The Dome 2.23.2019 | Syracusefan.com

The Dome 2.23.2019

MadNY3

All American
It’s been awhile since I’ve gone to a big hoops game in the Dome.

And man...there’s just nothing else quite like it in sports.

Blown away that in today’s screen culture, the place was sold out and packed.

The response and respect to the Jimenez death was massively appropriate. Huge respect for the thinking that went behind it; it’s not easy to have that moment of silence for a number of reasons, but it truly felt right.

Can’t wait for a Dome with better sound, video, wifi and hallways, but I’ll be damned if our home stadium ain’t awesome.

The response and respect to the Jimenez death was massively appropriate. Huge respect for the thinking that went behind it; it’s not easy to have that moment of silence for a number of reasons, but it truly felt right.

Can’t wait for a Dome with better sound, video, wifi and hallways, but I’ll be damned if our home stadium ain’t awesome.
Wait til you see the atmosphere this Fall.

The hallways are the most important but there’s still uncertainty if they’ll prioritize it over other fluffs like AC.

I still can’t understand how kids at the top of the class don’t wanna come and play here with crowds that we get for games. I would love to play in front of that many people. It’s our biggest selling point to a kid. How our recruiting isn’t top ten every year blows me away.

It was a great atmosphere. Credit to the SU Athletic department, which continues to make positive changes.

The guy who sang the NA was from Oswego and was on Adam Levine's team on The Voice. You could tell. Very impressive effort.

Had my first Dino BBQ sandwich at the Dome Saturday. They apparently sell Dino chili as well. It was very good. They are only sold at one concession stand, on the student (South) side of the Dome, the one furthest to the east (i.e. towards Archbold Gym).

There were at least a couple of sub sections of the SSS deployed to corners of the concourse, who played a bunch of songs, much to the surprise and delight of fans, who stopped and listened for long periods. Many took pictures or videos.

The plant pro dance guy was a huge hit. I had 4 or 5 casual fans that couldn't stop raving about how unexpected and fun his appearances were.

And we had a big group of cheerleaders from the blue team come up to our section and hang out and cheer for a while. Some communication problems here. They were told repeatedly to leave by security but they ignored the requests, stayed and cheered. People liked it a lot.

When is OIP coming to section 310?

Brett did a great job producing the big show. Well done.

The hallways are the most important but there’s still uncertainty if they’ll prioritize it over other fluffs like AC.
AC not a fluff! Yes, perhaps only used 2 games/season but the Dome is torturous without AC for those 2 games and dangerous to the health of our fans and players. JMHO.

It was a great atmosphere. Credit to the SU Athletic department, which continues to make positive changes.

The guy who sang the NA was from Oswego and was on Adam Levine's team on The Voice. You could tell. Very impressive effort.

Had my first Dino BBQ sandwich at the Dome Saturday. They apparently sell Dino chili as well. It was very good. They are only sold at one concession stand, on the student (South) side of the Dome, the one furthest to the east (i.e. towards Archbold Gym).

There were at least a couple of sub sections of the SSS deployed to corners of the concourse, who played a bunch of songs, much to the surprise and delight of fans, who stopped and listened for long periods. Many took pictures or videos.

The plant pro dance guy was a huge hit. I had 4 or 5 casual fans that couldn't stop raving about how unexpected and fun his appearances were.

And we had a big group of cheerleaders from the blue team come up to our section and hang out and cheer for a while. Some communication problems here. They were told repeatedly to leave by security but they ignored the requests, stayed and cheered. People liked it a lot.

The SSS didn't play Down the Field when the team left the tunnel, as per tradition. I thought you might comment on that, but I know you're more a glass-half-full kind of guy.

But in general, it seems like the band:canned music ratio is as lopsided as it ever was during the Gross era. Not a fan.

It would be tremendous if we could get the fans to sing this. That is prototype college fandom stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't
The SSS didn't play Down the Field when the team left the tunnel, as per tradition. I thought you might comment on that, but I know you're more a glass-half-full kind of guy.

But in general, it seems like the band:canned music ratio is as lopsided as it ever was during the Gross era. Not a fan.
Didn't notice it, not a fan of that change.

I like having the band play a lot. College sports are different than pro sports. There is no need to try and 'Out Crunch' the Crunch. The SSS and SUMB are essential things that make the college gameday special. IMHO, we need to remember this and embrace it forever.

I think instead of doing away with the fight song when we take the court, we should be working to educate the fanbase on the words of the song, and encourage them, using the cheerleaders, the scoreboard and maybe the loudspeakers, to sign along, especially the a capella once the instruments stop playing.

It would be tremendous if we could get the fans to sing this. That is prototype college fandom stuff.

The music at the Dome is absolutely awful.

They cater to the people who don’t care and are just there as a social outing, way too much.

They cater to the people who don’t care and are just there as a social outing, way too much.
If they don't care then just play the friggin' band.

ADJW needs to step up and avoid turning this into an NBA production when the new lighting and sound system is added.

AC not a fluff! Yes, perhaps only used 2 games/season but the Dome is torturous without AC for those 2 games and dangerous to the health of our fans and players. JMHO.
It's ok if we pass out as long as the Clemson players pass out as well. Dino will have his team ready. Might as well just announce that game as Sauna Day. Crank up the heat and hand out bathtowels and bottled water to the first 49k fans. Clothing optional and generally discouraged.

If they don't care then just play the friggin' band.

ADJW needs to step up and avoid turning this into an NBA production when the new lighting and sound system is added.

This is the part that I don't get. If the crappy electronic music got the students hyped, I still wouldn't like it, but I'd understand the argument for it.

But they sit there silently and play with their phones during every stoppage (unless there's a camera in front of them). Why cater to them? Bands are appreciated at 2/3s of other schools, and the SSS has always been a hit with us. No need to change that formula.

Hallways are prioritized over AC.
Not sure what you're hearing but every thing we've heard from the AD and Sala includes no mention of concourse work in phase 2. It's been speculated in phase 3.

Hope it doesn't take a fire code tragedy for them to make it a priority.

I'm in 310. They came once this year and dropped off like 3 empty pizza boxes and it was to folks in the top rows. I'm waiting for the seat upgrade to come from 310. Which incidentally the school did a great job giving the upgrade Saturday to two fans from a very far away region. Very nice touch.

Ok. I thought my hearing was off. I recorded when they came out the tunnel and didn't hear the SUMB play the fight song in my playback. The Dome would have erupted. I only knew SU was coming out because of the giant flag.

It's ok if we pass out as long as the Clemson players pass out as well. Dino will have his team ready. Might as well just announce that game as Sauna Day. Crank up the heat and hand out bathtowels and bottled water to the first 49k fans. Clothing optional and generally discouraged.
Ha ha ha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom