The Downside - Canisius | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Canisius

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This team is still learning to play together in the man-for man defense. We allowed too many cuters to the basket in the first half. Matt Park compared it to cornerbacks wondering where the safety help was after a blown coverage.

- In the second half, we gave up too many threes. Some of them were from far out but we couldn’t shake the Golden Griffins because of them. Playing man-for-man was supposed to prevent threes.

- Quadir Copeland and Kyle Cuffe are clearly good players but they were less than outstanding tonight, especially Cuffe who hit one three and had a steal but missed two other shots and had 2 turnovers and committed 3 fouls in just 9 minutes. But these guys are going to spend more time on the Upside than the Downside this season.

- Now It gets real.

It looks obvious to me that our guys need to move their feet better on Defense and anticipate where the ball will go sooner. To many guys getting beaten to spots.

While all this is accurate, Canisius banked in 1 three, hit a 28 footer in clock shot desperation, and had the one dude hit 2 from beyond 25 feet. Having said that, we obviously need to do a better job preventing that wide open corner jumper on both sides which has surfaced in both games so far.

While all this is accurate, Canisius banked in 1 three, hit a 28 footer in clock shot desperation, and had the one dude hit 2 from beyond 25 feet. Having said that, we obviously need to do a better job preventing that wide open corner jumper on both sides which has surfaced in both games so far.

Somewhere Herve Lamizana was smiling...

51b7USW-nOL._AC_.jpg

Our centers need to contest the corner three. My time machine let me know that is a key in our defensive strategy. Uh oh, that was the past. Now our guys need to fight through picks, play switches and move better instinctively in their rotations

- This team is still learning to play together in the man-for man defense. We allowed too many cuters to the basket in the first half. Matt Park compared it to cornerbacks wondering where the safety help was after a blown coverage.

- In the second half, we gave up too many threes. Some of them were from far out but we couldn’t shake the Golden Griffins because of them. Playing man-for-man was supposed to prevent threes.

- Quadir Copeland and Kyle Cuffe are clearly good players but they were less than outstanding tonight, especially Cuffe who hit one three and had a steal but missed two other shots and had 2 turnovers and committed 3 fouls in just 9 minutes. But these guys are going to spend more time on the Upside than the Downside this season.

- Now It gets real.
We don't have a good center or have no center at all. Tennessee will eat us for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or any P5 team. We are likely to get the 7th place at Maui Invitational.

We don't have a good center or have no center at all. Tennessee will eat us for breakfast, lunch and dinner, or any P5 team. We are likely to get the 7th place at Maui Invitational.
What does your first sentence even mean? We should require at least a D in English from school years to post here. Old report cards are only accepted proof.

Is there such a thing as a "Downvote?"

It ispossible we finish 7th. We could also win the thing. Obviously we need things to break well but I disagree with the statement about the centers. They are not All Americans but there is alot to like and they should get better.

It may turn out that way, but they will improve…and they will need to. I do not agree we don’t have a good center, just inexperienced.

Benny missing is big, he is the second most important player this year, Judah clearly #1. Wish we knew when he comes uback but that will improve the D. Maliq doesn’t look quite 100% to me, still seems to get a ton of pokes and tips though.

Also need to consider, this team was recruited with the zone as the primary D in mind. I think they struggle defensively throughout much of the early season.

This is where the coaching staff and philosophy comes in. Assuming Benny is back soon, Westry gets healthy, another guy who can guard multiple positions, maybe then we see the defensive pressure, which I was REALLY hoping for. At least it’s a possibility with this team and coach, when was the last time we could say that?

- Now It gets real.

If you ask me, I think that until he had that flurry late in the 2nd half to give us a big lead, Judah was our worst player. His defense was laughably bad. I mean, literally ZERO effort on way too many plays.

If you ask me, I think that until he had that flurry late in the 2nd half to give us a big lead, Judah was our worst player. His defense was laughably bad. I mean, literally ZERO effort on way too many plays.
Maybe that's why Judah is still an Orangeman and not a Celtic or a Knick in the big show.

One of those late threes Canisius made was absolutely blanketed, falling away, AND from 25 feet.

It was the kind you laugh about and go play offense. It was definitely the worst, but there were a couple others like that.

If they hadn't made those prayer shots, do we complain as much if we had won by 20?

We really need a down arrow like Reddit.

Jesse over McLeod all day every day. Jesse blocked shots, changed shots, ran out to the corners and swatted shots into the stands. All that and showed up offensively. It's a shame how things turned out with Jesse. Can't even imagine what this team would look like with him.

Last edited:
Jesse over McLeod all day every day. Jesse blocked shots, changed shots, ran out to the corners and swatted shots into the stands. All that and showed up offensively. It's a shame how things turned out with Jesse. Can't even imagine what this team would look like with him.
Well….. when parents get involved doesn’t typically end well

One of those late threes Canisius made was absolutely blanketed, falling away, AND from 25 feet. It was the kind you laugh about and go play offense. It was definitely the worst, but there were a couple others like that.

If they hadn't made those prayer shots, do we complain as much if we had won by 20?
Yes, of course...

You must be new here.

One of those late threes Canisius made was absolutely blanketed, falling away, AND from 25 feet.

It was the kind you laugh about and go play offense. It was definitely the worst, but there were a couple others like that.

We would if we were playing zone. But now we're in man-for-man so now any threes are "absolutely blanketed, falling away, AND from 25 feet".

We would if we were playing zone. But now we're in man-for-man so now any threes are "absolutely blanketed, falling away, AND from 25 feet".
Well, it's true. That one shot was a miracle, another was banked in, and two others were long range Girard Specials.

Having one of those go in was a bit lucky, all four was laughable. I don't think it was as bad as it seemed once I thought about it a bit more.

We still have a ton of work cut out for us before we can compete with the teams in Maui, much less beat them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom