The Downside - Connecticut | Syracusefan.com

The Downside - Connecticut

SWC75

Bored Historian
- You knew it wasn’t our night when you saw that whoever does our uniforms had misspelled the name of the coach’s son (“Boheim”). “You had one job….” At least he didn’t spell it “Bowie”.

- We got out-hustled. Connecticut got to more loose balls and out-rebounded a taller team by a resounding 32-46. On top of that their coach, their bench and their fans were far more animated than SU’s equivalents. That’s not just frustrating. It’s disheartening.

- Even with that the real difference in the game was three point shooting. We were 19 for 45 from the arc in the two exhibition games, (42.2%). We are now 12 for 55 (21.8%) in the three games that count. Yes we aren’t playing Division 2 teams now but most of those shots were relatively open but we couldn’t sink them. We also settled too much for jump shots when the paint was relatively open the whole game.

- Meanwhile Connecticut was 12 for 21 from outside (57.1%). Yes, many of them were from NBA range or even farther but JB emotionally declared in a post-game presser last year that if a player is making them from 25 feet, you’ve got to guard them 25 feet out.

- Jalen Carey gives you a lot but he’s stills a freshman. He’s got to get stronger with the ball, play under some control and get the ball to his teammates. He had 0 assists in a game where we scored 26 field goals and 6 turnovers. Sorry, but that’s not a point guard. He has a crossover move that much have been dy-o-mite on the playgrounds but isn’t getting it done here. He’ll learn but right now he’s being schooled.

- This team doesn’t have a pure point guard, unless it’s Howard Washington, who wasn’t good enough to be given a shot in this game. Frank Howard still isn’t ready and last year he was mostly a jumps hooter who brought the ball up rather than a guy who got everybody organized and broke down a defense. Our offense was basically guys going one-on-one all night. We had 10 assists to Connecticut’s 22 and three of ours came from Dolezaj, who was playing center for us.

- Oshae Brissett has to be thinking about jumping to the NBA after this year and he should have dominated tonight- they had no one to guard him. But he settled for pull up jumpers and threes and shot 3 for 15. Mr. Double-double had 8 points and 5 rebounds.

- Tyus Battle is good at those pull-up jumpers and can take it to the rim but he settled for outside jumpers and missed 10 of 17 shots.

- Elijah Hughes hit a couple of late 3’s to get to 15 points but was only 5 for 14 from the field and fouled out.

- Somebody always goes off on us in these losses. Eric Cobb’s career averages going into this game were 1.5 points and 2.1 rebounds. His career scoring game had been 6 points- against us last year. In this game he out-maneuvered our centers for 13 points and 13 rebounds. He even got his first career 3 pointer.

- Meanwhile Chukwu and Sidibe totaled 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks and 6 fouls. Cobb went around them or under them to score and get rebounds all night. Eventually JB went with Dolezaj playing center and that’s when we made our run at them.

- You knew it wasn’t our night when you saw that whoever does our uniforms had misspelled the name of the coach’s son (“Boheim”). “You had one job….” At least he didn’t spell it “Bowie”.

- We got out-hustled. Connecticut got to more loose balls and out-rebounded a taller team by a resounding 32-46. On top of that their coach, their bench and their fans were far more animated than SU’s equivalents. That’s not just frustrating. It’s disheartening.

- Even with that the real difference in the game was three point shooting. We were 19 for 45 from the arc in the two exhibition games, (42.2%). We are now 12 for 55 (21.8%) in the three games that count. Yes we aren’t playing Division 2 teams now but most of those shots were relatively open but we couldn’t sink them. We also settled too much for jump shots when the paint was relatively open the whole game.

- Meanwhile Connecticut was 12 for 21 from outside (57.1%). Yes, many of them were from NBA range or even farther but JB emotionally declared in a post-game presser last year that if a player is making them from 25 feet, you’ve got to guard them 25 feet out.

- Jalen Carey gives you a lot but he’s stills a freshman. He’s got to get stronger with the ball, play under some control and get the ball to his teammates. He had 0 assists in a game where we scored 26 field goals and 6 turnovers. Sorry, but that’s not a point guard. He has a crossover move that much have been dy-o-mite on the playgrounds but isn’t getting it done here. He’ll learn but right now he’s being schooled.

- This team doesn’t have a pure point guard, unless it’s Howard Washington, who wasn’t good enough to be given a shot in this game. Frank Howard still isn’t ready and last year he was mostly a jumps hooter who brought the ball up rather than a guy who got everybody organized and broke down a defense. Our offense was basically guys going one-on-one all night. We had 10 assists to Connecticut’s 22 and three of ours came from Dolezaj, who was playing center for us.

- Oshae Brissett has to be thinking about jumping to the NBA after this year and he should have dominated tonight- they had no one to guard him. But he settled for pull up jumpers and threes and shot 3 for 15. Mr. Double-double had 8 points and 5 rebounds.

- Tyus Battle is good at those pull-up jumpers and can take it to the rim but he settled for outside jumpers and missed 10 of 17 shots.

- Elijah Hughes hit a couple of late 3’s to get to 15 points but was only 5 for 14 from the field and fouled out.

- Somebody always goes off on us in these losses. Eric Cobb’s career averages going into this game were 1.5 points and 2.1 rebounds. His career scoring game had been 6 points- against us last year. In this game he out-maneuvered our centers for 13 points and 13 rebounds. He even got his first career 3 pointer.

- Meanwhile Chukwu and Sidibe totaled 8 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks and 6 fouls. Cobb went around them or under them to score and get rebounds all night. Eventually JB went with Dolezaj playing center and that’s when we made our run at them.

I had to find something to feel good about, and LOLed at 3 of our 10 assists coming from Dolezaj, playing center. SWC, you found a way to make me feel good after a rough night, thanks!

PS Youre upside/downside inspired me as a tribute(along with the Payside which inspired me as a parody) to write my "backside" in the past. Tonight would have been a good night for it, but for some reason I just didnt feel it in me. My inaspiration comes a bit differently than your dilligence...quite frankly, I'm not aware how you remain so disciplined/inspired/diligent for all of these, but I am grateful for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom