwan Cordy and Davion Ellison are undersized for the Tampa 2but they hit so hard and have such huge hearts they can play the game even at their size. But smaller players tend to get injured more.”

Ralph in Camillus thanked the coach for coming here. he asked about the recruiting class of 2017. He knew that the coach couldn’t comment on individual players but wondered what kind of player the coach was looking for as they try to fill out the class. DB: “We considered the 2016 and 107 classes tighter as the foundation of our program. W had 60 days to put together the 20166 class. Taken together, they give us 25-35 to be that foundation. Some guys are so exciting they can go right into the line-up. Some are promising but have to be redshirted. Others don’t turn out to be as good as you thought. The remaining scholarships will go to certain individuals with certain skills. They will tend to be higher rated than the ones we’ve recruited so far. They will be guys who can help us right away, unless they are offensive linemen.”

Pat in Cicero thanked the coach for choosing Syracuse. He acknowledged that the crowds have been disappointing but “if you build it, they will come back”. (I’m sure Dino appreciated the movie reference.)

Pat said that he’d always wondered why we didn’t use 5 wide-outs playing in the Dome and now that we have that kind of offense “it will be awesome”. DB: “It’s still important to be consistent and fundamentally sound in technique. We are working on a foundation. If you are a plumber you’ve got to know how to use the tools in your tool belts. That’s what our players have to learn. Then the fun can really begin. It will begin between the 4th and 6th games of the second year. The stuff we are teaching them is different from what they have bene taught before. They are getting it but they are still thinking through it. Next year they won’t have to think about it. “

Floyd was passing out buttons that said “Roll the Noles”. Coach said they were considering using “Stop the Chop”. It’s probably a good idea Coach didn’t go around wearing a button that said that. He might be fined.

Pete in Solvay wondered if there were any defensive changes contemplated for Florida State. Will we still be in the Tampa 2? Also, did he feel his job might be in jeopardy if he lost these last two games.? (So we have to worry about Babers getting fired as well as worrying about whether he’ll be poached?)

Dino said that in his 31 years as coach, he’d had a multi-year contract in about 6 years. “if you don’t do well, you will be asked to do it somewhere else.” He added that he didn’t want to say too much about his strategy because people might be listening, as Wake Forest accused Louisville of doing. He said the Tampa 2 is “a seven man front with 2 safeties” but that he can shift to “an 8 man front with single pressures” if they have trouble stopping the run. “The key is to stop the run and run the football when you want to. If you can’t you aren’t good enough and have to get better.”

The produced a discussion of Dalvin Cook, the Florida State running star. Coach “saw him running away from Clemson’s defensive backs who can flat run. He’s even better than the big guy from Texas, he said Leonard Fournette, (who is from Louisiana), “is also exceptional”. He said “The Big Moose Guys don’t come along very often. Give them the ball enough and they’ll win the game for you. But you’ve got to look for the quarterback, the wide receivers and the tight end – they’ll get theirs.” Coach was also impressed with the Seminole defense, including DeMarcus Walker, who has 11.5 sacks and that fact that they have “6 foot corners that can run”. He counted 48 recruiting stars on the Florida State team, ( I assume that was his assessment of the defense, we which he said was full of 4 and 5 star guys ) it’s interesting that most coaches poo-poo the star system for evaluating recruits but Babers apparently uses it to assess the overall talent on the other team.

Coach’s movie pick this week is “Remember the Titans”, especially the scene where the defensive coordinator walks up to the official and tells him to “Call if fair”. He’s told that he will never make the Hall of Fame but replies that he’ll skip the Hall of Fame if they will only call it fair. (Can you get fined for that?):

Pete in Solvay...ARE YOU SERIOUS???

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom