The Downside (Colgate) | Syracusefan.com

The Downside (Colgate)

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I was very concerned with the blocking, or lack of it in the center of the line. We kept trying to run it up the middle, (too much in the second half, when we started to bog down) and the plays went nowhere. Even on Moe Neal’s long run, he had to bust it outside, then cut back to get around the mess in the middle. Neal had 19 yards in 8 carries other than that play. Dontae Strickland had 20 yards in 9 carries and Jordan Fredericks 10 in 4 carries. Those guys are all capable of breaking big plays but other than Neal’s big run they totaled 49 yards in 21 carries, 2.3 yards per carry. It didn’t help that we didn’t seem to have any variety in our running plays but that’s not unusual in this era of one back backfields. You would think completing 34 passes would open things up, but it didn’t. Dungey was sacked three times and in each case, the pressure came from up the middle. Louisville has a fellow named DeAngelo Brown who, per Lindy’s is “a rock in the middle of the line…a disruptive bull of a tackle. Remember Nick Fairley against Oregon?

- Those receivers aren’t going to be wide open against Louisville. Dungey isn’t going to be able to play catch with his receivers next week.

- Yes Cole Murphy had a great game with four field goals but Dino Babers will never be happy with a game in which we get more field goals than touchdowns.

- After the game Matt Park congratulated Amba Etta-Tawo on tying Art Monk’s record for receptions in a game. Why is that a downside? Two reasons. AET didn’t know who Art Monk was. And he hadn’t tied his record- Erv Phillips did.

- I was very concerned with the blocking, or lack of it in the center of the line. We kept trying to run it up the middle, (too much in the second half, when we started to bog down) and the plays went nowhere. Even on Moe Neal’s long run, he had to bust it outside, then cut back to get around the mess in the middle. Neal had 19 yards in 8 carries other than that play. Dontae Strickland had 20 yards in 9 carries and Jordan Fredericks 10 in 4 carries. Those guys are all capable of breaking big plays but other than Neal’s big run they totaled 49 yards in 21 carries, 2.3 yards per carry. It didn’t help that we didn’t seem to have any variety in our running plays but that’s not unusual in this era of one back backfields. You would think completing 34 passes would open things up, but it didn’t. Dungey was sacked three times and in each case, the pressure came from up the middle. Louisville has a fellow named DeAngelo Brown who, per Lindy’s is “a rock in the middle of the line…a disruptive bull of a tackle. Remember Nick Fairley against Oregon?

- Those receivers aren’t going to be wide open against Louisville. Dungey isn’t going to be able to play catch with his receivers next week.

- Yes Cole Murphy had a great game with four field goals but Dino Babers will never be happy with a game in which we get more field goals than touchdowns.

- After the game Matt Park congratulated Amba Etta-Tawo on tying Art Monk’s record for receptions in a game. Why is that a downside? Two reasons. AET didn’t know who Art Monk was. And he hadn’t tied his record- Erv Phillips did.
4fg???? no red zone or run game, poor secondary pass coverage,3 or 4 sacs, plus several plays that made dungey hurry. not overly impressed by this performance. i did not think we looked like a decent d1 team. at this point the oline is virtually non existent. i suspect the pace will actually drop off against better competion. there will be adjustments made offensively just out of need to protect dungey.

i think we are nitpicking, in the past when we "squeaked" out these FCS wins the narrative was always, "but they were in the FCS semifinals last year!". Colgate really was a good FCS team, and we beat them handily while admittedly not playing that great. Baby steps

Colgate had 3 -6 wide open drops that will be caught by D-1 receivers for big yardage, Not impressed by this system,too much east & West throws ,those sideline screens wont work against ACC teams, the only difference in the play calling from last years team and this team is No huddle and more passing,(last years team could run)

Colgate had 3 -6 wide open drops that will be caught by D-1 receivers for big yardage, Not impressed by this system,too much east & West throws ,those sideline screens wont work against ACC teams, the only difference in the play calling from last years team and this team is No huddle and more passing,(last years team could run)

Step back from your keyboard and enjoy the win! Take 2 Tylenol and go outside and get some sun.

You my friend have no idea what will or will not work in the ACC. Second I will agree that ACC heavyweights like Clemson & FSU will make those plays but all the others will have drops like that.

The exciting part is where this program is headed based upon what we saw in game 1 with both a brand new system on both sides of the ball.

That wasn't the whole system. Just enough to beat Colgate.

I agree with your 1st 3 bullets, my thoughts exactly.

gotta get a better O push, coverage will tighten, and I wanted more TDs.

as for the last point...good lord.

You must be great at parties

interesting that clemson/unc/fsu and others all run those short passing schemes yet they dont work for us. we ran little in blocking schemes, which is good and bad. did we save some, or are we trouble, too early to tell. as for the passing D. yeah we got lucky 3-4 times, but also could have had 2-3 Ints and were one penalty away from pitching a shutout.

a lot of teams played much worse teams and had more struggles than us. I dont expect win next week and we could lose by 30, but it wont shock me if it happen either.

This O is designed to take advantage of the fact that DC's still think it is acceptable to play a base 4-3 in today's game. Sure teams that have great athletes at LB will be able to handle it. But the other 3/4 of the teams on our schedule won't.

interesting that clemson/unc/fsu and others all run those short passing schemes yet they dont work for us. we ran little in blocking schemes, which is good and bad. did we save some, or are we trouble, too early to tell. as for the passing D. yeah we got lucky 3-4 times, but also could have had 2-3 Ints and were one penalty away from pitching a shutout.

a lot of teams played much worse teams and had more struggles than us. I dont expect win next week and we could lose by 30, but it wont shock me if it happen either.

34 for 40 for 355 works for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom