The Downside- Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Clemson is still Clemson and we still aren’t. That was a battle of 5 star recruits against 3 and 4 recruits. Clemson made the plays to win the game and we didn’t. They had already made a season’s worth of mistakes and it was our turn. They know they were in a battle but they also know they won it.

- It really came down to turnovers: We had 3. They had 1 and touchdowns were scored after each. One of ours came on what still looks like an illegal hit to me, (the fuzzy shot posted here appears to have been taken after the initial contact). One came after we botched a pitch out. (That’s a lousy play because it’s the back vs. that half of their defense. Nobody pulled out to block for him and Shrader didn’t make a move to get the defense to react to him before the pitch.) One came after Jeremiah Trotter did a Brooks Robinson imitation to grab an interception on a low ball. (A tired and beat up Shrader threw two more of them after that and had them batted down). So it was the refs, then us then them.

- Cade Klubnik was superb. He shook off 3 sack to complete 23 of 37 passes for 263 yards and 2score with no interceptions. He’s not a Shrader type of scrambler, who looks to get the ball downfield by himself and can rip off 20 yard runs. Instead, Klubnik uses his feet to buy time, sees the field well, sets his feet quick and delivers strikes downfield that gets them bit third downs. He also throws an accurate long ball. And his receivers are well-coached. When Cade is scrambling, they know to circle back and give him options to throw to.

- Shrader, on the other hand, seemed hesitant to run after his encounter with Justin Mascoll’s helmet. When he did, he slid to avoid contact several times when he might have had a good gain. (Should the ball be placed where it was when he hit the ground or when he started his slide? We seemed to have lost two yards on the spot every time he took a dive.) Then he was throwing side-arm at the end, resulting in those low balls. He also threw for two scores but barely completed 50%, (15/29) with that one critical pick.

- When Jeremiah Wilson let Beaux Collins waltz by him to catch a 47 yard TD with 2:23 left in the half to make it 7-21 instead of 7-14, I was sad.

- Alijah ‘Cinco’ Clark interfered with Tyler Brown’s attempt to field a punt and Marlowe Wax bumped into Cade Klubnik long after he’d throw the pass. Those guys are our CAPTAINS.

- We dropped three interceptions, all of which could have been Pick-6’s. Donovan Brown also dropped a pass on a perfectly set up trick play with Vallari’s pass and Damien Alford dropped a ball on third down when he get hit hard – but he still had it in both hands. There was a third offensive drop but I can’t recall the details at the moment. ZZZzzz…

TBH, I saw Shrader slide a number of times after running in ACC highlights of previous games this year. That is actually a good characteristic for a (sometimes) running QB as it extends his longevity.

TBH, I saw Shrader slide a number of times after running in ACC highlights of previous games this year. That is actually a good characteristic for a (sometimes) running QB as it extends his longevity.

But should there be two yards difference between where the ball winds up and where the refs put it?

It has something to do with that knee thing I think.

It has something to do with that knee thing I think.

I think it has to do with it being the equivalent of taking a knee but if they actually tried to slam on the breaks to do that, they might hurt themselves.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom