The Downside-Clemson | Syracusefan.com

The Downside-Clemson

SWC75

Bored Historian
- If there IS such a thing as learning how to win, it’s apparently not on the curriculum for the football team. When do we get the victories that will really turn this program around?

- We are back to feeling good about this team but we are also back to going on the road. We’ve had four road games and have lost three of them by three touchdowns, (plus field goal in too=wo of them), and an overtime loss to a bad team we led by ten going into the fourth quarter. The games that have produced all the discontent have been the road games and it would be just like this team to lay an egg next week in Raleigh and make everybody feel bad again.

- Do you think those refs want Clemson in the playoff? Either that or they are The Three Stooges plus Shemp.

- Please explain why, when you get the ball with 37 seconds left in the half, (and you’re going to get it again to start the second half), you run a conventional running play- and then left the last 24 seconds of the half run out as you walk off the field? If you are going to do that, why not just take a knee. And what are you going to lose if you take a risk and try to score? An interception that will ruin your reputation? We’re trying to GET a reputation?

- About 11 minutes left. We are down 24-34. We have a 3rd and 1 from the Clemson 4. We line up in the pistol with Mahoney at the 7 and George Morris at the 10. Carlos Watkins blows up Ivan Foy and intercepts Morris three yards behind the line of scrimmage. We have to settle for a field goal. If Mahoney was under center, Watkins might still have gotten to Morris. But he wouldn’t have gotten to Mahoney if he’s sneaking it. Can we get the quarterback under center and the back right behind him for short yardage situations, please?

That 3rd and 1 play pissed me off so much. Of all the calls ...

That and the tunnel screen that was run by Clemson all day long and was always there for them. Not as upset about that as I was about something that is 100% in out control -- offensive play calling.

The end of the first half was so frustrating. What is the goal? If you're trying to run plays and do something, why not use the sidelines and work the clock?
It wasn't a ton of time but if you're just going to play aimlessly, why not take a knee?

The end of the first half was so frustrating. What is the goal? If you're trying to run plays and do something, why not use the sidelines and work the clock?
It wasn't a ton of time but if you're just going to play aimlessly, why not take a knee?

what if...just what if someone got hurt on the play...

what if...just what if someone got hurt on the play...

Then honestly, what's the point of having a football program if you're worried about this? Someone can or
does get hurt on every single play. You had a legitimate chance to try anything deep for a few plays in an
attempt to score right before halftime, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this partially the point of doing
those stupid pooch kicks against Pitt and FSU, to get the ball back and try anything? It can't honestly be
because they believe kicking it 20 yards downfield is helpful for the D?

The 3rd and "1" at the five was just the most frustrating play not affected by referees at that game. I just
wonder if the staff tries so hard to be cute they out-think themselves. What was wrong with setting up
in a run formation with one WR and trying to hammer forward? Lester loves running that option, why
didn't they run it to the long side of the field?

Kev

Then honestly, what's the point of having a football program if you're worried about this? Someone can or
does get hurt on every single play. You had a legitimate chance to try anything deep for a few plays in an
attempt to score right before halftime, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this partially the point of doing
those stupid pooch kicks against Pitt and FSU, to get the ball back and try anything? It can't honestly be
because they believe kicking it 20 yards downfield is helpful for the D?

The 3rd and "1" at the five was just the most frustrating play not affected by referees at that game. I just
wonder if the staff tries so hard to be cute they out-think themselves. What was wrong with setting up
in a run formation with one WR and trying to hammer forward? Lester loves running that option, why
didn't they run it to the long side of the field?

Kev

my point, obviously not clearly stated, was more what if someone got hurt on a meaningless running play when you weren't going for anything anyhow

100% agreed they should have tried to move the ball there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom