The Disparity in Announcing Is Amazing | Syracusefan.com

The Disparity in Announcing Is Amazing

Col. Bleep

All American
Duke-UNC obviously gets ESPN's top crew...Shulman and Bilas.
But the drop off in ability after them is really substantial.
The guys who did the Orange v.Louisville (Mike Couzens and Jordan Cornette) seem like minor leaguers.
It's very surprising for ESPN.

The guys who did the Orange v.Louisville (Mike Couzens and Jordan Cornette) seem like minor leaguers.
It was the jayvee game after all.

Agreed. Part of the issue is that ESPN has laid off so many good people the past few years. Couzens is good. Cornette is atrocious. Bill RAF, the best color guy in the game, got a huge contact to go to FS1 for new Big East games a few years ago, which also allows him to do games on CBS. I miss him paired with McDonough and Bilas. That was the best college basketball broadcast team.

Last night Couzens and Cornette were terrible.

If you couldn't see the picture, you wouldn't know what was happening most of the time.

They also sounded like they were auditioning to be Louisville home announcers for much of the game.

How much time did the color guy spend rehearsing lines for a L'ville comeback? Down 10 at end of half - "Well now they're in the opposite position!". Down 16 in the 2nd half "What an incredible role reversal this could be!". Good point douche. Maybe they should've just fallen behind 24-0. I think he finally gave up when the lead got to 20.

We're unranked, and that's the level of respect you get. Around here, the attitude is, "but hey, we're still Syracuse," but i guess none of our alums are making that case ("very, very strongly") in the meetings in Bristol.

Bring back Mike Gorman!
Loved the announcing on the old Big East network. I remeber many a game tuning into Fox 68, and listening to Mike Gorman and Ron Perry "Comin' to you live from the Carrier Dome, where tonight it's the Boston College Eagles, Vs. the Syracuse Orangemen!" I can still hear him say "Roe for threeee, got it" Think he still does Boston Celtics games, great announcer!

Last edited:
If SU isn't the marquee game, I'd rather listen to a game with this announce crew

maxresdefault.jpg

tough to beat old school BE games with Eagle and Spanarkel. I cut my young chops on these guys. Doug Logan on the radio was orgasmic when I couldn't watch a game

tough to beat old school BE games with Eagle and Spanarkel. I cut my young chops on these guys. Doug Logan on the radio was orgasmic when I couldn't watch a game

Orgasmic is not a word I expected to see to describe a feeling toward an announcer. well done

Could not agree more..at least Corey Alexander was not on the color last night... I find him impossible to listen to. I'm glad I wasnt the only one noticing the drop in quality on ESPN.

you're missing the point. Sure we got Couzens and Cornette, but at least it was a national feed. We got Zaxby's commercials instead of Food Lion! (but I have no idea where there's a Zaxby's)

The worst part of the broadcast were the 99 promos for the Duke-UNC game. OK we get it, Duke/NC is up next. Do we need to see it every commercial break, during the play-by-play, at halftime and ad nauseum once SU was up by 20 and the game was in hand???

Im probably in the minority but I have grown to appreciate Dan Dakich.....maybe its living in Indy causing the bias but he truly has some great insights into the game....