The Downside- Florida State | Syracusefan.com

The Downside- Florida State

SWC75

Bored Historian
- This was the first time since the days of the Carrier Classic that I went to the Dome on successive days. Actually, I saw two games within about 25 hours. In both games the bigger, faster, deeper and more talented team decisively defeated a valiant but overmatched opponent. We ARE Florida State on the basketball court. But on the football field we are Monmouth.

- The game stats never appeared on the ribbon board during the game, but the ads still worked. Funny about that. It’s probably for the best. Florida State ran for 334 yards and passed for 320 for a total of 654 yards total offense. We ran for 37 yard and passed for 196, a total of 223 yards. It allowed them to overcome 4 turnovers and still win easily 45-14.

- It seemed almost unfair that we had to take on this obviously superior team without even being full strength with so many key players out. It snowballed as the game progressed as we lost our two leading tacklers, linebackers Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett. Offensive guard Aaron Roberts had to be helped off the field and you can see he was already wearing braces on both knees. Florida State had some guys go down, too but the guys who come into replace them are just as good. That’s not the case here at Monmouth….errr Syracuse.

- A moment in the life of Jamar McGloster, (as described by Matt Park and Chris Gedney): Jamar, after we had a first and goal at the FSU 8 in the second quarter, Jamar lined up three yards behind the line of scrimmage, got into his stance, realized where he was and walked forward to get into the correct position. He got called for first of two false starts by SU players in that down series and 4 in the game.

- Florida State was all over Zach Mahoney and his teammates, recording 7 sacks and 10 tackles for a loss.

- Meanwhile the FSU offensive line was dominating our depleted defensive line, opening holes for Dalvin Cook, who had 223 yards rushing and 4TDs, on three of which he was untouched. They were particularly impressive on wide plays, where they did a great job sealing off defenders. Chris Gedney suggested they did a great job of holding but, hey, if you can get away with it, it’s not holding.

- George Morris was running the football in the late going. If Jordan Fredericks hurt? Or is he now 4th string?

I think George Morris was just getting Senior Day carries.

The McGloster false start was pretty funny, and of course sad.

I knew today would be bad so I was pretty calm. But the false starts and that terrible fade throw were a little maddening. It's one thing to be overmatched. It's another to just fail at the basics, especially at home.

- This was the first time since the days of the Carrier Classic that I went to the Dome on successive days. Actually, I saw two games within about 25 hours. In both games the bigger, faster, deeper and more talented team decisively defeated a valiant but overmatched opponent. We ARE Florida State on the basketball court. But on the football field we are Monmouth.

- The game stats never appeared on the ribbon board during the game, but the ads still worked. Funny about that. It’s probably for the best. Florida State ran for 334 yards and passed for 320 for a total of 654 yards total offense. We ran for 37 yard and passed for 196, a total of 223 yards. It allowed them to overcome 4 turnovers and still win easily 45-14.

- It seemed almost unfair that we had to take on this obviously superior team without even being full strength with so many key players out. It snowballed as the game progressed as we lost our two leading tacklers, linebackers Zaire Franklin and Parris Bennett. Offensive guard Aaron Roberts had to be helped off the field and you can see he was already wearing braces on both knees. Florida State had some guys go down, too but the guys who come into replace them are just as good. That’s not the case here at Monmouth….errr Syracuse.

- A moment in the life of Jamar McGloster, (as described by Matt Park and Chris Gedney): Jamar, after we had a first and goal at the FSU 8 in the second quarter, Jamar lined up three yards behind the line of scrimmage, got into his stance, realized where he was and walked forward to get into the correct position. He got called for first of two false starts by SU players in that down series and 4 in the game.

- Florida State was all over Zach Mahoney and his teammates, recording 7 sacks and 10 tackles for a loss.

- Meanwhile the FSU offensive line was dominating our depleted defensive line, opening holes for Dalvin Cook, who had 223 yards rushing and 4TDs, on three of which he was untouched. They were particularly impressive on wide plays, where they did a great job sealing off defenders. Chris Gedney suggested they did a great job of holding but, hey, if you can get away with it, it’s not holding.

- George Morris was running the football in the late going. If Jordan Fredericks hurt? Or is he now 4th string?
Almost all OL wear dual knee braces these days. It helps with stability.

The penalties kill me. Babers seems to have his team prepared in most areas but not this one.

Mahoney couldn't do much out there today. Don't know how much to blame the O Line as the throws just weren't on target.

We all expected the result. It could have been worse. I know we have a second team o line snapping to a second string QB but this looks like more than three years of improvement out there. Not to mention all the losses on defense. Every year we have these injuries and just don't have depth to overcome them. Same old song.

Almost all OL wear dual knee braces these days. It helps with stability.

These seemed more substantial than anything on the other linemen.

dino plays speedball against a team destined to kick your a@@. all he manages is an extra 200 yds + 18-20 points surrendered to the opposition.
seen this replay too many times this season. no...well actually i tune out somewhere in the 2nd quarter. the yardage we give up is measured in acres.
+5,000 season and 488 yds/g and over 35 points. better to keep this defense off the field. this is basically the 4th game over in the 1st qtr.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom