The Downside - CMU | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - CMU

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Until the burst of big third quarter plays, we’d bene treading water for six quarters against fair C-USA and Mac teams, meaning that’s what we were. Unfortunately, we are in the Atlantic division of the ACC. No more splashing around in the shallow end of the pool. The gauntlet starts next week and we likely haven’t played a game yet that would beat any of the teams we have left to play.

- We scored 41 point but left a bunch more on the field. Dontae Strickland had a 30 yard TD run on the opening drive negated by a hold on the perimeter that had nothing to do with springing him. We settled for a field goal. Steve Ismael got stripped on the way to another long score. A long pass down the sideline on which riley made a great catch was negated by a penalty on a receiver, (which could have bene Riley), lining up behind the line of scrimmage rather than on it. There was an illegal bock on another Riley return.

- CMU’s first two scores came off SU turnovers and they had drive extended by our penalties. We had 9 of them in this game for 104 yards Four were personal fouls and one was for unsportsmanlike conduct. That’s got to be cleaned up.

- We often get excited about newcomers like Markenzy Pierre and Ravian Pierce. We admire their talent but fail to realize how much they have to learn. Pierre’s first quarter fumble stopped and SU drive in Chippewa territory and gave them an opportunity to score on a big play. Chris Gedney noted how much Coach Babers had praised Chris Elmore, another freshman simply for holding onto the ball. Pierre didn’t protect the ball the way Elmore did and it cost us. _Pierce had a couple of big penalties, including the hold on Strickland’s run and an unsportsmanlike conduct. He later scored a TD. Baby steps.

- Our offense can be very productive but it’s all dependent on rhythm, timing and pace. When it’s lacking those characteristics, it can look pretty bad. Other offenses need those things, too, but if you are dominating the line of scrimmage, you can overcome those problems. It’s almost like watching a pressing team in basketball. Score on your end and they have to take in in from out of bounds, which allows you to set up the press, which gets the ball back and allows you to score again so you can set up the press again. If you don’ t get the ball back or you don’t score, the circuit is broken and the game looks very different. We saw what can happen when the circuit is connected in the third quarter. We saw what happens when it isn’t in the six quarters before that.

- Some of the plays seem poorly designed. CMU threw a swing pass to a receiver who ahd turned downfield and had two blockers in front of him. We throw swing passes to players who are running towards the sideline and have to turn to get the ball or run after ti to catch up to it. Dungey does this little look one way then look the other dance and has little time to spot his receiver. That inside screen need to be set up beyond the line of scrimmage so the QB can lob the ball over the incoming rushers, not in the middle of the blitz with Dungey trying to throw darts into an area so crowded it looked like the men’s room at halftime, (all they needed was the pee trough).

- Dungey missed 16 of 35 passes, (he hit 54%). A lot of the misses were deep shots down the field that were over-thrown – just barely. Hopefully he and his receivers will get better coordinated.

- A lot of players were down on the ground in this game and it was more than the heat. Erv Phillips went full extension to get a ball and had it bunce under him so he landed on it. He was down for a while and finally helped off the field. I didn’t see him come back. The strange one was Julian Dowels who took on a full-bore running back head on and lost. He got up but was wobbling around, then suddenly fainted and was also down for a while. He later sprang up and ran off the field. He then returned in the second half. But he was surely unconscious for a time. I was surprised he was cleared to return.

- Jack Sheldon’s punts were strange-looking, all line drives designed not to be fielded and to roll for big yardage. Still, Sean Riley had to catch that one he let go over his shoulder just before the half. And why didn’t we got after those line-drives and see if we could block one?

- What the heck was the plan right after that? We took one shot downfield, then an up the middle as if we wanted to run out the clock, except we couldn’t without getting a first down first. We had to punt the ball back to them.

I worry about the IQ of SU football. We make bonehead plays. The prime example today was downing a punt on the one yard line while in the end zone to insure a touch back. All the player had to do was let the ball come to rest. Or approach it deliberately and place his hand on it to keep it from wobbling into the end zone.

How is this not taught? Pee Wee football players know how to do this.

A team rarely can play an A+ game two weeks in a row. Today wasn't an A+ game and in fact overall was probably a B grade. We blew out a mid-level G5 team by 3 1/2 TDs and yet we are capable of better.

I think the mistakes we made are actually encouraging because despite them we still blew out CMU.

I too felt like HCDB was intentionally having Dungey stretch the field for long passes even when it wasn't the strategic best play at the moment. A bunch of those throws were ill timed between QB and WR but that'll improve. Seemed like an intentional overreaction to last weeks longest pass play of 16 yards. I liked it.

A team rarely can play an A+ game two weeks in a row. Today wasn't an A+ game and in fact overall was probably a B grade. We blew out a mid-level G5 team by 3 1/2 TDs and yet we are capable of better.

I think the mistakes we made are actually encouraging because despite them we still blew out CMU.

I too felt like HCDB was intentionally having Dungey stretch the field for long passes even when it wasn't the strategic best play at the moment. A bunch of those throws were ill timed between QB and WR but that'll improve. Seemed like an intentional overreaction to last weeks longest pass play of 16 yards. I liked it.

I think the most exciting thing is the substantial improvement of our defense, (which, will, of course, be test in the next few weeks). We blew them out not because the offense was fully productive but because the defense controlled CMU so they couldn't keep up.

Now comes the 4th week. ;)

Mr. Pierce had an interesting game, you can see he is a very emotional young man and with that you are going to have some very good plays and some what the hecks. Both he and Ishmael carry the ball too far from the body at times.
They have to do more little things right like the pointed out 1 yard like mistake because from here on the schedule won't allow basic errors like that and not take off long TD's or plays with penalties. Also, the DL HAS to get to the qb and sack him, close is good than not close but these plays have to be made as the season progresses. I'm happy for the team getting a win, they work hard and now it's off to Death Valley.

When you have explosive plays called back, at least you see the team is capable of explosive plays. Some of the penalties or mistakes were boneheaded, others were from an excess of enthusiasm.

We have worried about depth (per Dino, the 1's are pretty good, and then there are questions). Good to see some of the back-ups (Riley and Neal) contribute big plays, and on the defense, there was a good rotation with back-ups contributing.

Think about how many snaps Carl Jones got last year and look how many so far this year. The kid was put into the fire last year and now he can learn at a decent pace from the elders.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom